Driveshafts and CV joints?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

Driveshafts and CV joints?

Post by superloopy »

My 1995 TD has developed a 'jerking' when I decelerate and wont just 'coast' along in any gear when i take my foot off the gas. I have to drop it down a gear and then accelerate back up through the gears. This is becoming a painful daily drive as I do a round trip of 16 miles taking SWMBO back and forth. Any ideas?? I'm kinda hoping someone might say CV joints and the like as currently I have an ABS light on because, I suspect, a reluctor ring has given up and maybe it's time to consider a driveshaft swap. I've a couple of genuine Citroen swapouts ready in the shed where they've been for around 9 years. Should I factor in their replacement as a cure for one or maybe both of the problems?
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Driveshafts and CV joints?

Post by jgra1 »

I would lift both front wheels Manic, and check brakes and especially handbrake isnt binding.. will only take a minute with a trolley jack etc

if you cant do that, let it roll down a hill in gear, and check any heat buildup on all 4 wheels afterwards

John
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Ok ... cheers John, done that and all ok, no drag on the discs. Could this jerkiness, more of a hesitation when i lift (i know, it should hesitate when i'm not accelerating [emoji3]) be fuel related? Yhe car pulls well but lift off and it slows with a discernible judder so much so that i need to either accelerate again or change down in which gear the same thing happens if i slowdown. Strange eh. Hasn't just started, been aware of this for a good few months now thats why i'm looking at cv joints, in fact anything drivetrain related?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Fuel filter changed today ... it's not that although it hasn't had one for a good while. Beginning to get me down now, my last 'roadworthy' Xant and now it's not even that :(
Mike

rookie
My Cars:

Post by rookie »

If it's of any help. I had a similar problem on a 806. Even when being towed on an a frame, no one in the 806, enine off and the ignition at position 1, the brakes locked on solid, to such an extent that the tow vehicle was struggling to pull it.

It turned out that one of the rubber brake hoses had delaminated internally. Pressurised oil was trapped between the skins of rubber in the brake hose and as the pressure slowly crept out of the skins and back into the bore of the brake hose, it applied the brake.

Took me a long time to discover the problem but it was as simple as changing a £15 brake hose.

The other thing to look at is your calipers. Have you been by any chance pressing the pistons back into the caliper on a brake pad change ?, bad idea, the back pressure can turn the seals in the system and cause a similar problem.

Always press the pistons back in with the bleed screw open to releive the pressure created.