Avoid this C5!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Avoid this C5!!!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Dommo wrote:Also based on the picture on his new advert, there is still the EGR heat exchanger missing, so presumably this was one of it's faults which started the strip down process. To reiterate to everyone, this is like selling a car with a coolant hose completely missing.

ekjdm - In the original advert he does say he has driven it, and that he didn't recommend driving it. But he said (to me) that it was because of the PAS fault, not the engine issue. In the new advert he definitely says NOT to drive it, so there's just a subtle change but he didn't make it clear that engine parts were missing in the original ad.
Maybe after he did his original test drive some tea leaf needed an oil cooler and helped himself, wouldn't be the first time. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Gibbo the EGR cooler and an oil cooler are totally different things. This is the EGR cooler:

The coolant goes in at the top right and out at the top left (ish), the exhaust gas goes in on the right and out through the EGR valve which is normally on the left - it's not fitted in this photo.

And in the following picture you can see where it is in relation to the back of the engine, and you can see how big it is, you can't bodge anything in it's place easily:

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Strange, might have updated the listing before I read it but there was no mention of him having driven the car. Still would have taken a punt on it had it been my purchase, although as you say perhaps the price could have been negotiated southwards based on the removed parts.

I'm confused by the fact you'd have done similar though, considering the no coolant situation. Knowing that, regardless of whether the bits were there or not, I'd have called the engine dead/for parts, retained the ancillaries and replaced it with a decent used motor.

Hopefully the next potential buyer is informed what they're getting into before they travel though, it's always a disappointment to find something not well described.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k