Mysterious O-ring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Mysterious O-ring

Post by lazza »

HI All

Well I sussed what was wrong with my initial input shaft seal replacement- i overlooked the release-bearing guide sleeve O-ring seal. It was mentioned in Haynes, but I assumed it would be something loose and as I couldnt find it assumed it wasnt there- somehow overlooking the squashed rubber seal on the guide sleeve itself.

Here's the pic of the old one compared to the new one- frustrating thing is it was only a few more euros to replace the whole sleeve with the seal already correctly inserted than the first repair i did of just replacing the seal #-o . Cost me alot of sweat again to redo the job, but at least I got the chance to try out my new engine support beam thingy as recommended on the forum :)- made the job much safer and simpler.

https://goo.gl/photos/9Qyjs3A7yt9ug4n7A
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... 37x-xy-ckb

So no more leaks from there at least- final MOT next week - in theory should be a formality of just checking the new tyres- wish me luck!

Cheers
Lazza
Last edited by lazza on 22 Sep 2016, 17:13, edited 3 times in total.
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Mysterious O-ring

Post by CitroJim »

Larry, I can't see the attachment... Google wants me to log in which from where I am I can't at the moment so without I cannot shed any light yet.

Can you redo the picture in a more easily accessed way please?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have a Google account, the image is blocked
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Stickyfinger wrote:I have a Google account, the image is blocked
Same here.
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Strange it worked previously- all's gone haywire since google obliged me to have google photos instead of picasa- have changed link in original message- does it work now?
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes it does..

That's not an O Ring Larry but a proper full-blooded Garter Oil Seal..

Was it leaking previously as simply removing and replacing the 'box to do a clutch change should not have disturbed it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

oops- sillly me :oops: a garter oil seal, never heard of that before

yeah i reckon it was leaking before. I thought that the gearbox drain plug had a slight leak, but i reckon it was running down to there from inside the bellhousing- it wasnt a fantastic amount and nothing compared to the oil coming from the crankshaft seal, so i paid little attention. I guess taking it out and putting it back on simply worsened an existing problem.

I'd advise anyone thinking of doing this job, at least for the Xantia, to simply buy the whole guide sleeve with the oil seal already snuggly fitted, it cost an extra 8 euros or something daft
Living in exile in Spain
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Wait a minute- just looked up garter oil seal on google- that's the oil seal i changed-

i'm referring to the grey rubber ring actually stuck to the guide sleeve 8-[
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lazza wrote: i'm referring to the grey rubber ring actually stuck to the guide sleeve 8-[
If the garter seal is doing its job Larry, I can't see the grey one has much of a role really... More of a packing piece rather than a seal.

I know this item is not present on the ML5 gearbox as fitted to large engined Xantias...
Jim

lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Mmm well in my case it seems to have been the problem. I was checking how I'd put the garter seal in the old sleeve because I'd had my doubts, but it's position was identical to the pre-inserted seal in the new sleeve. All very mysterious ☺
Living in exile in Spain