Need Some Xsara Picasso Buying Advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Need Some Xsara Picasso Buying Advice

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So I'm looking for a budget Xsara Picasso for my sister and her fiance. I've been looking at both Petrol and Diesel models and would like any tips / issues / problems to watch for from anyone 'in the know'. They're considering the Xsara Picasso because of ease to get in and out of the vehicle (as my sis. has deterioration of the spine), and a good boot space for camping trips.

My thoughts so far are the Diesel 2.0 HDi (the model without the Particulate Filter to save on further expense) as I've read various issues with the 1.6 HDi on other models. I'm looking for anything from 2004 upward and possible with Exclusive spec. Obviously, one that has had the timing belt and water pump done is preferable - but are there any other issues that I should be aware of on these models please?

I've considered Petrol models, but they obviously cost more to tax and are less economical - but if I can find a non DPF 2.0 HDi, I would consider this a better buy - any reason not to?

So does anyone have any tips or things to watch out for please on any of the engines mentioned - we won't have much time to muck about testing them out as we'll have to map a few out and travel over 100 miles (as, dare I say it, we're not buying from any Swansea Jacks :roll: - I've had friends with enough issues from some Welsh garages - and I live here :-D ), so will be going further afield and may need to make a decision on the day and drive it back.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated - Ta muchly.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Need Some Xsara Picasso Buying Advice

Post by RichardW »

They're not bad really - built down to a price, and it shows, but they do what they say on the tin! The 2.0 HDi 90 is a bit gruff, and I suspect a long final drive blunts the performance. Front suspension (on ours at least) needed a lot of ongoing work. Boot is OK, not massive, but plenty big enough. Give the bottom of the sills a good prod - they rot from the inside out - you will find that many have already been welded, look out for black sills, whereas they should be body coloured. Rear suspension can suffer from the usual problem of trailing arm bearings failing, can be fixed with re-con unit. If the 2.0 HDi is Bosch injection, then the tank needs to come out if (when) the lift pump fails. 2004 was about when the MK2 came in (you can see as there is an extra vent in the grille just at the top of the bumper - lower power diesel models were swapped to the 1.6 HDi - which we know all about.....! Petrol ones are dirt cheap - the 1.6 unit is 110 BHP so ought to go OK, but probably only 30mpg. They're starting to get a bit long in tooth now, so possibly not that many around - choose carefully! How much are you looking to spend? Early C4 Picassos are getting down to the same price as late Xsara Pics - and they're MUCH better!

Edit: This one looks a good example of the genre.

One other thing, avoid one with a light coloured dashboard; the reflection in the windscreen is verging on dangerous - you used to be able to buy a matt black cover to prevent it, but I haven't seen one for a while.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Richard, thanks for that input, much appreciated.

They're on a budget seeing as they've just had to layout £600 on the Ford Ka for odds and sods that they didn't expect or know about! (ATS) She is cancelling all the work after she told me and I said it's not worth it, so ATS have offered £10 to take it away! It's likely they'll still have to pay considerable labour for work on it they've already done.

Back to the Picasso, I'm just trying to source them one that will do even for a few years, so hopefully one that has a service history and some evidence that the timing belt at least has been done. I had considered the C4 Picasso, but don't want to go anywhere near one with an EGS (seeing all the issues on the forum with these again). Budget is an issue at the moment, not helped by the above, so not many of the C4 Pics about for a £1500 budget!

I hadn't considered the rear bearings on these or the sill issues, so will keep an eye out. :wink:

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I really like my Xsara Picasso nice condition 100,000 mile 2.0Hdi (90).

Expected at least 100,000 miles in my ownership doing the minimal of repairs, paid around £650 for it.

You may have seen my thread "Glow Plugs Annihilate Xsara Picasso"..........tip broke off....wreaked its havoc, and currently awaiting an engine out job to see exactly what damage has been done and whether its salvagable.

