Oil leak on a Citroen xsara Picasso desire 1.6 hdi 2008

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Susanmc75
My Cars: Xsara Picasso Desire 1.6 HDI 2008

Oil leak on a Citroen xsara Picasso desire 1.6 hdi 2008

Post by Susanmc75 »

I bought my car 18 months ago and for the last 3 months I have had white smoke coming from the exhaust when I start the car, I have taken it to a garage and they have advised that I have an oil leak coming from the engine and it will cost in the region of £800 to fix it. Apart from the awful smelling smoke, which after 10 mins or so clears and the bottom of my engine being covered in oil, the car runs fine. The mechanic has said it could carry on running like this for some time and the cost of the repair is more than the car is worth. He has said that because I leave it sitting for approx 18 hours overnight the oil that is very slowly dripping builds up and is causing horrendous smoke on the first start up of the day. Since I had the car serviced in March I have lost 1/3 of my oil.

Can anyone offer some advice I have only a basic knowledge of cars and have no idea what to do, do I get it repaired or cut my losses and find a new car?

The car has only done 80k miles
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Oil leak on a Citroen xsara Picasso desire 1.6 hdi 2008

Post by xantia_v6 »

When you say that the smoke is coming from the exhaust pipe, is it coming out the tailpipe at the back of the car, or is it burning off the outside of the pipe in the engine bay?

I would not hurt to get an opinion from a second mechanic, who may know a cheaper way of doing the job.