Total Quartz Oil, any lower cost suppliers?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reffro
My Cars:

Total Quartz Oil, any lower cost suppliers?

Post by reffro »

I'm looking to see if anywhere supplies Total Quartz engine oils at lower/cheap prices, rather than buying it from a filling station. I'm after the Quartz 9000 5w/40 diesel oil in particular.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Um, ever heard of GSF car parts?
Quartz 9000 is the fully synthetic if thats what you want.
Part number N98002G £17.50 & VAT. This oil is approved by Citroen for Petrol and the latest DW8 and HDI diesel engines.
Its not on the Webshop as we did not have a Carrier that would take it. That situation has now changed as we have Target on board who will deliver oil/LHM. I will add oils and fluids back into the Shop.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Just serviced mine and I payed £9.50 from GSF for the top total stuff, they probably got the price wrong though Was definatelt quartz 9000 though, the equiv in halfords was about £35
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sounds like they slipped up there, its the Quartz 5000 Diesel thats £9.50!!!!!!!!
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

FWIW I have successfully haggled at GSF Sheffield for Total Quartz when buying 4 x 5ltrs. My 4x4 takes 6ltrs and the XM 2.5 8ltrs
(I didn't get it down to £9.50, though...)
Halfords occasionally have their fully synth 5w-40 (made by Shell for Comma) at £17-ish for 5ltrs
rg
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

It is the 9000 I was looking for, as I am now running a C3 1.4 HDi, and that is one of the two recommended oils. I asked the question because it wasn't in the webshop....
Anyway now we all know you can deliver oils once more, Jon is there any difference between the 9000 oils? The Citroen handbook quotes two differing types, petrol and diesel, just wondering if there is a ny significant difference apart from the packaging.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes, I looked into this and even phoned our Total Rep as my Berlingo handbook said to use "Quartz 9000 synthetic diesel oil". I wanted to order some for my own car as we did not stock it at GSF.
The Total bloke checked it out and said that they only did one Q9000 and that did petrols and diesels. He then reeled off the various specs which confirmed it was OK for diesels.
See here to confirm this: http://www.total-lubricants.co.yu/pdf/CitroenTotal.pdf
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

The Total bloke checked it out and said that they only did one Q9000 and that did petrols and diesels.
See here to confirm this: http://www.total-lubricants.co.yu/pdf/CitroenTotal.pdf
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Jon
According to the above site they do 2 9000.
A 5/40w and a 5/30w[?][?][?][?]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Its not on the Webshop as we did not have a Carrier that would take it. That situation has now changed as we have Target on board who will deliver oil/LHM. I will add oils and fluids back into the Shop.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do Parcel Force know tey've just delivered me 5 lires of LHM and 5 lires of Hydraflush, then???
Jon

Post by Jon »

Obviously, Parcel Force did not realise otherwise they would have refused to take it!!
Yes, there is a 5/30W version of the Total synthetic. GSF sell the 5/40w, I'll find out if the other grade has any Citroen applications if I can.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Jon, thanks for the help.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I've just consulted the Citroen maintenance handbook and found out that the 5w/30 oil is an energy saving oil, developed by Total and recommended for use in only a few Citroens. It can't be used in the any car with a particle filter or in the Xsara Coupe VTS 16v, 1.4HDi 16v, or the 2.2i petrol.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Err so am I using the right oil for my 97 1.9 td xantia then (quartz 9000 from gsf unsure of the grade) YOU HAVE GOT ME WORRIED NOW
Jon

Post by Jon »

If its 5/40W Q9000 then its fine.
Paranoid, the 1.9Td runs just fine on Quartz 5000D oil, Q7000 semi synthetic for a treat. Giving it Q9000 fully synthetic is almost overkill. HDI's and the like use that oil.
They also use the "long life" oil filter 1109T1 in order to get these longer service intervals in conjunction with semi or fully synthetic oil.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I've just bought an old AXGT (1991). What oil would be best in a high mileage engine like this? Is there any point in using expensive oil, or would it be just as good to use something basic? I will be thrashing it :) but not over long distances