C3 1.4HDI 16v Pin assignment in MAF sensor plug

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlick24
My Cars: Citroen C3
Ford Mondeo MK4.5

C3 1.4HDI 16v Pin assignment in MAF sensor plug

Post by carlick24 »

I would like to welcome all the forum users!
Recently I've done some changes to the air intake. I've taken out air box with all original pipes and replaced it with silicone hoses and cone air filter. I've done it because all the air box mounts were snapped by previous owner and it was making loud rattling noise. I had to re-wire the MAF plug as it was too short for the relocated MAF sensor. I've check all the wirings that goes from the round big plug at the back of the engine and run new cables to MAF sensor. The problem I have now is that the MAF sensor don't work and after checking on a OBD scanner there is no air flow registered (0,00 g/s). I think I've maybe connect new wires in wrong way, but I can't find any connection diagram for this MAF sensor on the internet
Can someone check with a multimeter what values it shows on what pins with the ignition on?

This is the plug:

What my multimeter shows:
pins: (from left)
1. not assigned
2. no voltage
3. 5V
4. 12V
5. ground
6. 5V

MAF sensor is: Pierburg 7.28342.05
Engine: 1.4 HDI 16V 92HP 2003.

Thank you all for any replies and sorry for any errors as my mother language is not English.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C3 1.4HDI 16v Pin assignment in MAF sensor plug

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can you post or PM your VIN - will need this to get correct diagrams for your car, however, the following is based on the 6 pin connector for the MAF on a 1.6 HDi 2007 C3:
C3 MAF.png
From this, you can see that only pins 1,2 4 & 5 have actual wires going out.
Key:
Pin 1 (1340 = Air Temp at the Air Flow Sensor Signal)
Pin 2 (1336 = Air Flow Sensor Earth
Pin 4 (1203C = Injection ECU Power Supply)
Pin 5 (1333 = Inlet Air Flowmeter Signal)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
carlick24
Ford Mondeo MK4.5

Post by carlick24 »

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK - now I have your VIN you can see it is a different wiring setup at the plug for the 1.4 Hdi 16 Valve C3 Mk1 - and the pin layouts are different:

Key

Pin 1 (1341 = Air Temperature Signal)
Pin 4 (1337A = Air Flow Sensor Power Supply)
Pin 3 (1363A = Intake Air Pressure Sensor Power Supply)
Pin 5 (1333 = Air Inlet Flowmeter Signal)
Pin 2 (1336 = Air Flow Sensor Earth)
C3 MAF b.png

Marc
carlick24
Ford Mondeo MK4.5

Post by carlick24 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:OK - now I have your VIN you can see it is a different wiring setup at the plug for the 1.4 Hdi 16 Valve C3 Mk1 - and the pin layouts are different:

Key

C3 MAF.png
It's interesting, because the last pin in my plug is not used at all, or maybe I should see it like this:

Where:
Pin 6 not used.

?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As you've rewired the plug - I can't suggest anything further - the second diagram is what is indicated for your vehicle - the old wires from the plug that you replaced would normally be marked with the identifying code - which would of confirmed the pin locations (I always either write them down or take a picture first - but not much help now I know!

Marc
carlick24
Ford Mondeo MK4.5

Post by carlick24 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:As you've rewired the plug - I can't suggest anything further - the second diagram is what is indicated for your vehicle - the old wires from the plug that you replaced would normally be marked with the identifying code - which would of confirmed the pin locations (I always either write them down or take a picture first - but not much help now I know!
Before I've re-wired the plug, I've checked with multimeter what pin on a MAF plug goes into what pin on that round plug on the other side, so everything should be OK, but its not. I see that if I think right, I have swapped Pin 3 and Pin 4, so 12V went to pin with 5V, probably damaging MAF sensor itself. I will re-wire it, see what happens and maybe buy a used sensor as well. I will post later if I managed to sort it out or not. Thank you very much for the diagram and your help!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problems - I hope you get it sorted - our C3 is completely different as per the first diagram, so wouldn't be any help. Best of luck anyway :wink:

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Could I suggest that next time, you don't rewire the plug, but extend the wires in the middle, cutting one wire at a time?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

carlick24 wrote:
GiveMeABreak wrote:OK - now I have your VIN you can see it is a different wiring setup at the plug for the 1.4 Hdi 16 Valve C3 Mk1 - and the pin layouts are different:

Key

C3 MAF.png
It's interesting, because the last pin in my plug is not used at all, or maybe I should see it like this:

Where:
Pin 6 not used.

