new Xantia decision

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mipster
My Cars:

new Xantia decision

Post by mipster »

I bought the Xantia in York advertised on the for sale forum for £100 and now I need to decide what to do with it. My original plan was to break it for spares to keep my 210k N reg 1.9TD LX on the road but I'm wondering about putting the new one back on the road as well.
Here's what I have
L reg, 1.9TD VSX, 124K miles, Silver.
It needs a new wing mirror and about £20 of other parts (pinched to get mine through it's MOT last week)
The ABS doesn't work and the light doesn't come on. cambelt not changed in last 30K so probabley due. Suspension works fine but I haven't tried the hydractive mode.
There's a slight dent in 1 door and the windscreen has a (none mot failure) star on it.
So far I've spent £150 to get the car and fix the main problem (leaking hydraulics and brake caliper).
Unfortunatley the hydraulic pump (replaced last year) is noisy - It could be air in it since the pressure release bolt has been sheared off the regulator, seems to be lessening as it's run.
Should I try for a MOT and sell the car or does the n/a ABS and lack of pressure release bolt mean I should break it?
Any thoughts out there since I've been pondering it for some time and still aren't decided.
mipster
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If it´s fitted with ABS, to get it through the MOT, the ABS has to work.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Either you take the materialistic view and work out which solution gives you the most bucks in hand, or you take the Citroënistic view and save the life of another hydraulic Citroën!
//NiSk
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

It's the Citroënistic view which made me fit the new caliper so I could see how it drove...... It seems a pity to break it but perhaps it's the rational choice
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I presume you've checked the simple things like the fuses ?
If the ABS light doesn't come on at all, it's something very simple ( like a fuse / relay ), or the ECU is T/U, in which case, break it !