C5 2.2 HDi Immobiliser ECU - Where is it?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

C5 2.2 HDi Immobiliser ECU - Where is it?

Post by xantom »

Hello folks,
This is a follow on from a request I submitted in a slightly irrelevant earlier post when I'd had a brain fuse and couldn't work out how to create a new post.
The immobiliser on my C5 2.2 HDi Mk1 has failed on me. Great efforts by an impressively knowledgeable Green Flag engineer failed to rekindle it so it's static on my drive again. I've got a Lexia and soon will have a laptop that works to load it onto. In the meantime though I'd like to remove and replace the immobiliser ECU as I've read that this sometimes revitalises it (I can't try a proper BSI reset because she's gone into economy mode and I can't get the window down).
Can anyone tell me where the Immobiliser ECU is located? Any other pearls of wisdom about recovering failed immobiliser systems will be gratefully received too.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 2.2 HDi Immobiliser ECU - Where is it?

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that the immobiliser system is part of the BSI. I had problems with the one on my 406 due to water ingress and after a lot of work ended up scrapping it. Hopefully the outcome of yours won't be as drastic and someone will come up with the answer, if they do I wish they had done it sooner :(

Peter
teuski
My Cars: -=X7|C2|AX|XM=-

Post by teuski »

The immobiliser system consists of the engine ECU, BSI and the chips in your keys and they all need to match. There is no separate immobiliser ECU.

You need to get all those from same car or have your engine ecu flashed to remove the immobiliser.

Or go to an official citroen garage and have them do their thing, which probably is pretty expensive...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you want to try the BSI reset and it's in economy mode - you'll have to bodge the fiirst attempt in order to get the window down:
Open the bonnet, disconnect the battery negative for a minute - reconnect, turn ignition to accessories and open window. Then you can try the BSI reset again properly - but allow some minutes for the car to 'sleep' and again on 'wakening'.

I'd also suggest taking the opportunity to check your battery - when was it last changed? - Might be worth giving it a charge regardless before trying the second BSI reset.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Why would you need the window down to do a BSI reset ??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Normally to switch on sidelights and perform the key fob part of the procedure without opening the doors and waking the network.

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Normally to switch on sidelights and perform the key fob part of the procedure without opening the doors and waking the network.
You can just leave the door open during the procedure, opening or closing the door wakes the network. If you leave the door open & Wait 3 minutes the BSI will go back to sleep as long as you don't close the door again. Its the changing of the state of the door that wakes up the BSI not the position that the door is in. I resync the keyfobs after waking the network anyway. Trying to do the reset on a C8 could get quite awkward with the door closed as the battery is in the floor.
The other alternative if you would prefer the door to be closed is to just close the catch over with a screwdriver to trick the BSI into thinking the door is closed.
I suppose everyone has their own method reset procedure that works best for them. Mines is:
Have the battery accessible (either bonnet, boot or door open depending on model).
Allow the BSI to go to sleep by waiting at least 3 minutes without opening or closing doors, pressing the keyfob buttons (or any buttons for that matter).
Disconnect both battery leads then connect a 12v bulb across the 2 battery leads for a few seconds to discharge any residual current.
Reconnect the battery after a few minutes then wait at least 3 minutes before doing anything else (pressing buttons, opening or closing doors etc)
I then lock the drivers door with the keyblade (closing the door first if it was open), wait a few seconds then unlock again with the keyblade, this will wake the BSI anyway as will turning the ignition on.
I then get in the car & close the door, switch the ignition on and rapidly press the keyfob buttons alternating between the lock & unlock buttons for 10 seconds, remove the key, insert & do the same with any other keyfobs, after the last kefob is done wait one minute without pressing the buttons or opening the door (this method gives me the best success resyncing the fobs for me.
lock then unlock with each remote, open then close the door then start car.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I appreciate some of us have 'modified' the procedure slightly Wheeler, (including me for my use), I just didn't want to list yet another version that detracts too much from the one that the OP is obviously looking at. Just trying to keep it simple! :- :wink:

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I have never actually read the version in the link in the forum till a couple of minutes ago hence wondering why the OP was thinking the window needs to be down, don't really see the need for the sidelights bit & have never done this, The wait times between each step are a bit excessive especially the half hour before reconnecting the battery. I do appreciate however that it may be someone's first time doing this & will want to take their time with each step which there is nothing wrong with of course.
I do agree that just sticking with the one version could avoid confusion, can be a lot to take in if its something your not used to.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

wheeler wrote:I have never actually read the version in the link in the forum till a couple of minutes ago hence wondering why the OP was thinking the window needs to be down, don't really see the need for the sidelights bit & have never done this, The wait times between each step are a bit excessive especially the half hour before reconnecting the battery. I do appreciate however that it may be someone's first time doing this & will want to take their time with each step which there is nothing wrong with of course.
I do agree that just sticking with the one version could avoid confusion, can be a lot to take in if its something your not used to.
Some procedures say wait a few seconds :roll: (!) for the network to sleep which is ridiculous. I believe that when you hear the 'click' from inside the car, that is indicative of the 'sleep' mode going active.

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GiveMeABreak wrote:I believe that when you hear the 'click' from inside the car, that is indicative of the 'sleep' mode going active.
Correct about the click, takes around 3 minutes.