xm starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Graham Seamons

xm starting problem

Post by Graham Seamons »

I have an xm 2.0i petrol 1991 y.o.m.
The problem is :-
cold starting, with clutch disengaged not pressing accelerator pedal after a few attempts it fires & then stalls if I hold down full throttle nothing if i depress the accelerator down once & release & then keep trying on off on off eventually it will fire up then stall again after a few more trys it will eventually start but as soon as I touch the brake pedal it stalls again this can take up to 10 minuites
Starting when hot is also a problem ,sometimes it is ok but sometimes it will only start if the throttle is held half open & the engine is turned over for about 1 minuite.
any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Appart from the obvious things like air and fuel filters, spark plugs and ignition timing, you could try looking at the connector for the electronic ignition unit (up behind the r.h. strut seen from the front), the fuel pump (listen for it when you turn on the ignition - it sits in the fuel tank). Then there are various electrical maladies you could be suffering from - most of which are associated with connectors (try the big one under the hydraulic tank) and earthing points (of which there are lots in the engine bay.)
And last of all, the ignition switch itself has been known for do the dirty (NOT unusual for Cits).
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Graham -
Your desctription sounds as you still have the habit of starting a car with a carburetted engine.
On modern cars with electronic engine management - the ECU takes control over your throttling foot to start the engine.
This means you don't have the earlier type carb acc pump to inject a squirt of fuel on the pedal.
Bottoming the pedal would on earlier carbed engines vent a flooded engine - but won't do this on ECU controlled engines - as the ECU knows not to flood the engine. Rather you may introduce even further starting trouble.
Graham Seamons

Post by Graham Seamons »

thanks for replys
firstly I have tried following exactly the start up proceedure as described in the owners manual ... no luck there.
I forgot to mention that shortly after buying the car the cambelt snapped -which was nice! I got a head from a scrapper & had it fitted
so the timing was set up I have replaced the plugs & air filter & checked the H.T.leads & sprayed everything in sight with wd40 still no joy. the strange thing is that prior to the cambelt incident it started first time every time,could it be the heat sensor which sends to the fuel control system???
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Naughty boy! Not telling the whole truth. . . I'd bet your problems are connected to the cambelt incident. Something you did there isn't the same as it was before you changed the head, or there's something wrong with the new head.
Are you getting spitting and backfiring?
Try running a compression test (cheap & simple).
All wiring connected back the same? (check TDC sensor specially).
//NiSk