Expensive service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RPWC
My Cars: Former Citroen owner.

Expensive service

Post by RPWC »

I put the van into the garage for a service while we were on holiday, asked them to change oil and filters and check back brakes,adjust and replace shoes if needed.
Ended up with two new wheel cylinders, both h/brake cables and a new caliber, as it was partly seized. It has been troublesome for a while,I remember at least twice having to free it off, I was quoted £55+vat for a replacement, but there's a £45+vat surcharge,so the final bill with vat is £516. Less than 4 hours labour, 205,225 parts,then vat. I will get he 45 surcharge refunded though. Was expecting a bill of around £300, though.
Cheers Rich :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Expensive service

Post by Peter.N. »

Mmm, that's more than I paid for my last car and the reason I do all my own repairs, I wouldn't be able to afford to run one car let alone two if I had to send them to a garage.

That does sound a tad expensive, having been once bitten I would get them to phone you an estimate before you let them do any more work, or find someone else. Most mainstream garages are expensive now and I dare say it would be dearer than that in London. A one man band would probably be the cheapest if you can find a good one locally.

Peter
RPWC

Post by RPWC »

Its an independent garage across the road, I use them for bits and bobs,and the owner is a customer of mine. He has helped me out a few times before when I have been stuck, so as we were away,I thought I would give him the trade. I do a lot of my own repairs, but don't have the facilities for bleeding brakes,I would have done the work myself ,if i had time. The other garage I use is where I get my MOT's done and I think the bill would have been nearer my expectations if I used them, but its about 6 miles away and would be awkward to get time to take it over,then get a lift back, and then lose work time tomorrow to get it back.
Still I will continue to use the garage in question, but will be careful what work I get done. Its the caliper that has cost the money, only half an hour labour charged for it.
Last edited by RPWC on 14 Aug 2016, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds reasonable. Another advantage of doing it your self is that you can use second hand bits, I recently replaced a front caliper on my 406, got it from off my old one at the top of the field 8-)

Peter
RPWC

Post by RPWC »

If you're lucky enough to have somewhere to keep,a spares vehicle, then great, but I don't unfortunately, not on my own land anyway.. The surcharge was knocked off, labour was less than 4 hours, parts total came to £190, then vat on top.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

DOES seem a lot of money for pretty routine tasks not requiring expensive parts or a great deal of time &/or expertise.

But then I thought the £100 or so it cost me to MoT my van 'cos I paid a garage to fit a s/h hub carrier (that I had to source) because I buggered the clamp on the old one fitting a new t-c-a was a bit steep - but then they did supply/fit a new bearing & inner gaiter (it was an advisory on the 1st time round) & didn't charge for the re-test - even, by then, it was about 2 months after the fail.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o