Alternators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Alternators

Post by rossnunn »

I'm about to upgrade the Audio system in my new ZX to something abit more serious. The amp that I have pulls ALOT of current and Im worried about draining the battery with the audio running, as I may forget to have the engine running, I'm going to be fitting a second battery but would like to upgrade the alternator to something abit more meaty. Would the Xantia or BX TD alternator bolt on?, I say these as (in theroy) they should provide more power because A) there TD's, B) they have to porvide more grunt to run the spazzy suspension.
I'm looking for something that will bolt directly on.
Thanks
R
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Alternators for diesels have smaller pulleys, since diesels don't rev as highly as petrols. So if you're going to fit an alternator from a diesel, either fit the petrol engined size pulley, or be aware of the fact and don't rev its tiny little nuts off! Try looking for an alternator off a V6 - I know that the XM V6 and diesels share the same alternator (but with different pulleys) - either 90 ampere or 120 ampere (both of which would melt your wiring). I guess the Xantia V6 has a similar unit.
//NiSk
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

will it really melt the wiring?? ooh thats not good.
R
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

so what sort of amp's will i get out of a xantia TD alternator then?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'm sure that there were 80/90/120 amp alternators fitted to the Xan 1.9TD + air. They would fit a ZX given suitable belts I'm sure.
Someone remind me tomorrow and I'll look into this.
PS BX TD no good, 5 groove pulley, ZX TD uses 6 groove, need to check ZX & Xantia with aircon and 6 groove pullys to get the highest amperage alternators.
[;)]
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Actually the BXs had either 50a or 70a fitted depending on model. You can keep within the ZX range and find fitments of 50a/70a/80a/90a/95a/120a. The 90a/95a/120a are actually the 2.0/16v petrols, not the diesels which were 50a-80a.
Xantia models fit a similar variety.
David
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

No Ross, it won't melt your wiring, as long as you use a sufficiently proportioned cable to feed your power stage; but if you're going to be pulling 20 + amps, make sure that both the supply cable and the earth are up to it.
//NiSk
Russell

Post by Russell »

er, and you're wearing earplugs [;)]
cheers
Russell
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The oleo or "spazzy" suspension is mechanically powered, i would imagine any of the alternators without a fan between the pulley and the body will fit, If things are that bad re the power needs of your monster stereo why not get a small battery in a plastic box, pop it in the boot and charge it using a caravanners split charge relay, cheaply available from outdoor shops
Stewart