Bosch diesel injector replacement, do they need recoding? Xsara Picasso HDI 2.0l 2002 RHY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Bosch diesel injector replacement, do they need recoding? Xsara Picasso HDI 2.0l 2002 RHY

Post by avamotor »

I'm looking into a poor running problem, suspect 1 injector is down, done some minor tests so far and awaiting decent weather :rofl2: and time after work to conduct more tests to clarify faulty components.

is it possible to simply swap the injectors or do they require recoding?

If they do need recoding has someone got a guide to inputting the information please?

Help greatly appreciated
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Bosch diesel injector replacement, do they need recoding? Xsara Picasso HDI 2.0l 2002 RHY

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here's a link to some injector info in my other post:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ng#p496576
This will tell you were the info is on the injector and how to enter it using a Lexia (there are links to Lexia screenshots of the injector coding screens in the post). Some will say you don't need to code injectors for some 8V engines - but as long as injectors of the same type are used. As I don't know what engine and Injection variation you have, I would code them to ensure the ECU provides the right fuel adjustment and to prevent possible running issues. :)

For further General info - here's a couple of links:
Carwood Injector Coding
Eurocarparts Injector Coding
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Re: Bosch diesel injector replacement, do they need recoding? Xsara Picasso HDI 2.0l 2002 RHY

Post by avamotor »

Thank you for the reply GiveMeABreak, i will attempt the fault finding/repair this weekend now armed with the above!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Definitely no coding required on this engine/injection system.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

okay, did a leak off test, 4 bottles, 4 tubes, plugged the return line with suitable plug i.e electrical screwdriver, ran the engine for 30 seconds and Diesel Injector 1 (is cylinder 1 classed as nearest to the gearbox rather than the timing belt end on these cars these days?) filled this amount in the high quality leak off bottle whilst the remaining 3 only had a dribble in the base of the bottles.

[URL=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Armed with this photo/information, is it fair to say that this injector does requires urgent replacement and has been a possible cause of the recent "non start" and low pressure faults causing the car to break down last week?
Bick

Post by Bick »

It stands a chance i would replace injector 4 sorry 1 lol ;-) and see how things go - by the way how many miles on the clock?
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Car has only 150,000 miles on the clock, so as its only just run in, i'll be able to start thrashing it soon. :-D

Went to Citroen this morning got 4 diesel injector washers, removed the offending diesel injector, swapped it for a "claimed good replacement diesel injector" after using a injector seat tool to clean the base, installed injector number 1 tightened up clamp bolt to 30nm, thought happy thoughts started car and it fired up as it used too without any hassle! =D>

Glad its running as it used to now rather than take 5 or 6 seconds to catch and fire up. Only thing i noted when lifting the bonnet was it was wet with diesel around the pipe union so nipped that up and will see later.

Could i ask if 1 bad injector would send the car into "shutdown" and prevent it from starting as well as generate low fuel pressure error codes and immobiliser fault codes?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes it can, it stops enough fuel pressure building up & the ECU wont fire the injectors unless a minimum pressure is met.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

SOLVED* Bosch diesel injector replacement, do they need recoding? Xsara Picasso HDI 2.0l 2002 RHY*

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF,

Thank you all the help and advice, car running as it used to before its breakdown, just trying to figure out if the injector high pressure theads are damp with diesel as a result of me not nipping them up enough yesterday or if its not sealed properly and i need a new pipe :(

Problem sorted thank you to all contributors! =D> :-D

Garry
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You are meant to replace the pipes every time they are removed but ive re used loads without any problems.
They are not meant to be done up too tight either, only around 25-30 Nm from memory