Xantia V6 Cambelt/tensioners

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnM52

Xantia V6 Cambelt/tensioners

Post by JohnM52 »

Have just changed the belt on above recent acquisition. I was trying to be good and proper and change the tensioners etc at the same time. Prices for these are frightening 250GBP for main one, 45 GBP for each of three pulley wheels.
Tensioner for auxiliary drive belt 150GBP
I haven't added VAT to these prices.
I really wonder at these prices... are Cit trying to hasten the early demise of a wonderful engine? I'll just have to run as it is and hope all the bearings in these tensioners are sufficiently well built as the prices would indicate.
Any thoughts?????
JohnM
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

How easy is the cam belt to change (if you are doing it your self) because i would'nt mind giving it a go my self next time. How many miles has your car done? because i got my cambelt done at 70000 miles by Citroen's and i dont think that they changed any of the tensioners. hope this help louis
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Changed mine at 90k. The old one was in perfect condition! Good for another 90K I would think. It's almost 2" wide. Not at all like typical timing belts. There was no play in any of the pulleys so I didn't change any! I changed my belt without too much difficulty. Since than I see that the Peugeot Infotec website contains full details - in particular re setting the tensioner and how to align the 4 camshafts.
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi Gents
Changing it is simple if very timeconsuming. Since I was replacing the radiator at the same time the whole front was removed and so this gave plenty of space to work.
All 4 cam wheels were locked as required and crankshaft pulley locked perfectly.
As David says, 2 inch wide belt whihc is sooooo long. Old one had done 80K and really showed little sign of damage; some very fine cracks at base of teeth so probably done just in time.
I agree the pulleys are solid and well built, just reassured that others have changed belt and not had any problem with pulleys etc.
David, haven't come across Peugot Infotec site - is it free or subscription only? An address would be useful if you can post it.
Thanks
JohnM
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Yes, you pay! (about Euro 15, I think, for 6 hours). You can't save, but you can print-out.
The site is hppt://public.infotec.peugeot.com
It's part of the EU drive to get competition into the car service area. Renault have one as well. Haven't found a Citroen site yet - strange as Citroen owners tend to become more active in DIY !!
Anyway, the engines are the same as in Peugeots, including the ES9J4 used in V6 Xantia's and the 4HP20 auto box.