Gold Sinker Mk1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Re: Gold Sinker Mk1

Post by aerodynamica »

Ha thanks, I went for a spin after the traffic died down this evening and it is definitely working properly. I found that the hydractive lamp is still acting like an ABS test lamp and so far hasn't began flashing to show a recorded fault (or two or three..) so it seems fine. I should admit (and I'm surprised noone pointed out the possibilty!) that the ECU I fitted is actually from a 1995 XM. Of course this means the parameters from the sensors are all a bit different so this means it'll react a bit differently - and it does! I would say that with it expecting a bigger car it slightly over reacts and so feels a little more sensitive. In sport mode it holds on to the stiff setting for a longer duration than the Xantia settings (I actualy recall this characteristic from my old Hydractive 2 XM) but largely it's barely different.

About the faulty ECU. Unless there's a dry solder I'm wondering if this stuff was all caused by the fault memory getting too full (?)

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

aerodynamica wrote: About the faulty ECU. Unless there's a dry solder I'm wondering if this stuff was all caused by the fault memory getting too full (?)

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Yes, it's always been my belief that clearing a load of stored faults from a Hydractive ECU can make a world of difference...

You just need a member with a suitable later Xantia (or XM) nearby who can pop the ECU into theirs and do the necessary...

I, for one, will be most interested to learn the result Graeme...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Yes Jim, I wonder what would happen if I managed to hook up the ECU and clear the faults. The XM H4 ECU is still functioning well with the pedal sensor working well - still not really sure what's different about the Xm coding versus the Xantia programming of the H4. It seems to respond fairly similar to the previous ECU. If anything it's the pedal sensor sensitivity that's a bit higher, again, probably anticipating the inertia of a bigger car. Anyway, I think I would reinstate the original ECU if I did manage to clear the faults and that it was actually physically sound (that it might not be..!)
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The XM and Xantia ECUs are programmed a little differently but for test purposes they can be swapped... Certainly for the purposes of reading/clearing faults/testing.

I've even run an Activa Hydractive ECU on an XM for testing on one occasion!

Swapping standard and Activa ECUs need a modification to the keyways on one of the connectors if you ever want to try it...

Sadly it does not turn your ordinary Hydractive Xantia into an Activa :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

How much memory is reserved for faults then? I would have thought you could get thousands logged. No?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, that I don't now but I don't think very much... I think the most I've ever seen recorded is maybe ten,,,
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Oh that's not a lot is it.

Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:Oh that's not a lot is it.
Doesn't need a lot really Dave and it is late 80s technology... It was pretty advanced in its day...

There is only a small number of faults it can log anyway...

Thankfully it doesn't run Windows... Otherwise it could log thousands and no doubt regularly blue-screen :lol:

Incidentally, speaking of advanced for its day, the Xantia/XM Hella vacuum cruise control ECU is based on a Zilog Z80 8-bit microprocessor...

When you think that appeared in the late 70s it really was rocket science then...
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Haha. Reminds me of something I read some years ago when Chrysler were having some issues in the US. I think they had to do a big recall on a safety issue and one of the big bosses at Microsoft made a sarcastic comment about the recall. Chrysler's CEO said he could imagine hitting the brake in an emergency and a message popping up on a screen: "Are you sure you want to use the brake?" :-)

Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:lol: And they once said that if cars ran Windows you'd have to press the 'Start' button to stop it..

I do believe that may now be the case in some 'moderns'?

I further believe some 'moderns' now have a start button reminiscent of my first Mini... :roll:

Whatever next? A starting handle perhaps? 'Crash' gearboxes maybe? Hey! What about a choke control? :lol:
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote::lol: And they once said that if cars ran Windows you'd have to press the 'Start' button to stop it..

It is indeed.
While this may be open to interpretation, a man was killed when his car wouldn't stop, the stop button did nothing.

The Independent.

Happened with a VelSatis a few rears back too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

All that <spherical objects of a personal nature> makes me more and more resistant to running a 'modern' :twisted:

I just can't trust the technology and the experience with the 207 I have on SORN (possibly for a long time) underlines that in two big thick red lines...

I can't trust software at any level... 30 years of working with it professionally has done that to me...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote::lol: And they once said that if cars ran Windows you'd have to press the 'Start' button to stop it..

It is indeed.
While this may be open to interpretation, a man was killed when his car wouldn't stop, the stop button did nothing.

The Independent.

Happened with a VelSatis a few rears back too.
I'm very skeptical of the facts surrounding this story. Yes the man died and that is a Tradgedy.

But did the cruise control kill him ? I don't think so. It did potentially malfunction but it didn't kill him.

When you read about the call to 999 one of the questions he asked is should he try pulling on the handbrake to which the person assisting said I don't know I'll find out, which they never did.

But the smoking gun is why didn't he just press the brake pedal damn hard ???? And why wasn't that the first thing the 999 operator suggested ?

No normal car has an engine that can overpower the foot brake. Not even in 1st gear. I have a 200hp Xantia V6 and I can floor it in first and stamp on the brake pedal and the brakes will still slow the car down.

There is no way that his brakes could not have safely slowed the car down in top gear even if the throttle was to the floor. I just don't buy it.

A failure of the cruise control AND a complete failure of the foot brake on the same car ? Unless the ABS and cruise control ECU's had been hacked or there was other deliberate sabotage I just can't see it.

For that matter did he make any attempt to take it out of gear ?

The lack of a conventional ignition key has nothing to do with this incident.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do trust software will do something; just not always what I want it to do!

It does not help that, in the past, major software houses (yes, I do mean you, IBM (amongst others)) paid their programmers by the amount of code they generated. This meant if you produces 2 different versions of a program to do a job, and one was 16,000 lines of code while the other was 10,000 lines, you would submit the 16,000 version. Paid to write bloatware!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

There is a huge amount of truth in what you say, Jim.
The only certainty is that 'automated systems' will, at some point, fail.
When that happens, the only rescue may well be manual intervention.

It's the reason why fully automatic London Underground trains have a driver still in the cab. The system, ultimately, is not trusted to cope with (a) failure, and (b) all emergencies. Tube trains full of people are expensive things, and calamities are almost intolerable. Aircraft auto-pilot systems likewise. The same cannot be said of road traffic transport, where the perceived costs of even major 'accidents' are regarded as acceptable, even though they happen on an almost hourly basis, and where a charge of corporate manslaughter is unlikely. The advent of driverless cars will bring all this into focus, and will be a legal minefield.
Chris