'09 C5 tyre pressure monitors.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

'09 C5 tyre pressure monitors.

Post by milleplod »

Afternoon all.

I've searched, but couldn't find the answer to this.

I'll be fitting new winter tyres at the end of October, and wondered if at the same time I could replace the TPS valves with standard ones....and then get someone with a Lexia setup to turn off the system. Is that do-able?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: '09 C5 tyre pressure monitors.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes this is possible to do and can be deactivated using a Lexia. Having said that - some facts on EU TPMS legislation: (But as your car is 2009 model it should be exempt as it wasn't a requirement at the time).
  • As of 1st November 2012, all new-type vehicles will be required by EU law to have a pressure based tyre pressure monitoring system installed. This applies to the road wheels, not the spare.
  • By November 2014, all new passenger vehicles will have to have TPMS installed by the manufacturer.
  • The law is not currently retrospective, and does not apply to older vehicles.
  • This law applies to passenger vehicles only, with no more than 7 seats.
  • Many car manufacturers have already introduced TPMS to their vehicles ahead of the 2012 legislation change.
  • Renault, Peugeot, and Citroen have fitted TPMS to some models since 2003/4.
  • More and more cars now have TPMS already fitted. Showrooms are full of TPMS-compliant cars.
  • TPMS is now part of the annual vehicle test, and applies to all newly registered cars from January 1st 2012. This means that a car with a faulty TPMS will fail the vehicle test from January 2015.
  • Until 2015, a faulty TPMS will only be an advisory and be listed on the testing certificate (UK). Different European countries may interpret the EU legislation differently. So please refer to your own European country legislation.
There are hundreds of thousands of cars on European roads with sensors removed. The cost of replacement is high, circa €40.00 to €80.00 for the sensor, and €65.00 for updating the ECU where required. Rubber tyre valves are used to replace the sensor and the warning light disabled, however this practice will be prohibited on new-type 2012 cars. Insurance implications will be the same as for disabling an airbag or ABS. Disabling a safety system on a vehicle may become an offence

There is a setting under the BSI configuration (Customer Options) that says TYPE OF DEFLATION DETECTION Choices are WITH RUBBER WHEEL VALVES or WITH METALLIC WHEEL VALVES. This setting is also to be found under the CONFIGURATION menu - but only needs to be programmed in one of these areas.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 10 Sep 2016, 15:07, edited 3 times in total.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Hi Marc.

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated! That's good news then. :)

I was thinking that, at the same time, I'd get the Eolys stuff topped up (car's done 70k miles) so the Lexia can do that too.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

milleplod wrote:Hi Marc.
Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated! That's good news then. :)
I was thinking that, at the same time, I'd get the Eolys stuff topped up (car's done 70k miles) so the Lexia can do that too. Pete
No worries Pete - just thought I'd do an edit to the post in case people with cars 2012 on are thinking of doing the same - as they sometimes forget the insurance angle of disabing safety systems! :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc