1.6 or 2.0 hdi dispatch? Which one?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed900

Re: 1.6 or 2.0 hdi dispatch? Which one?

Post by Ed900 »

Thanks nick for the fast reply :-)
so if I went for 2009 model year on ( I presume ) I'll be on safer ground? Or are these engines still coursing ( other ) problems?
Bick

Post by Bick »

You should be just make sure they are the later clamps - you need to look at the 2008 clamps and compare.

Dont be put off by 2008 type engine just because of the injector clamps as if tight they are fine - i have seen many 1.6hdi's with 200k + on them without problems.
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Did I read correctly that the later 1.6 hdi have larger oil feed and no filter to the turbo? Have read so much now I'm going round and round in circles. The van I buy needs to last me 10years +
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I thought the clamps didn't change until 2011 when the DV6C engine (which is 8V rather than 16V) came in. But I could be wrong....

The later unit still has a filter in the turbo feed pipe, but it's much larger. Anecdotally at least the 8V engine is much less prone to wrecking its turbo!

Like I say though, a couple of hours work will ensure the turbo is OK on the 16V unit - if the sump strainer mesh starts to block up it will give warning by rattling at cold start for a second or 2 before you get to the 'low oil pressure' warning. Of course, you acutally have to act on the noise..... :oops: I can confirm however, that even if you are bowling along the M8 at 70+ when the oil light comes on, the engine will survive as long as you stop; and even if it happens again 10 months later it will still survive; and that the engine runs just fine with the sump strainer removed :lol: Oh, and that by the time you've had the sump off 3 times it gets quite easy - even if you do have to pack the tools in the other car and do it outside your parents' new house 3 weeks after they moved in :mrgreen:
Richard W
Bick

Post by Bick »

RichardW wrote:I thought the clamps didn't change until 2011 when the DV6C engine (which is 8V rather than 16V) came in. But I could be wrong....

The later unit still has a filter in the turbo feed pipe, but it's much larger. Anecdotally at least the 8V engine is much less prone to wrecking its turbo!

Like I say though, a couple of hours work will ensure the turbo is OK on the 16V unit - if the sump strainer mesh starts to block up it will give warning by rattling at cold start for a second or 2 before you get to the 'low oil pressure' warning. Of course, you acutally have to act on the noise..... :oops: I can confirm however, that even if you are bowling along the M8 at 70+ when the oil light comes on, the engine will survive as long as you stop; and even if it happens again 10 months later it will still survive; and that the engine runs just fine with the sump strainer removed :lol: Oh, and that by the time you've had the sump off 3 times it gets quite easy - even if you do have to pack the tools in the other car and do it outside your parents' new house 3 weeks after they moved in :mrgreen:
I remember the problems you had Richard but you did sort it in the end - My 1.6hdi on the other hand has been fine and i know of quite a few 1.6hdi's from 2006 onwards without having any problems, without any modifications to the turbo oil supply, whilst covering high miles.

It is very odd that some engines have problems but i am convinced it is due to incorrect servicing and or leaking injectors. I used to know a guy with a Berlingo 1.6hdi and i noticed 2 of the injectors were leaking on it. I advised him to get them done asap and he did not take my advice, within 6 months the turbo was blown. Then he replace it and again i advised him to sort the injectors, i also advised him there would be carbon in the engine and to carry out the work you did to ensure the turbo did not get starved of oil again. You guessed it he didnt and the turbo blew again.

On the other hand i know of 3 other 1.6hdi's whose owners took my advice and checked the injector nuts every service and changed the oil every 7k - all 3 have done well over 100k without any problems.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Current score in our house is one good and one bad!

307 running original turbo at 116k (I did remove the filter soon after I got it, but I've not had to have the sump off). Injector seals were replaced at about 105k.

C4 now on 94k, but had new turbo at 69k, and sump off again at 76k and 83k. I had one injector seal done last summer, another is leaking now I see, so I am going to get the remaining 3 done. Although this one was stamped for services before we got it at 48k they were non-franchise, so no idea what oil was used.
Richard W
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

I thought the clamps didn't change until 2011 when the DV6C engine (which is 8V rather than 16V) came in. But I could be wrong....
Quote from above!
Is the later 1.6 8v then? Or am I reading it wrong. Anyone know of problems with this later engine?. Still looking for a van, not many 2.0 in my price range with decent mileage, but lots of 1.6!
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Hi all went to see one today, a 2010 with only about 55k on the clock was surprised to see the steering wheel was really worn, is this normal? it had fsh to warrant the miles but looked a bit iffy to me!
Any thoughts please
Bick

Post by Bick »

If the steering wheel looks a bit scuffed it could be okay as they do wear surprisingly quickly, also check pedal rubbers, handbrake, seats, tyres - these will also help to form a picture of the milage. At 55k the tyres should be well worn or replaced by now.
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Seat was worn, tyres are all as new, odd make cheepies. Wheel looks like someone's sat picking at it!
Bick

Post by Bick »

Doesn't sound loved does it? Maybe another one may be better - do not ignore your GUT instinct if your not certain walk away, plenty more fish lol
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

...well in the end I've finally bought a 1.6 :-0 !!!
Went for it as it's the lowest mileage, newest van I could find. It's just been serviced, but I doubt it's hat the ' corect' oil put in, so that's first on the list to sort, then to check the injector seal tightness, any help appreciated.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Okay oil from here cheapest place ive found for the genuine Total oil -https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/T ... l#SID=1065

I would get two and change the oil go for a 10/20 mile drive then change it again then you know you are nice and clean and have a good base with you new mota.

Injector clamps it depends which ones you have i believe up to about 2010 they are all the 7mm allen key type and you will need the ball end type - ideally on a t-bar so you cant snap them! Now the citroen torque is a crock of sh1t and too low so do them tight but for ....... sake remember how weedy they are dont snap them do them with feel. Thats the best way i can explain.

After 2010 they modified them and they will be fine but prior to this if they are not leaking still tighten them every one i have done was loose but once tightened properly they dont come loose or leak.

Let us know if you are okay and dont be a stranger when you dont need help :lol:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I have bought a car with unknown oil servicing I have used a proper engine flush. I have not (yet) had issues doing this, and I then know the oil should be OK.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Great advice thanks guys.... Is there a walk through guide on the net I could use to service it? Haven't even found where the air filter is yet!! :oops: