HDi Power Loss Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

volcane305

HDi Power Loss Update

Post by volcane305 »

I have a Xsara HDI 110 just coming up to 60,000 miles and have been experiencing a problem for the last 3 months 6,000 miles. When accelerating hard car loses power and is not able to exceed 55 mph. If I keep trying to make her go the management light will come on and limp mode activated. Seems to happen in heavy rain but not sure if thats a coincidence.
The car was bought at 40,000 miles 18 months old from a citroen main dealer. I reported the problem when having other work done under warranty, they cleared fault codes but did nothing about prob. Reported again- fault code this time said something about lack of turbo pressure? not sure exactly what was said. Fitted new air mass meter (which was in stock only because I had ordered it) also ordered a citroen kit to re-route the air intake to prevent water access. Kit was fitted about 2 weeks after new meter. 3 days after kit fitment same problem again, trying to push on no-go limp home mode (vvvv scary when trying to pass a lorry in heavy rain)
Any ideas?? could air meter be damaged again (if it ever was in the first place) What else could it be Fuel problem??? I changed the filter shortly after the first incident made no difference, one suggestion has been fuel filter housing faulty.
(Will create a log of all warranty work done along with servicing balls up later).
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
A common fault with HDI engines is the EGR or Turbo electorvalves not working properly.You really need to get the fault codes read again to truly determine whats at fault. Ask for a print out and also ask for the 'P' code of the fault.It sounds to me from your description its Turbo related and more than likely not the actual turbo at fault. My guess is its losing pressure so it may be the Electovalve at fault or Turbo pipe come adrift, or a split intercooler.
Hope that helps a bit.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My mate had a do like this with his Xantia HDi 110. New low pressure fuel pump cured it. His started by cutting out in the rain, but progressed rather quickly to total non-start condition. 60k seems about the right time for the pump to pack up.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I'd also say you're suffering from fuel starvation - could be the low pressure pump, could be just an air leak somewhere. Try replacing the last section of fuel line with transparent plastic and check it out for bubbles.
//NiSk
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

I was suspicious of fuel problem the first time it happened. I had been using biodiesel and thought this could have resulted in blockage of fuel filter. Changed filter which was ok, nothing to be seen in housing.
Talked to the garage today car booked in for thursday and another airflow meter to be fitted!! Problem only intermittent so car likely will be on best behaviour at garage. Should fault codes point to fuel problem?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello
Let us know what is the cure in the end. I still reckon it will be a turbo related or other fault but not a low pressure fuel pump problem. My experiance is the low pressure pumps are a weak spot but would pack up and the engine will not go into a back up mode as there is no fuel for the engine to run!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

*Biodiesel is definitely not a good idea in an HDi*
have a look at the airflowmeter again,see if the fine elements have corrosion on them,also while your there check that the air filter isnt soaked,this will also bring up a low turbo pressure fault.if it is then you have a big problem and each new flowmeter wont last very long,the air intake will need to be sealed properly.like monkeyman said there is also a good possibility of one of the turbo/EGR electrovales being faulty,these can also get water inside them,malfunction & stop vaccum acting on their auctuators.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

A citroen kit was fitted to prevent water access and air intake sealed took main dealer 3 hours-front bumper had to be removed. The air filter has always been bone dry. I think its nothing to do with the air intake /flow meter. Should the fault codes not point to the problem. My warranty is nearly up!! What is wrong with Biodiesel in a HDi???
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Are you using Biodiesel or Biofuel? Also are you using it 100% or a mix. I've had a problem with Biofuel in another diesel it's viscocity was very high and it really needed heating.
Running your car on fuel that conforms to EN590, that is 95% ulsd 5% biodiesl is endorsed by Citroen. This fuel is now becoming available in the UK and has been used in France for many years.
The following link has more details.
http://www.rixbiodiesel.co.uk/
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Car going to garage tomorrow. No harm in fitting a new airflow meter and possibly an air filter just in case. Had another opinion this evening and split intercooler was a favourite. I had a listen and a feel couldn't really see anything may test with spray gun tomorrow. Also Turbo problem as above a definite possibility. Will let the garage come up with ideas first but its a 110 mile round trip so really want to get it sorted.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

To check for a split intercooler, they sometimes give a clue as there is sometimes oil around the split in the area which is broken. Worth a look before you take it!
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Had a real good look at the intercooler, seemed to be spotless no damaged discolouration or anything else. Mechanic pulled out a folder of fixes updates etc. My problem was exactly described there date March 03. Worryingly the fix contain loads of imperatives. There is clear evidence of water splashing around the electrovalves.
Hope this will be the problem solved.
Thanks all for help. If I hadn't been informed then another airflow meter may have been fitted.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Update on above problem
Picked car up from garage hoping that it was fixed. Only got 10 miles and problem re-occurred. Loss of power followed by management light and limp home. Returned to garage and the same fault codes came up P0235 and P0246. can any one enlighten me as to what these codes mean.
What next. Has had air meter and new electrovalves ?????? buy a Fucus or a Gulf
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

P0235
Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

P0246
Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A High
it could be the turbo pressure sensor in the intercooler or it could be something else making this code falsley come up.has the vaccum pump been checked ? it should draw at least 0.8 bar.blow compressed air through the pipes to & from the electrovalves with the pipes all disconected to make sure they are fully clear.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Very latest.
Garaqe have now decided that the problem is with the wastegate and have ordered a new turbo! The turbo pressure sensor was replaced when the electrovalves were done. Glad I'm not paying! Can anyone fill me in on what exactly the electrovalves do??
I have a loan car until mine fixed.