Xantia drop links - how to check 'em

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotsupnow
My Cars:

Xantia drop links - how to check 'em

Post by wotsupnow »

1998 1.9TDLX 5 door, knocking front and rigid suspension. Replaced drop links which cured knocking, coupla weeks later replaced front spheres and got suspension. Shortly afterwards the knocking came back, put car at full height and you can easily rotate the links but can't feel any movement up/down in/out, do I need to lever the antiroll bar to feel for movement ? what else can have gone, antiroll bar bushes look ok in that they have rubber all round, can't feel any play in wheels, sounds exactly like it did before I changed them, they where the cheaper set that A/S had at the time, perhaps they're not as good as origs.
Pete
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

I also have a front suspension knock which isn't related to the drop links. Having checked everything, I have decided it comes from the front height control valve linkage. I reduced the knock by tightening it's mounting bolts, but it's still there to an extent. When the weather is better, I will remove the unit and check for play.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Suggestions:
- inboard front suspension arm bushes
- bottom ball joint
- anti roll bar bushes (although they aren't nearly as noisy as the drop links)
To check the condition of the drop links, raise the front wheels off the ground (preferably on a lift or over a pit) and smack the underside of the lower end of the link with the heal of your hand. If you hear a knock, they've got to come off!
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Turned out it was the new drop links.
Raised suspension, turned steering to left, went to o/s wing, put bar between wishbone and antiroll bar and pressed down, bottom ball joint of drop link nearly came out !. Fitted new pair and now it's nice and smooth.
I assume thay are meant to last more than 3-4 months ........
Pete
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Depends on who you buy them from . . . .
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I had a speight of these crap drop links a while back, one bastard even had play in it while it was still sealed in the plastic bag, but what really p!sses me off is your local sh!te motor factor doesn't offer you a bean for your trouble when you have to return this type of crap, try taking something back that is just unwanted and they shove a handling and restocking charge up you, shysters.
Anyway the links to get are Moog's by Federal Mogul from GSF.
Dave
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Had one last less than 6000 miles. It was done by the garage as part of the MOT so not sure of the source of the part but given the total cost of the parts on the bill and everything else that was done it must have been next to nothing.
Rory
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Is it true that there is 2 types for a xantia, I read somewhere that there is a 10mm and a 12mm one if so will the bigger ones fit my 96-97 1.9 td xant[:D]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes there are two sizes, it only refers to the size of the screw threads on the the actual ball joints, the rod diameter of the link is the same.
10mm up to 12/94, 12mm from 1/95 onward.
Dave