Xantia amber engine light and no start question/ideas

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia amber engine light and no start question/ideas

Post by Mandrake »

If the car has a cam sensor then either the crank or cam sensor failing should set a fault code, as the ECU will detect one is turning and the other is not.

However, if the car only has a crank sensor and no cam sensor - which is normal on an engine with a waste spark ignition system - no fault code will be set if the car fails to start due to a faulty crank sensor, because there is no other sensor that can tell the ECU that the engine is rotating. (The crank sensor its its only way of knowing that the engine is turning - if there is no output from the sensor it doesn't know you are trying to start the engine!)

I don't know if that engine is waste spark or not, but if it is fault code checking won't help - you need to look at live sensor data including engine RPM on the Lexia while cranking the engine when it is failing to start.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
ihatecars
My Cars:

Post by ihatecars »

Thanks for the new info, I keep trying things but still the car continues to start perfectly or refuses! Within 10 mins! I've done a few daft things to test for a result, pulled the fuse on the fuel pump, car starts and then expires once the fuel has gone. Put the fuse in as the engine starts to slow up, pop it back in and it runs to normal speed. I've WDed the pump connector. I've checked the fuses for small fractures on an ohm meter. But still no further.

I like the idea of the crank sensor, OK where do I find it? I assume it is on the main engine block somewhere, do I get access from underneath? I assume it will look like many of the engine sensors, like a heavy bolt screwed in with a elec connector on.

Mandrake, I think your comments are very good, that's the sort of info I can work with, thanks. I am thinking, looking at the data when the engine refuses to start, would it not be easier to replace the crank sensor? Is it a big job? I will investigate.

darbuck: thanks for the tip.

Phew! Update: I found the sensor, on the right of the engine, under the HT stuff/thermostat. Disconnected the air intake ducts and wrestled with the little blighter for best part of 45 mins, lost skin (off knuckles, but no blood loss). Part out. I identified the part by asking at GSF who were very helpful. And now got one on order from them. Intesteingly I now see lots on eBay at about £18 but I got the one from GSF at £32 as they helped me identify the part and I feel assured they will source a "good" part and not something unknown from China.
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

Hope it works I had the same problem on a similar era primera it eventually just stopped until I replaced crank sensor was fine until I got rid 5years later as for price of sensor with Postage probably about the same price and if they send wrong part it's more time and then return postage.[emoji3]

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
Darren
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Gsf have got a 43% off now too!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
ihatecars
My Cars:

Post by ihatecars »

Update: The sensor arrived overnight, it took 10 mins to install and replace all air intake ducts etc. Car started immediately. That's based on only the one test. I'll let you know how things go on.

Just as a comment, for anyone wanting to locate the crank sensor on their engine, how about, find the starter motor and follow the business end round the engine block and somewhere on that line should be the sensor. Based on, the sensor reads the teeth on the starter ring (gear) around the flywheel.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

'Cept for the ones where the crank sensor is on the aux belt pulley at the other end of the engine :wink:
Richard W
ihatecars
My Cars:

Post by ihatecars »

UPDATE: dare I say this? Xantia now starts perfectly! fingers crossed it stays that way, thanks to all involved and I've made a donation to the forum too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news :D

And thanks ever so much for the donation :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

Delighted to hear

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
Darren
Tommy1
My Cars: C5 sx 2ltr hdi estate
2.2 citroen c5 exclusive auto estate
2ltr 136 exclusive salon

Re engine service light comes on car seems under powered

Post by Tommy1 »

Hi all am new to site i have a problem with service light when I start car it lights up then goes out. Drive for a few minutes comes on stays on coincided with car running under powered was hoping there might be someone local with a lexia who could help.been told normal diagnostics wont show anything ? Thanks all hoping someone can help tommy
ps I live in Liverpool
c5 exclusive 2006 model
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re engine service light comes on car seems under powered

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Tommy, welcome to the forum :D
Tommy1 wrote:was hoping there might be someone local with a lexia who could help.been told normal diagnostics wont show anything ? Thanks all hoping someone can help tommy
Have a look at this thread

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 99#p494699

It contains a list of members with a Lexia who will be happy to carry our a Lexia check with you...

Arrange via a PM (Private Message)..

Hope that'll help solve your issues...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi Tommy1, and welcome to the forum.

It is normal for the EML light (and, probably, the Service light) to come on when you turn the ignition, and then go out a few seconds after the engine has started. However, the EML coming back on and the car going into 'limp home' mode is not. Try looking in the following link for Lexia owners in your area who are willing to help;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 22 Sep 2016, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: Try looking in the following link for Lexia owners in your area who are willing to help;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/date ... lar&page=0
Bloody amazing what you can get from Aldi these days James :rofl2:

I'd already posted the link to the Lexia Locations thread in an earlier post ;)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote: Try looking in the following link for Lexia owners in your area who are willing to help;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/date ... lar&page=0
Bloody amazing what you can get from Aldi these days James :rofl2:

I'd already posted the link to the Lexia Locations thread in an earlier post ;)
Oops! :oops: Corrected.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: Oops! :oops: Corrected.
No worries James, gave me a good giggle :D
Jim