Xantia crankshaft oil seal and clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Xantia crankshaft oil seal and clutch

Post by lazza »

HI All

Hope all is well with you guys. Been a long time since i've had to do any work on the Xantia. But I guess sooner or later stuff needs doing.

Currently it's been leaking alot from under the engine to gearbox area. Two garages have both said it's the crankshaft oil seal that needs replacing (if my terminology is correct)... and i thought that while i'm at it, i'd put a new clutch in.

However, bit concerned that it's a very big job and as I dont have a pit or ramps, that it may be too difficult to perform with axle stands.

What do you guys think? How do I best go about this job?

Cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Re: Xantia crankshaft oil seal and clutch

Post by ken newbold »

It's do-able depending on how many tools you have around you, but not too easy.

I've done a couple of xantia clutches on the drive with axle stands, various jacks and lots of sweat and collier language.
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Citro Jim did mine on his drive with the selection of stands jacks etc. I don't have the ability to do that now or I would have attempted it myself.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

What's the procedure?

Driveshafts off, gearbox off, Clutch off?
Living in exile in Spain
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 14&t=54694

1.9TD is a bit different as the clutch is cable operated, and the release bearing is attached to the clutch when it comes. You need to remove the operating arm from the clutch release fork before pulling the box; then when you put it back ensure that the release bearing is upright on the clutch and that the release arm rotates as the box goes back - fir a couple of bolts and then the release arm and check that it is engage - if it's all floppy then pull the boc off and do it again - you would be v annoyed if you got it all back together and it didn't work!

1.9TD is easier than the link above - the box is smaller and lighter so comes out easier - it might even be possible to do it without removing the LHM tank.
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's a long kind of read. Kind of veered off topic a few times as the best blogs do [emoji12] [emoji13] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Yes, it's hard to follow- can anyone give me a list of steps of what I need to take off to get to the clutch and crankshaft oil seal?
Living in exile in Spain
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Can no one give me a quick list of parts i need to take off to get to the clutch and crankshaft oil seal??

Dont want to have to rely totally on the Haynes manual, that would be scary 8-[

Cheers
Larry
Living in exile in Spain
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's pretty well covered in Haynes, AFAIK. But basically...

Loosen hub nuts, on stands, susp on low. Drain box. Spilt bottom ball joints, remove drive shafts. Remove output housing on OS, and disconnect speedo cable / sender. Remove cover plate engine to box on the bottom.
From top remove battery, battery tray, cover on the gearbox, unbolt regulator, unplug reversing switch, unclip gear rods, remove clutch cable, remove spring and pin and mark release fork relative to box, unbolt and drop back starter, remove LHM tank if you think it necessary to get access to the top of the box, and anything else that looks like it's in the way.
Support engine and box, remove gearbox mount, support box separately (pref overhead, but it can be done on a jack), unbolt box to engine and pull it back, watching how the release arm rotates on removal, possibly marking a second mark to show removed position of release arm.

On reassembly, set release arm at second mark, and release bearing in upright position with cutouts at front (IIRC) offer up the box and slide it home - check that the arm has rotated back to the first mark. Fit a couple of box bolts, and the release arm, then check that it feels like it has engaged - if it's loose and floppy, take it off and try again.

After that, reassembly is the reverse of removal!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Larry,

This link to a post I wrote ages ago about doing a 1.9TD clutch may help shed light...

Here it is: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23322

It's nowhere near as tricky and plain difficult as the Activa clutch I did for Davie :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI That's brillilant, thanks guys

I take it from Jim's old thread that full removal of the driveshafts is not essential???
- cracking those hub nuts is quite a job, so I'd prefer not o have to unless totally necessary.

My only concern is the lack of a crane, will look at jacking options
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The RH one can stay put Larry but must be swung out of the way.. The LH one will need to be removed though...

Hub nuts are normally OK and come free with a decent breaker bar... Only occasionally dot hey put up a real fight!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Thanks Jim, bit confused though as your old post said:

"Pull the LH driveshaft partially out of the gearbox. Very easy, it might even come out on its own. If you're doing a Rolls-Royce job, removing the LH driveshaft completely makes life a little easier but it's by no means necessary.

Not so the RH driveshaft. This driveshaft has an imtermediate bearing and the bearing must be released from its housing before the driveshaft will come out of the gearbox."

Could you clarify?

Hub nuts should be broken with all four wheels on the ground if iirc, is that right?
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Larry, what I should have said is that you can pull the RH one clear after disconnecting the lower swivel joint on the hub and then driving the intermediate bearing out of the housing.. The shaft will then pull out of the gearbox and swing just clear of it. So no need to undo its hub nut...

The LH shaft you will need to fully remove I'm sure... It does pop out very easily...

The hub nuts are loosened with the wheels on the ground. The nut can be got at through the centre of the wheel. If you have centreless alloys, pop the steel spare on to do the job...
Jim

lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Ok, cheers.

Dont understand why the ball joints need to be split- cant you just take the nut off and and swivel the hub out of the way?
Living in exile in Spain