Oh well Back in the 2cv once again.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Oh well Back in the 2cv once again.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, after successfully rebuilding my Citroen Xantia 1.9td after a road accident
on my Birthday the problem devil seems to be back to haunt me once again.

Yesterday 30th of June I was driving up a hill at about 35mph in third gear
when all of a sudden there was a mighty Bang almost as though I had hit a very deep pothole.
The sound travelled right through the car.
I pulled over and stopped immediately as I did so it sounded like I was dragging something along the road.

I checked under the car and found nothing odd or hanging off the car.
I opened the bonnet and checked the strut tops, then I checked the suspension legs to.
engine still running I raised the suspension and checked the drive shafts and all the wheels
giving them a good shake to see if anything was loose.

I lowered the suspension the clutch was and is working fine the car drives but there is a horrendous rattle
probably from the gearbox somewhere, fortunately I have a spare gearbox in the shed.

The rattle sounds like it is an exterior fault because it is so loud.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps a clutch spring plate spring has snapped off
and is rattling around the circumference of the clutch diaphragm.
The clutch was replaced about 300 miles ago.

any ideas please? it has been suggested that the final drive has gone or is going soon.
the rattle was very bad driving/limping home this rattle gets faster as I speed up.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Oh well Back in the 2cv once again.

Post by xantia_v6 »

CV joint or driveshaft intermediate bearing???
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The only time I've seen a diff fail on the BE3 unit, it punched a hole in the casing :(

I'd go with the intermediate bearing possibly collapsing for the moment or a couple of clutch fingers have decided to part company with the rest of the assembly, that could cause some horrible noises too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

spider wrote:The only time I've seen a diff fail on the BE3 unit, it punched a hole in the casing :(

I'd go with the intermediate bearing possibly collapsing for the moment or a couple of clutch fingers have decided to part company with the rest of the assembly, that could cause some horrible noises too.
I had that on my BX. Tremendous bang ascending a long ramp.
Parked car and went shopping, on returning saw fluid on the ground and presumed LHM but suspension, steering and brakes all fine and reservoir full.
Crown gear had broken up and punched a hole in the side of the gearbox with some loss of oil.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's the clutch it will be engine speed related and present all the time the engine is running, if it's the diff or drive shafts it will be road speed related,and only present when the car is moving. Sounds like it could be the diff...
Richard W
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Richard W, (CC: spider, Mygalren and XantiaV6).

come to think of it your right on the money there
the rattle is not present whilst the engine is idling so it looks like
it could be the diff going.
will have to call my recovery company to get the car to Pleiades next week
as I have had Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy diagnosed in my feet and hands (nerves dying, extremely painful).
will retrieve the spare gearbox from shed and give it a clean up. Xac reckoned it was a goodie when I
bought the engine and box from him a few years ago.

When My BX Box went home it did it on my driveway reversing in, a massive bang and the diff
came through the bottom of the box leaving a large hole and oil everywhere.
this one on the Xantia hasn't come through the box and there is no oil leak at all yet.
sometime in the past the third gear synchromesh was replaced and it has always been a noisy box in third gear.
when we had the country covered in snow I did say I had some troubles selecting gears especially third gear.

the drive shafts were reconned only last year the n/s greased and boots replaced and a new shaft
and intermediate bearing fitted to the drivers side, with new gearbox shaft seals.

oh well thanks for the ideas Everyone. it helps a lot to see things I might have missed along the way.

regards.
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I have had Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy diagnosed in my feet and hands (nerves dying, extremely painful).
Sorry to hear you have that Nigel. I have had a bit of that in a damaged foot and leg. Wow! the sudden electric pain!

There is nothing more true in life than the saying "My nerves are shattered" Mentally and physically we are at their mercy 8-[
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
falling-out-with-my-car

Lexi,

Thanks for that, I hope you have the pain under control now.

The burning sensation in my feet is disruptive of my days to say the least I become more and more crippled
with the burning pain in my feet, toes and hands as the day progresses. getting back on my feet from a sitting position is
very hard to do because of the pain and numbness in my feet and I have noticed my balance is going slowly but surely to.
Nearly fell over backwards three times yesterday afternoon.

It has to be reported to DVLA to which frightens me a lot, I've been told to wait until I see the diabeteologist (Consultant)
Podiatry say it is progressive and some of the pain can be alleviated with good diabetic sugars control.
They have given me a drug called Gabapentin designed for epilepsy but apparently good for nerve pain.
I've got a cardio stress test coming up on 20th of July to and I'm worried that the Neuropathy has reached the nerves surrounding my heart.

Looks very much like they will have my driving license sooner or later and that's not really an option living 6 miles from the nearest town.

I spent a year in a wheelchair owing to multiple blood clots in my legs and lungs years ago and I know now from my GP that I will have to go back into my wheelchair
eventually but I can definitely say I am not looking forward to it at all.

DVLA already Know I use insulin for my diabetes control and that alone makes no difference to insurance costs.
God knows what difference Peripheral Neuropathy will make. I fear that I may be looking at only being able to drive an adapted vehicle in the future.
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Nigel,

Keep your pecker up and just adapt the Xantia for disabled use.

I understand your problems as my father is 89 and has to use a wheelchair for mobility. He is also a diabetic.

Hopefully you will get the Xantia back on the road.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
falling-out-with-my-car

Cheers Kenny and apologies for bringing down the tone
of the forum. I've cleaned up the spare gearbox and managed to get it trolleyed
into the car up my alloy collapsible scooter ramps.

Just have to arrange recovery from home to Pleiades now by Thursday 7th June.
hopefully they will oblige its just under 25 miles to Pleiades and they have done the trip with
the car many times before. Hopefully it wont be as expensive changing the box as a new clutch and clutch cable.

Funny I did say to Martin @ Pleiades do you think it wise to fit this other gearbox when changing the clutch
as the third gear syncro seemed a little iffy, he suggested sticking with the old box which is now defunct.

regards.
Nigel.
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hind sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
falling-out-with-my-car

Yep and I thought I had no skill set at all. :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, so sorry to hear of this latest car calamity and with your health too :(

Hope it all soon resolves and please let us know what was the root cause of the problem...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Hello Jim,

Moved the car for the first time this morning since said calamity.

and it drove ok at a very low speed (crawl) but the thrust bearing
when I pushed on the clutch pedal seemed very noisy for a 3 month old clutch.
when the hoist started pulling the car up onto the recovery vehicle it was almost
as though the cars handbrake was on even though it wasn't and it wasn't in gear because the engine was running
to allow the power steering to work. I have appointments late morning and early afternoon but I'm hoping to get over to Pleiades
when she's on the ramps to find out what the hell has gone wrong.

I had a new drivers side shaft fitted and I'm wondering if one of the knuckle joints has snapped on the inside
close to the gearbox this would be a lot less likely to cause a wobble when driving but may still rattle
somehow. I fear very much that the box has gone home at 187K strange as I have changed the oil annually
and added ptfe to keep the gear change smooth.

will definitely let you know what it is as soon as I know.

cheers Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That sounds like quite a catastrophic failure in the gearbox Nigel...

A little interesting it has happened so soon after the clutch replacement...

One thing I've noticed in the past is that bellhousing bolts sometimes work loose after a clutch change unless well done up...

On ones I've done recently, including Davie's) I always use a torque wrench and double-check them now...

Not saying it is that for a moment but always worth checking them after a few hundred miles of such major work..

That goes for yours too Davie ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...