Thought experiment - using an HDi engine in another vehicle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Thought experiment - using an HDi engine in another vehicle

Post by spider »

Peter.N. wrote:I would like to see one of those. Very easy to change the diff on and a number of different ratios - if there are still any about.

Peter
Sure. :)
spider wrote:Morris Minor with a TUD5: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... 500-diesel

Another 'Moggie' this time with the 1.9 XUDT lump: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 15#p335476

:o
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that. I take it that the first one is driving the front wheels.

Peter
spider

Post by spider »

Peter.N. wrote:Thanks for that. I take it that the first one is driving the front wheels.

Peter
Yes. Although that seems like a lot more trouble, certainly it seems more hassle than sorting out some kind of bellhousing / flywheel / clutch assembly to mate it to the Moggy transmission and making a couple of suitable engine mountings. A FWD Moggy would be um interesting to say the least ( ! )
Andy.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

At least you can wind the suspension up.

Peter
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

spider wrote:Regarding rear axle's, I'm assuming you were planning on opening the diff itself and changing the internals ?
Indeed, hence not trivial. Further, on the MGB axle the standard 3.909:1 and 3.7:1 CWPs take one diff carrier and the 3.3:1 and 3.07:1 take a different one as the crownwheels are a different thickness. None of the others are particularly common, in fact I've never seen the 3.3:1 one.
spider wrote:Would it be possible (easier?) instead to simply use the diff from something more suitable ratio-wise, even if you have to assemble suitable halfshafts ? I'm thinking inner = diff donor , outer = real car. This may or may not be practical I know. Just seems a bit easier than trying to obtain a ring/pinion ( ? ) set. I'm not really up on this too well.
Did I mention that the axle has wire wheels? Just another little complication...
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Enjoyed reading about the Moggy conversions. IIRC there was a very low power (35bhp?) 1.5 diesel B series engine that BMC made and was fitted into some export model of something or other. ISTR that some were made to fit in Moggies.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

It was 40 hp actually which wasn't brilliant even at the time, if I remember rightly the starter produced more torque than the engine! It was used in the A60 Farina originally also the J2 and J4 vans. I did try one in a Morris Oxford estate but it was not as good as the Perkins engines used in most other vans. I can't remember whether it would bolt up the the petrol engine gearbox or whether it had a special one of its own, the problem was the need for a larger flywheel for the diesel engine.

Perkins got over this problem with their many conversions by making the flywheel thicker instead of larger in diameter.

There was also a 1000cc BMC diesel used in small tractors and based on the 'A' series engine, in fact a friend of mine had a couple and I saw them a year or so ago, they look quite cute.

Peter
spider

Post by spider »

I'm not familar with the suspension setup on the 'moggy' , I'm going to assume it is not that curious hydrolastic system they seemed to fit to Metro's as its too old for that, before they designed such a system. Was it king/link pin on the moggy ? :-k

I'm only really aware of little things like the fluid reservoir being in the chassis rail or suchlike (near the drivers seat?)

The A series did seem quite a sensible unit, later A+ (Metro?) a bit more sturdy I guess. I do remember vaguely being told to keep away from the 1.1 long stroke units (only fitted to mini's?) as they could knock the bottom end out with alarming ease if tuned. Apart from the tappet cover being removable on the 1275 but not on the 998 (?) unit, that is as far as I know, excluding the interesting clutch design on the FWD versions of this engine. At least the transmission oil was kept clean I guess being shared with the engine...
Andy.

Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

Yes, the Moggie had kingpins. As did the Marina and they fit the Moggie. Led to easy disc brake conversions for the little 'uns.....
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

spider wrote:I'm not familar with the suspension setup on the 'moggy' , I'm going to assume it is not that curious hydrolastic system they seemed to fit to Metro's as its too old for that, before they designed such a system. Was it king/link pin on the moggy ?.
Sort of. There was the dreaded bottom trunnion which, if not kept greased, would seize and then break away leaving the Moggy stranded by the side of the road with the wheel splayed out at a alarming angle.

Definitely not hydrolastic. But it did have torsion bars at the front. And rack and pinion steering when most cars had cam and peg steering boxes.
spider wrote:I'm only really aware of little things like the fluid reservoir being in the chassis rail or suchlike (near the drivers seat?)
Just like an A35, my first car.
spider wrote:The A series did seem quite a sensible unit, later A+ (Metro?) a bit more sturdy I guess. I do remember vaguely being told to keep away from the 1.1 long stroke units (only fitted to mini's?) as they could knock the bottom end out with alarming ease if tuned. Apart from the tappet cover being removable on the 1275 but not on the 998 (?) unit, that is as far as I know, excluding the interesting clutch design on the FWD versions of this engine. At least the transmission oil was kept clean I guess being shared with the engine...
1275 engines did away with the tappet chest covers except possibly true Cooper S engines and Marina engines. Smaller engines retained the covers The 1098 was a long stroke version of the 948/998 engines and was not built for revving. Mk3 Sprite/Mk2 Midgets had a special version with stronger 2" main bearings (like the 1275), all other 1098 engines had the whippier 1-3/4" main bearings.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think they called them 'swivel pins' they were threaded, the threads would strip if they were not kept well greased, as Paul says the suspension would collapse on the floor. Even regular greasing didn't always prevent it as it could dry up and still fail, what you had to do was lubricate them with EP140 oil every now and again and that would 'wet' the surface and allow the grease in to the threads.

The front suspension was adjustable torsion bars with leaf springs at the rear.

Peter
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

spider wrote:The A series did seem quite a sensible unit, later A+ (Metro?) a bit more sturdy I guess.
I had an 1275 A+ in a Maestro. With a 5 speed box it was actually pretty good - mine wasn't showing any problems at 135K. Unlike the body...

I might have kept it longer but for the fact it needed 4* and I was just starting my Citroen habit.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Strangely the 'A' series finished up bigger than the 'B' series started at. Our A40 van was 1200cc or thereabouts, the 'A' series ended up at 1300cc or maybe bigger?

Peter
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I'm going to have to dig out my copy of Lindsay Porter's book on the B series engine now!