Self Fit Cruise Control Kit - Any Experience

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bargeman
My Cars: 1999 Xantia Estate 2.0 16v
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Self Fit Cruise Control Kit - Any Experience

Post by Bargeman »

Hi

I know it's getting long in the tooth (17 yrs and 135 k m) but when we use the Xantia 2 l 16v auto (Petrol) it is generally for hundreds of miles on quiet night motorways, so I'm thinking of fitting a Rostra 250-1223 Universal kit from the USA.

Has anyone any experience of fitting one or any other type, or any reason not to or things to watch for?

Hope someone can help.

Bargeman
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Re: Self Fit Cruise Control Kit - Any Experience

Post by c.morewood »

Paul, citroenxm did a cruise control fit to the late xantia he had a few years ago. You could try PM ing him.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think Paul's was an HDI which already had fly-by -wire cruise build into the ECU, just needing switches and wiring to make it work.

You could consider fitting the Hella cruise system that was fitted to Xantia Exclusives, but you need to find a donor car...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Having had a look at that kit I certainly can't see any reason that it wouldn't work.

Just keep in mind that getting cables between the cabin and engine bay can be a right pain on the Xantia - though I do believe that one of the big multi-way connector does have some pre-wired "vacant" pins intended for (presumably dealer fit) accessory installations.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
teuski
My Cars: -=X7|C2|AX|XM=-

Post by teuski »

I have once fitted a Rostra cruise to a 1.8 16V S2 and a VDO unit to a 1.9TD S2. Both were cable operated. It was fairly easy. If i remember right r

I have scanned the key parts of installation instructions and also some model specific install guides but they are unfortunately in Finnish. Maybe they are of some help anyway, at least you can figure out the setting for a Xantia like pulse type and speed etc. I can also help with translating.

The things to set up with a 1.8 16V are: sensitivity: high, VSS=5000 pulses, open circuit, centering slow, VSS signal type square wave,
Speed signal can be taken from a free connector under the little storage space behind the handbrake, pin 11. They suggest putting a 5,6Ohm resistor to the VSS wire.
RPM signal is on the OBD connectors pin 3 (green wire 95)

My Rostra kit was used and already fitted with Citroen control stalk. That finnish Xantia guide also has guide for wiring the OE stalk for Rostra.

http://www.citikka.info/gallery/Manuaal ... en-ohjeita
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

I fitted a Zemco cruise control to my Xantia HDI quite a few years ago, and it is still going strong. Unfortunately, I have forgotten many of the details.

The actuator is electrical via a motor and clutch, and it uses a cable and ball chain. I fitted it under the dash with a shortened cable to pull directly on the throttle pedal. Care needed to be quite sure nothing can catch or jam!

The electronic unit is in the centre console. I used the signal from the gearbox speed sensor, buffered it, and it proved compatible without further processing (normally fed from magnets on the drive shaft and sense coil).

I fitted master off switch which has warning light, and made up switch lever beside the steering wheel (up=engage, down resume, pull towards you=disengage, up or down change speed once engaged). Also, it uses brake light signal and clutch signal to disengage as normal; I made clutch switch so that a light touch disengages before any pedal movement.

With this implementation it is very easy to disengage without any change of speed. As the throttle pedal moves with cruise operation, you can shadow foot over it, then disengage with a light tap on clutch, giving seamless transition to manual.

Insurance company were unhappy about DIY fit, but did accept it. Could be worse nowadays!

Fred
Bargeman
My Cars: 1999 Xantia Estate 2.0 16v
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Post by Bargeman »

Hi All

Thanks for the input, all useful, if anyone else would like to comment I would be grateful. I will ponder the idea over the summer as I am afloat on the French Canals until Autumn, so won't do anything till then at the earliest.

Paul (Bargeman)