Xantia front pad and disc change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwoolie
My Cars:

Xantia front pad and disc change

Post by gwoolie »

Needed to change the pads AND Discs as they got a wee bit too low and scored the disc.
Bought Disc and Pads from GSF.
The nearside pin came out easily, lifted up and all undid for the disc exchange.
Screwed the piston back in clockwise with a bit of effort.
Went to put the new pads in and there wasnt enough gap! the piston IS fully retracted. I ended up having to put an old pad in in hope to bed the new disc +1 new pad in enuf to fit the remaining pad??
The offside came apart the same, new disc in, piston wound in and new pads, but god was it a tight fit and they bind a little.
Any clues?
I wound the pistons in by turning clockwise with some pressure and a metal bar.
On one of the callipers the rubber dust shield on the slider bar has prerrished and torn. Is there a replacement? GSF? or dealer??
Look forward to help
Regards
Woolie
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Make sure the handbrake levers on the calipers are all the way back against their stop, there should be between 3 and 5 millimeters of cable travel before the levers begin to move.
Have you made sure one of the notches in the pistons ligns up with the anti rotation peg on the rear of the pads, if not there may not be enough room to get the pad in, the piston will bind in its bore and the brake will seriously overheat.
If you are sure the pistons are wound fully back and no other cause can be located, have you got the right discs, there are three diameters and four widths of front disc for the xantia, though its not usualy possible to fit a thicker disc in a caliper designed for thinner types, if you are not the original owner of this car it may have had wrong calipers fitted at some stage.
Dave
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

I spent ages winding the pistons in. they were a bit of a sod !!
They seemed to have gone all the way in.
The locators went in right.
The Xantia is a 2.1TD, I gave GSF the model amd year so I hope they are right?? They are Brembo discs. And Bendix pads.
The old discs had a small lip on the outer edge, so i changed them.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It appears that up to 10-98 the discs for the 2.1td were 283mm x 26mm Brembo number 09.6925.10
11-98 onwards they are 288mm x 28mm Brembo number 09.7877.10
Looks like you could have later discs on earlier calipers, if so the pads are also unlikely to have the correct sweep over the disc so check them too.
Dave
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

Thanks for that Dave, i think thats the prob. the thinkness is about 26mm on the old discs. So i reckon the new ones are thicker??
Gonna take take it all apart 2morrow.
GSF can have them back then an the pads too if they have glazed!!