Xantia crankshaft oil seal and clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia crankshaft oil seal and clutch

Post by CitroJim »

lazza wrote: Dont understand why the ball joints need to be split- cant you just take the nut off and and swivel the hub out of the way?
No, the lower balljoint has to be split so the hub can swing. It cannot otherwise...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Just slackend the LH hub nut no probs. Then thought I'd slacken the RH one too just in case i decided to take the RH drive shaft out completey- but it wont budge!! the breaker bar is just over 1M long, but it's starting to warp- Any suggestions?
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Mmm and then this happened:

Living in exile in Spain
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Get a bigger one.... You can try putting the strain on the nut and then belting the back of the breaker bar in line with the nut, this often shocks the nut free. As you have found out, they can be tiiiiiight!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lazza wrote:Mmm and then this happened:

I've had the same happen Larry! On an identical bar...

As Richard says, get a bigger one ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

any suggestions you could point me too? have little choice it appears on amazon here in spain
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

One that does not have a forked head will be much better Larry, the fork is a real weak point...
Jim

flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

If you didn't have to undo the ball joints the shafts would have to have massive flex! This isn't a really difficult job the biggest problem is the pin which secures the clutch arm HAS to be removed and they sometimes get wedged in after a few years. When putting the box back in make sure the arms are facing out (put something through the hole so as to be able to move it. If you get it in right there should be a little bit of play in the arm. If it's completely tight you've missed the bearing aperture and need to have another go. It's easier than it sounds. I've only ever done these on axle stands so that really isn't an issue
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

any pics or links for ones without a forked head? all the ones i can find seem to be forked
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Something like this will be much better Larry, still forked in a way but in the opposite sense...

Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mine is like that. It can take, er, a lot of abuse!!
Richard W
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Lazza, totally random question, where do you get veggie oil from? Do you have a problem with the tax man?
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Hi, actually haven't been using any this year. The guy who gave me his from his donught stall sold his business. Would buy virgin oil but diesel is so cheap right now I've got lazy I'm afraid to say. No probs re tax etc- noone obeys the law here ;)
Living in exile in Spain
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

1/2inch breaker bars are not suitable for this job. I always use a 3/4 drive t-bar and 3/4 drive socket. You can put a metal tube (jack handle or scaffold pole) over the end and stand on it. Worked for me on many, many hub nuts.
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI

I'm still perplexed as to why I have to take the lower ball joints off- as far as I can tell they are once you take the end nut off and slip the wishbone off, the ball joint just hangs freely and doesnt do anything- I must be being an idiot, but really cant see how taking the ball joints off help me take the driveshaft off- please could someone explain it as if you were talking to a child?
Living in exile in Spain