BX Wiring Gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

BX Wiring Gremlins

Post by vanny »

New car and beyond the masacred drive shaft and non existent fuel lines, im down to one last problem!
When i put side lights on (key in ignition), everything is fine.
Looking at the console, turn to dipped headlights and left indicator lights slightly, as does side light, headlight and main beam.
Turn to main beam and left hand indicator remains slightly light, as does side light but headlight and main beam lights are out.
If under one of these circumstances the left hand indicator is turned on then these bulbs create a console disco!
Ive tried disconnecting the connectors and cleaning before plugging back into the console. Checked EVERY bulb in the console (which solved a couple of other problems). Checked all the tracks in the plastic. Also checked the grounds from the console.
The indicators, headlights and side lights actually work perfectly, but the console indicator lights are doing the above.
Im at the end of my knowledge. Im not too worried about them as the lights actually work (very well!). Will it fail a UK MOT?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Being in DK I have no idea what UK MOT will comment on this [:)]
- but the symptoms looks familiar to me as a simple earth point failure - somewhere in the haystack.
BX series 2 instrument panel is grounded on these contact points :
Green 9pole pin 8 : lights on status lamps & instrument gauges
White 8pole pin 8 : same as above
These earthings originates from the same earthpoint as the headlamp bulbs - but of course these earths passes thru a couple of other connectors on their route to the instrument panel.
For the sake of completeness - you have these earth contacts too :
Green 9pole pin 4 : panel backlight bulbs
Blue 4pole pin 2 : rev counter
Check using a testlamp connected one side to +12V - enough wattage to sanely load the earth routing - i.e. a couple of watts.
Don't load the wiring insanely using a headlamp bulb.