ZX head Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

ZX head Gasket

Post by Mads »

Hi all,
I am in the process of changing the head gasket on my ZX 1.4i. In one of the corners of the gasket there is an extra little gasket which fits into a hole in the large gasket. Is this little fellow terribly important ? (YES, I lost it [:(][:I])
Thanks in advance
Mads
ZX 1.4i, 1992, 176000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 126000km
C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 5300km
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It keeps the oil in!
Stewart
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

What was up with the old headgasket.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

I have stared at the head and the block and could not really see what this little bugger is doing.. well better safe than sorry I guess [B)]
Why it came of ? That's an interesting story I was planning on posting later, but: I was trying to find out why the engine was running really lumpy with no power etc. It had started to use a little coolant and there were a slight leak of oil from the side of the head, so after having checked everything else, timing included, I thourght it could possibly be the gasket.
So off with the head. At first glance it did not look too bad, a little problem at the end towards the timing belt and lots of carbon deposits, but otherwise OK [8D]. Anyway I progressed to renew valve and camseals and get the head skimmed and pressure tested. Off with the cam-sprocket [:0].. Sprocket locking pin sheared and a nick in the cam axel [B)] (To me it looks like the "authorised Citroën garage" which did the gasket some years back did not bother to make sure the sprocket was positioned correctly before forcing it back on [:(][:(!][V]) Result was that the timing had come of more and more as the pulverised pin had slowly given way => Explaining the deteriorating engine performance. End result was timing had come off by about 1½ tooth.. I'm impressed the engine could run at all and glad the abused pin did not completely give in[:)]! Well, the performance bit obviously remains theory until I have gotten the pieces back together (Including the little bugger in the midst of the head gasket).
I'll keep you posted..
Mads
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Finally cracked it !! [:)], glad I didn't hand her in at the scrappy after all. The cam sprocket locking pin was the root of the problem. Put all back together turned key, and 3second later she now runs like a 17yaer old [:D]. Need to repair a bit of corrosion, but nothing fancy, she will be ready for the Danish MOT on March 2nd.[8D].
Mads
ZX 1.4i, 176000km, 1992 [;)]
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 130000km, 1997 [:)]
C3 1.4HDi, 6000km, 2003, [8D]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

that oil leak you mention is a common problem with tu engines. My zx 1.4i had its gasket done about two years ago to try resolve the oil leak you described on the headgasket but has come back twice as worse it was before the head job plus oils getting in the water.