Gearknobs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Gearknobs

Post by paranoid »

Please can somone tell me how to get the gearknob off a 97 xantia, I have tried twisting but it just seems to go in 90 degree twists don't want to snap anything[:D][:D]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I think there glued then pushed on. So it might be easier to cut it off!
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Also how do i get the gear knob off my 1993 zx td
cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As I understand it - most gearknobs are in fact threaded on - locked with Locktite ?
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

On my 205 gti the gear knob was threaded on a square thread-the square thread is used to ensure the gear knob is always at square on the shaft. It took a LOT of effort to get it off, but it was definately threaded on.
So to get it off (for both xantia and zx) just force it anti-clockwise as hard as you can-you can't lose, if it is threaded on then it will unscrew, if it is glued on the at some point the bond will have to break and you can twist the gear knob off.
Paranoid when I removed my 205's gear knob it moved at 90 degree twists-this is because it is on a square threaded shaft, just keep turning.
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

hi,
ive replaced my ZX gearknob with a sparco one, i too was stumped on how to get it off until i found out from a mechanic it pulls off! which it did! i simpley got two pairs of mole grips(vice grips) on the knob either side and with a lot of effort yanked it off!like its said previously, they are simpley glued on,
good luck
Dan
ZX TD Aura 80000
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Use a ratchett on it, I've done it on three cars now, get it to turn once then it will come off easily.