?
The wiring diagram doesent show the plug pins in the same order they appear on the actual plug, they are moved around to make the diagrams on paper easer to sketch out & read. As you can see in the diagram there is no number 6 so that ties up with your plug, if you look closely at the plug the pin numbers will be on the plastic somewhere. So I would say you are right in the way you have numbered the plug in the last picture.
The codes 1341, 1337A etc will be printed all the way along the wire every few CM, follow the wires back & you will be able to tie them up with the pin numbers.
The other option is if you get page 2 of the diagram it will show the pin numbers of the round connector that the wires go through & you could tie them up from there.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure what page 2 you are referring to Wheeler - the following are 2 exracts from the Principle and secondly the Wiring diagram (1 page each) from SEDREAC. I've marked wire 1341 from the MAF Plug to the Engine ECU. If you are saying the pins on the plug are not right (Haynes says the same too), then surely the same applies to the pin numbers on the other end!? So in other words, if you have replaced the actual wiring as the OP indicates:
I had to re-wire the MAF plug as it was too short for the relocated MAF sensor. I've check all the wirings that goes from the round big plug at the back of the engine and run new cables to MAF sensor
... Then without the original wires with the codes printed on (as I mentioned in my original post) it seems there is no way of knowing what is what.

I guess you would need to find somebody with an identical car and match the wiring codes to the pins at both plug ends?

This is the 'Principle' Diagram
1341 Principle B.png
This is the Wiring Diagram
1341 Wiring C.png

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GiveMeABreak wrote:I'm not sure what page 2 you are referring to Wheeler - the following are 2 exracts from the Principle and secondly the Wiring diagram (1 page each) from SEDREAC.
By pages 1, 2 & 3 I mean the Principal/schematic, the wiring & the installation diagram. So I was meaning part 2 of the diagram (the second diagram you posted)
GiveMeABreak wrote: If you are saying the pins on the plug are not right (Haynes says the same too), then surely the same applies to the pin numbers on the other end!?
What I was meaning is that the order of the pins are not always shown on the diagram in the same order as they are physically laid out on the plug. For example the diagram shows them in the order of 14 352 (blank pin in between 4 & 3) but on the plug it is actually laid out 123456 (or 654321 depending on which way round you look at it) with the blank pin being number 6 at one of the ends . This might seem obvious if you are used to the diagrams but could cause confusion if you are not, I think this is what the OP was trying to clarify ?? Note on part 2 of the diagram the pins on the component are shown in numerical order
GiveMeABreak wrote: Then without the original wires with the codes printed on (as I mentioned in my original post) it seems there is no way of knowing what is what.
You could use part 2 of the diagram (the wiring part) & see that all the wires from the MAF go to connector IC60 so you could match up the pin numbers even if you don't have wire numbers
pin 1 - pin 19
pin 2 - pin 14
pin3 - pin 22
pin4 - pin 16
pin 5 - pin 24
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the additional input Wheeler - I hope between us this helps the OP work it out! :shock: :rofl2:

Marc
carlick24
Ford Mondeo MK4.5

Post by carlick24 »

xantia_v6 wrote:Could I suggest that next time, you don't rewire the plug, but extend the wires in the middle, cutting one wire at a time?
That exactly what I did, I probably named it wrong , but the problem was that plug itself and wires that's going to it are all "sealed" in a black rubber as a one piece. On the other side where they entering the round plug all wires are black and they don't have any numbers printed on them. I have checked with a multimeter what pin is what on both sides and I had to just cut the plug.
wheeler wrote:
GiveMeABreak wrote:I'm not sure what page 2 you are referring to Wheeler - the following are 2 exracts from the Principle and secondly the Wiring diagram (1 page each) from SEDREAC.
By pages 1, 2 & 3 I mean the Principal/schematic, the wiring & the installation diagram. So I was meaning part 2 of the diagram (the second diagram you posted)
GiveMeABreak wrote: If you are saying the pins on the plug are not right (Haynes says the same too), then surely the same applies to the pin numbers on the other end!?
What I was meaning is that the order of the pins are not always shown on the diagram in the same order as they are physically laid out on the plug. For example the diagram shows them in the order of 14 352 (blank pin in between 4 & 3) but on the plug it is actually laid out 123456 (or 654321 depending on which way round you look at it) with the blank pin being number 6 at one of the ends . This might seem obvious if you are used to the diagrams but could cause confusion if you are not, I think this is what the OP was trying to clarify ?? Note on part 2 of the diagram the pins on the component are shown in numerical order
GiveMeABreak wrote: Then without the original wires with the codes printed on (as I mentioned in my original post) it seems there is no way of knowing what is what.
You could use part 2 of the diagram (the wiring part) & see that all the wires from the MAF go to connector IC60 so you could match up the pin numbers even if you don't have wire numbers
pin 1 - pin 19
pin 2 - pin 14
pin3 - pin 22
pin4 - pin 16
pin 5 - pin 24
That's a massive help wheeler! I will check the pins with the plug and I will keep you guys updated!
yamaha 1300
My Cars: citroen c3 xtr

Post by yamaha 1300 »

A good time of day, and who can tell whether it is possible to replace the MAF sensor from 1.4 hdi 16v 8hy to maf from 1.6 hdi 16v since we can not find the original?