Unlike any other car I have ever owned, you may as well resign yourself to having to remove the engine, should you require to do any cylinder head gasket work, access is so bad to the rear of the engine.

I may have just been unfortunate, but be very careful if you decide the glow plugs need changing, and reject any car you look at which has the slightest indication that the head gasket may be failing.

That being said, without the glow plug incident, I am sure the car would have gone on to reach 200,000 without too many problems, just routine maintenance. Who knows..may still do it but time and motivation for a daunting job, totally uneconomic to have done at my local garage may consign it to the scrap heap!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would certainly go for the 2.0. 8 valve Hdi, they are practically bombproof and can be good for 300k miles or more if properly maintained.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great, thanks guys, some really useful advice.

Marc
Bick

Post by Bick »

Dont forget the petrol 8v (defo not 16v too thirsty) i had one for a couple of years and it was a brilliant car and i would regularly get 44mpg to work and back, mixture of motorway and traffic! I only sold it because i needed a big van or i would still have it :-(

My mate who bought it off me could not believe how economical it was and still has it 7 years on.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you are going for a diesel it has to be the 2.0 HDi. No DPF, most repairs are generally much easier on the 2.0 than the 1.6, When fitted to the Picasso the 2.0 HDi's are all Bosch injection systems too.
If you are going for petrol then it would have to be for me either the 1.6 8v or the 1.6 16v. I would personally avoid the 1.8 & 2.0 petrol, The 1.6's seem to give less hassle, easier to repair & there is certainly more of them around for spares. Then of course there is higher fuel consumption.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well despite looking for hours on end, I had to bite the bullet and go for a 1.6 ( [-o< ) as there weren't any 2.0 ones that looked half tidy. I can't even link you the one we got as my Sis knocked him down on price and the dealer took it straight off Autotrader, so all pics gone! It was a 1.6 HDi 92/94 BHP ? From memory, exclusive trim with panoramic roof, 92k miles, full service history, carefully maintained by an elderly gentleman were told, has had the Cam belt kit service, and I checked the MOT history, NO advisories at all until last MOT July 2016 when it failed smoke test, but passed on same day. I must say interior is immaculate, no grubby kids /paw prints or sick anywhere spotless upholstery. All tyres in good condition and bodywork immaculate too, so she put a deposit on it straight away. £1400 after knocking off the £95! I've seen a lot cheaper, but some of these looked tired and worn and really didn't have any service history so didn't want to chance it. It's in Peterborough, so I think they will be picking it up possibly tomorrow or Friday. Thanks again for all the advice, and I just hope the 1.6 plays nice, or I'll end up in the sushi!

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The first thing to do will be change the oil, then change it again regularly every 5-6000 miles, if you do that hopefully you shouldn't have any problems.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sounds good!
Hope it works out well for them.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Peter.N. wrote:The first thing to do will be change the oil, then change it again regularly every 5-6000 miles, if you do that hopefully you shouldn't have any problems.Peter
Will do, and a quick once over with the Lexia when he fetches it back - but then again...... maybe I shouldn't!

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

myglaren wrote:Sounds good! Hope it works out well for them.
Cheers Steve, you're always a bit cautious when it comes to family, oh well. There always the Forum just in case!

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hope it turns out OK! The 90 doesn't have a DPF so that's one less thing to worry about - and accounts for the failure on emissions no doubt. I would invest an hour or two in taking out the filter in the turbo oil feed pipe - easier without a DPF as getting the heat shield off probably doesn't require removal of the rad! Check the injector nuts are tight, but at 90k, it's probably getting towards needing injector seals.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RichardW wrote:Hope it turns out OK! - but at 90k, it's probably getting towards needing injector seals.
Now you tell me! :-D Hopefully, not for a while and when they do need doing, that'll be one for the garage me thinks..

Well I've volunteered to drive them to pick it up on Monday most likely (as it would of cost £180 for the both of them one way by train!!!) - then I realised Peterborough is 265 miles each way! So it better flipping well better get back here in one peice or I won't be doing this for sure:

Marc