C5 - what to expect next?, I now know! Swirl valves and EGR

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hayabusa1300r
My Cars: 03 Mk1 Renault Megane Cabriolet c/w Roadbox
96 XJR1200
84 GPz900r A1 - own
99 Hayabusa - own

C5 - what to expect next?, I now know! Swirl valves and EGR

Post by hayabusa1300r »

Evening All

Anti pollution fault popped up, then lhm, quickly cleared but reoccurred twice more, no Lexia so took a punt on swirl valve actuator, got one in 24 hrs and fitted quickly and easily 1hr, no jacking up or under the car required - essential tool a 300mm screwdriver type Torx 20 bit got to the 3 bolts readily, after removing / releasing:

flexible pipe on air inlet / MAF
rigid pipe it connects to bracket bolt
breather pipe to "head"
EGR pipe at inlet manifold
EGR pipe bracket under breather pipe
removed vacuum pipe from swirl actuator at opposite end of actuator, to whatever its connected to - sorry don't know what it its "called"
withdrew vacuum pipe back to actuator
unscrewed the 3 Torx 20 bolts
withdrew the old unit back and upwards
took off vacuum pipe from actuator - was tight push fit, but broke adhesion by twisting sharply @ the elbow
threaded vacuum pipe back into position
put actuator into position and hooked on at head end using the socket
reconnected vacuum pipe to actuator
fitted bottom right, facing the car from front, bolt first - this allows actuator to be tilted as you are not 100% aligned
started other two bolts
tightened all 3 starting at bottom right again
connected vacuum at other end
All other is a simple reversal of removal sequence

Whilst off I cleaned out the EGR pipe at the inlet manifold end, it was blocked, as was the port at the manifold itself. I removed the air inlet pipe and cleaned the crud back out, to save as much as possible being drawn into engine. The car didn't want to start for 2 or 3 spins, coughed and then cleared - I'm imaging that some crud was drawn in. Took for extended blast, all good, fingers crossed. Does seem perkier but that may just be wishful thinking.

So has anyone physically removed and cleaned the EGR valve and pipework, not blanked, but took off and stripped / cleaned?

cheers

John - learning way too much about Citroen's ( which now has a few other names haha)