Xantia Sony CD power problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Xantia Sony CD power problem

Post by tonyb1 »

I fitted a Sony CDX-R3000 to my 1994 Xantia using the PC9-109 adaptor lead. For some reason it's draining the power from my battery in 5 to 6 hours, can anyone advise on what to do? Thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sure the device is not constantly powered on for some reason ?
- like display lights constantly lit ?
There should be a very smallish constant power drain - less than battery self discharge - to keep alive the Sony memory circuits for code etc.
Your Sony unit may be defective - or the adaptor is faulty - or you had a mishap installing the adaptor - causing the powerdrain.
A good rule is always to go back where you last fiddled - and doublecheck things over & over again.
Any chance that something else is draining the battery - coinciding with the Sony installation ?
How fast is the battery drained ?
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

It took just over 5 hours to drain, all the wiring is ok and I left nothing running. The stereo was off and the front panel was not on the stereo during the five hours.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I just fitted a Sony CDX L580X CD/Radio. It has two supplies. One for normal power from the ignition aux and a permanent one for memory. But today as I took the face off with all the car turned off and key out, I pressed the CD in/out button and was surprised that the CD came out. so the permanent supply is powering more than just the memory. If I offered a new CD to the slot it willingly sucked it in, again with all power "off".
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tony -
I can't believe your Sony unit can drain the battery in 5hrs [?][?]
Assuming you have a standard battery in good condition - a 60AmpHrs battery would probably at least have some 40-50AmpHrs capacity left.
50AmpHrs/5Hrs = 10Amp consumption to drain your battery in 5Hrs !!
That's a power of something like 130watts !!
If your Sony unit drains this at idle - then it's not a radio anymore - it's a melted lump [8)]
I'd instantly have a look on the heated rear screen - as I suspect this for some faulty reason to be constantly powered. It takes precisely about this wattage to drain the battery in 5Hrs.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Check the position of the radio fuse in the fuse box...it can be in both IGN and perm live positions (check the handbook/Haynes BOL). I had to permanently live feed the radio in my old Xantia because it kept losing the code, even though the permanent live to the radio was on. The Sony unit may/may not actually turn off completely with the face off.
Granted, if you're losing the battery in 5-6 hrs, it's either very dead, or as AndersDK says, something else is taking shed loads of current like the HRW, or the Glow plugs?
I'ev just fitted a Sony unit with the Autoleads adaptor...you've got me worried now!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Just checked mine after being not run for 3 days and it's fine. It could be that your adaptor is not wired correctly from the factory...does the stereo work OK on its own?
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Kev my cd head unit is a sony one, forget which model, but even when the ignition is off you can eject the cd and offer up a new disc to it, although it is not possible to switch it on without the ignition. I think this is standard behaviour.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I've found out the problem!!! I rang the manufacurers, The Joystick Jack (steering wheel control) is left live when the unit is off (SONY CDX-R3000). I have disconnected this and it is now ok. There is an additional cable available that cuts the power to the steering wheel when you turn the engine off (PC9-208). This will end the problem and give me full control. Thanks to all replies, much appreciated.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I ran a CDX-MP40 with an Autoleads adaptor in my Xantia for as long as I had it and never had a problem.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueboy2001</i>

I ran a CDX-MP40 with an Autoleads adaptor in my Xantia for as long as I had it and never had a problem.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's the one I've got as well, blueboy2001. Cracking unit so far. The MP3 abilities gets rid of the need for a multichanger for me. Mine set me back £170....did I pay too much?
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

You did pay too much, it's £119.98 at empire direct.co.uk
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sods law...
Ah well, it's in, working and from the shop down the road so no long waits if I have to take it back for any reason!
The price of convenience...