Dispatch - nightmare continues!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

The Dog Walker
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch

Dispatch - nightmare continues!!

Post by The Dog Walker »

So, after numerous issues and finding out the Head gasket had gone, I put a remanufactured engine into my 2003 Dispatch. I could have bought 3 second hand ones for the price but thought it a safer bet as everything was to original manufacturers tolerances plus a one year unlimited mileage warranty. Since installing it I've been back to garage 3 times due to stalling, no acceleration and just being a general pig to drive. He couldn't find anything wrong. As part of the warranty I had to have injectors tested and fuel pump tested/reprogrammed and as this was done matey in the garage said he was at a loss. It then developed a significant oil leak two weeks ago and diagnosed as main oil seal between engine and gear box. Duly changed and leak greatly reduced but not gone. Back in for another look and he suspects the head gasket but can't say for certain until he can get at it so back in tomorrow to take apart and have a look. In addition over the last week it's drinking fuel? Chucking out black smoke and power has all but disappeared with a top speed of 60 downhill with a tailwind! Clutch was also changed last Saturday due to contamination from oil leak. On my way to garage now. Any thoughts/words of wisdom ?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Dispatch - nightmare continues!!

Post by Homer »

MAF sensor?
The Dog Walker

Post by The Dog Walker »

He's now found another seal gone and possibly two and said the one that's gone is clearly old and wasn't changed as part of the remanufactured engine, something that I was sure they did. He also 'thinks' the fuel pump may be on the way out which is nothing to do with the new engine as its my old one. Does that sound right for the loss of power, increased fuel consumption and horrendous black smoke (the only benefit to which was when I got tailgated on Thursday due to crap acceleration I sunk my foot and the car behind disappeared in a cloud of smoke and rapidly dropped back!! Every cloud and all that!!)
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Did the garage who fitted the engine also supply it to you? If so suggest that it be immediately removed and replaced with a proper working engine. Engines are engines regardless of make or model. The basic design has been there for at least fifty years. The DW8 is basically a 35 year old design and the 2L HDI engines of around the time of your van basically used the same bottom end. If they are properly rebuilt then you should have zero problems. Have you ascertained whether your engine is a HDI or a 1.9d probably a DW8. At 2003 I think the IDI turbo diesels were no longer supplied. Most of the DW8 engines had some form of crappy Lucas injection pump which were the source of several problems but not oil leaks. I cannot understand how any workshop who had any clue could send out a rebuilt engine leaking oil. Tell them to get the finger out and sort the problems. As I don't live in the UK I have no idea what consumer protection you have. What I am sure of is that you are dealing with messers who may or may not know what they are doing.
The Dog Walker

Post by The Dog Walker »

Thanks, it's the 1.9 The garage that fitted it was my local one that I've used for years. Engine was supplied by someone else and cost me a tidy sum! I thought that by paying the extra for remanufactured unit that I would be issue free rather than taking a gamble on a second hand one.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

If you are a member of the AA/RAC etc, arrange an engineer visit via their legal department. If you get no joy in asking the engine-supplying company to provide you with another (and cover the cost of having your garage - or themselves - fitting it), then the AA/RAC will take up the cudgel for you. Under consumer law, you are entitled to goods of "merchantable quality", and the remanufactured engine you have obviously isn't.

Keep photos, as much in writing as possible, and get your garage to make a few written comments for you.
Chris
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Talking to my local engineering works last week, these blokes are good! they reckon they are seeing "reconditioned" engines that are just old junk being passed off as reconditioned, it sounds like you have bought such an engine.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
The Dog Walker

Post by The Dog Walker »

Only mine wasn't recon, it was remanufactured and therefore more expensive. Everything has to be to the original manufacturers tolerances and all seals/gaskets renewed and not wit cheap crap either. They're insisting this is done in every engine and if 2-3 seals have gone then something else is causing this -

I can assure you that EVERY seal and gasket is replaced on EVERY remanufactured engine that we produce.
To have one leak is unusual and unfortunate, but to have two or more leaking suggests that there may be underlying cause (breather system etc).
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That is where an independent inspection (eg RAC engineer) becomes essential.
No point in arguing with the folk who supplied the engine - independent assessment is vital, and will be used by Trading Standards, if it comes to that.
Sometimes, the mere fact that you have secured an engineer report is enough to push over an offending firm. They know they must either fix it, or possibly end up in court, where they will most certainly lose.
Chris
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Not wishing to be a nitpicker but I really do not understand the difference between reconditioning rebuilding, refurbishing and remanufacturing.
I have done it to several engines whatever it is.
The process is as follows.
Bores are checked for wear and scoring. If any bore is worn, oval or scored the block is rebored to the next available oversize that removes all damage.
If the bore is in good condition it is just honed.
Conrods are checked for bowing and twist. Unless they are perfect or have press fit gudgeon pins new small end bushings are fitted.
The crankshaft end float is checked and all journals are checked for wear and scoring. If there is any imperfection the crankshaft is reground to the next suitable undersized.
Oil seals often wear grooves in the shaft. This can usually be overcome by using a seal that is 1mm thicker or thinner than the original so the lip runs on a fresh surface. For example a 35x50x7 seal might be replaced by a 35x50x6.
Likewise camshafts are checked for any wear or damage to lobes or bearing surfaces. Wear on a camshaft means replacement.
Valves are checked and refaced or replaced as necessary. Ditto for the valve seats and guides in the head.
The whole lot is thoroughly cleaned and reassembled using new shells, thrust washers, pistons, rings, gaskets and seals along with a new oil pump and filter.
Nowadays valves, valve seats, valve guides and crankshaft normally show very little wear. Even bores often have only minimal wear unless the engine was severely overheated, never serviced or let run short of oil.
You have been given good advice by the other contributors. I suggest you take it. I wish you a speedy resolution.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I agree with just about everything that BX wrote above with the exception of reboring. Beans Engineering, which used to produce BL Gold Seal and Silver Seal engines, used to bore and sleeve all blocks and then bore out the sleeves to use standard size pistons.

I think that might be classed as remanufacturing rather than simple reconditioning although I'm fairly sure that they didn't build up worn crankshafts but ground them down to use oversize shells. ISTR that they would only give them one grind though; if they were already undersize they were rejected.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​