Ignition switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Currently: C5 1.6 E-HDi
Previously: Xantia V6

Ignition switch

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

Hi all.
Could someone please find me the helper relay mod for the ignition switch that Citrojim put on the forum,as my v6 has now started intermittent starting.
Many thanks H.
C5 1.6 e-hdi
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Ignition switch

Post by xantia_v6 »

The post which had Jim's link to the diagrams is part way down the page here, but the links are currently dead. I am sure that Jim will fix the links if he still has the diagrams. If not, then we can cobble something together. I need to make the same mod to my current Xantia V6, as a precaution.

Note that by the time they become intermittent, the contacts in the starter solenoid are already badly eroded, and the relay mod does not always fix them (but it usually does).

The first time I made this modification on a Mk1 V6 is recorded here, there are some hints on diagnosis, but I did not give specific instructions.
Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

Thanks for the reply,I have found Jims post with the dead links.
May be he could update with pictures of the mod under the bonnet etc. :wink:
Howard
C5 1.6 e-hdi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Links now fixed ;)

Sorry about that :oops:

Here's the links for easy reference:

Standard V6 Starter Circuit

Modified V6 Starter Circuit with a Helper Relay

Copy of the text from the linked post:
I took the live feed for it from the unused (in my case) Engine Bay fusebox F6 which feeds the headlamp washer timer relay which if fitted sits next door to the start inhibit relay (violet) in the engine bay fuse box.

I carefully removed both the unused washer relay base and the start inhibit relay base from the fuse box by releasing their holding tangs and rotating them a few degrees in their bayonets to release them.

I then carefully prised off the red underside insert on the relay bases to allow the wires, complete with the spades, to be removed from the bases.

I left the wires to pin 5 (supply from F6) and Pin 2 (earth) in place on the washer relay base but removed the wire from pin 4, insulated it and hid it away. The wire to pin 3 I cut to about an inch and a half long. The wire originally to pin 1 I cut about an inch and a half long and removed it from the base to give me a tail with a relay spade connector on the end.

From the start inhibit relay base I removed the wire going to pin 5 and moved it to pin 1 on the washer relay base. I inserted the tail I removed from pin 1 of the washer relay base into pin 5 of the start inhibit relay base and then jointed the ends of the wires from pin 5 of the start inhibit relay base and pin 3 of the washer relay base with a butt crimp.

Refit the red relay base inserts.

Insert a black 25A relay in the washer relay base and job done! Enjoy a reliable starter!

Another mod I did was to do away with the two-pin connector by the aircon pump that carries the starter solenoid feed. It's a single white wire in black curly trunking. I replaced the connector with a butt crimp as the connector is barely up to the job.

If you do have headlamp washers, you'll have to mount another relay base somewhere else but you can still "borrow" a supply from F6 as you won't ever be washing headlamps and starting at the same time!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

Thanks Jim for the info ,when your say relay which make ,spec etc.
H :)
C5 1.6 e-hdi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Howard V6 wrote:Thanks Jim for the info ,when your say relay which make ,spec etc.
H :)
Just a standard automotive relay Howard. I used a light green relay I appropriated from a scrap Xantia but any standard 20A Automotive one will do...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

Ok :)
H
C5 1.6 e-hdi