We'll all be redundant soon.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: We'll all be redundant soon.

Post by CitroJim »

No way you'd ever get me in a driverless car....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

It stresses me out big time!
I’m trying to be philosophical about those drivers. 8-)
I’m telling myself that they are just peasants and should be getting around on the back of a stolen donkey. :twisted:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

CitroJim wrote:I see Audi are developing a car that can communicate with traffic lights and tell the driver when they're about to change...

Why?

So that Audi drivers have an advantage in the standing start in the traffic lights grand prix?

Seems a bit of a pointless thing to me or is it that Audi drivers are so bad they cannot understand how traffic lights work?

:roll: :? :lol:
The latter, Jim!
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

One thing I can see that being handy for is not so much the driver being given a heads up (though not necessarily a bad idea in other countries where you don't get the amber "get yourself organised" phase before green), but for the car itself to know. Especially for those with stop-start systems. Remember that being one of my gripes with the Audi I drove was that it frequently couldn't get the engine started fast enough at situations like that, resulting in either me lurching away from the light as though I'd never driven a manual car before, or me sitting at the stop line with the thing bleeping at me showing a helpful message on the dash saying "depress clutch to start engine" - suffice to say I didn't get along with that car!

...only rental car I've ever voluntarily dropped off at the wrong depot, paid the restock fee, then paid for a taxi to the bus station, and got on a packed Megabus back to my starting point because I couldn't stand driving it any more!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Ocellia
My Cars: History of Citroens since 425cc 2CV van in '79, on through Dyanes, 4 DSs, Traction Commerciale, 4 CXs, 4 GSAs AX Gti, even a Saxo.

Post by Ocellia »

A 'heads up'? Are we all amurrican now?
A warning, do you mean?
Ocellia
My Cars: History of Citroens since 425cc 2CV van in '79, on through Dyanes, 4 DSs, Traction Commerciale, 4 CXs, 4 GSAs AX Gti, even a Saxo.

Post by Ocellia »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
Ocellia wrote:AKA Public transport?
Maybe where you live. From what I've used previously in cities - they are slow, unreliable, dirty germ pits.
Well, my local P+Ride is nearby. Whizzes down a lovely gorge into town, in a Bus lane!
But I get your meaning.
Was in Potteries recently. they seem to have decent service (Europe money!)

I recall being in New York,(90s) where every bus route had a 5 minute service!

I believe Germany is OK for buses.

I may have to use taxis or limp to the bus stop down the hill; need a knee op.
And I just bought the XM 3L.!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: ...only rental car I've ever voluntarily dropped off at the wrong depot, paid the restock fee, then paid for a taxi to the bus station, and got on a packed Megabus back to my starting point because I couldn't stand driving it any more!
I can understand that..

Sounds like a nightmare Zel :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Ocellia wrote:A 'heads up'? Are we all amurrican now?
A warning, do you mean?
Well I do live with two of them!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

What? Two heads?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

^^ :lol:
Jim

Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

As it is right now, the Rolls Royce Wraith should be the FINAL word on Automotive Technology- doesnt make sense developing more tech more advanced for driver assistance- the Research should go into, chameleon type paint work, Electro shields (like bond's 97 BMW 7 series in tomorrow never dies), optic tinting, bullet proof armor as standard, and making every piece of the car, no matter how big or small in carbon fiber and titanium. Why would anyone who calls themselves a motorist would want self driving, self reversing self communicating cars talking to traffic lights? Doesnt make no sense to me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Autonomous Vehicles

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A little update for those interested in Project Scoop that has been going since 2014 - but now being actively tested in France on C4 and DS4. V2X (Vehicle to Everything) is part of the Scoop project and will be eventually rolled out to vehicles.
Data exchange involves “on-board units” – the car is fitted with a modem, two antennas and software – and “road-side units”, which are connected to traffic management centres.
The test is part of the SCOOP project, launched in 2014. SCOOP is a French pilot intelligent transport system that aims to enhance road safety and improve traffic management, making it a key step in autonomous and connected vehicle deployment. Indeed, V2X communication (like V2C, Vehicle-to-Car and V2I, Vehicle-to-Infrastructure) can help anticipate certain events. The information exchanged between the vehicles and the infrastructure will fill in the gaps in that obtained by the cameras and radars that will equip the autonomous vehicle.
More info here, although this article was dated in April 2018, some of you may be interested in reading further:

Scoop Project
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder how long it will be before the 'foil helmet' brigade start suggesting that the radar used in such systems is destroying people's brains, like they did with mobile phones.

Although looking at how the mobile phone is used I wonder if they might have been right. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

And with the sockets all over the dash and whoopee cushions everywhere?
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
hubrad3
My Cars: Reminisce about Xantia Estate 1.9TD and a couple of BX 14RE..

Post by hubrad3 »

Peugeot_Russ wrote: 03 Jan 2017, 01:54 Why would anyone who calls themselves a motorist would want self driving, self reversing self communicating cars talking to traffic lights? Doesnt make no sense to me.

That' s the thing.. I think most people drive because they have to - it's a functional activity and no more. Probably will only refer to themselves as a 'motorist' at budget time.
Bit like the difference between one who eats food as fuel and one who gets a greater sensory experience from it.

Now I have this in my head:

(edit for spelling! :-D )
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 17 Jul 2018, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Youtube Links