Risk of particle filter clogging

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TodiCroitor
My Cars: C5 1.6 Hdi vtr+ 2009

Risk of particle filter clogging

Post by TodiCroitor »

Hi guys,
I bought my 2009 1,6 Citroen C5 recently and it already had this error. I've done 2000km motorway and is still there. I've done a little bit of research and So far not encounter a happy ending. It's my first car with DPF filter. Is this such a nightmare? I'm going to regret that?

Anyway, it se ms to that the auto regen haven't solved the problem; Image

is there anybody with a success in solving the problem?

update: I've done a test with Lexia and there is no blockage. It was 18% full and after a forced regenerating now is at 0%-1%. No faulty EGR too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by TodiCroitor on 15 Jun 2016, 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re:

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First thing, get a Lexia on it. There are several things that can cause this: low DPD additive, preventing regeneration, blocked EGR (valve sticking) which can affect the gas temperature used in regeneration; Waste gate Vacuum Solenoid failure leading to overboost, which can cause reduced performance (limp home mode).

If you get it on the Lexia, you should be able to see the
level of blockage in the DPF. If the filter is clogged up past 80-90% then regeneration may not work and the filter will need cleaning out or replacing. So a Lexia session should be one of your first actions. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re:

Post by Stickyfinger »

Also remember, a lot of M-Way driving can be at low revs.

Worth a try to keep the car in a lower gear and keep the revs up (3.5+) for up to half an hour drive up the motorway....give it some Italian tuning before the Lexia session.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re:

Post by Richard_C »

Mine (a 2.0) does this almost randomly and has done since I got it with 20k on the clock. You can go months with no warning, then 'bing bong' at the most unexpected times like travelling at speed on a Motorway in the very conditions the handbook tells you to drive at to clear it. It will have a day or two of bing bongs and then it ceases for weeks and weeks.

Iv'e never really worked it out. There may be a correlation with buying diesel at my local village garage which is not a big brand, so I've stopped doing that and maybe its less frequent now. I'm not sure of high revs help - if anything, low revs and pushing plenty of fuel through seems most likely to clear it, so going uphill in 6th on full throttle when you really should be in 4th.

The warning rarely clears whilst I am driving. Pops up on a motorway, service light stays lit, 150 miles later stop for a break and its all clear on restart.

But - nothing conclusive and the one time I did take it to a dealer lexia showed nothing amiss.

maybe maybe maybe, if you are really lucky, it will just go away. But maybe not as you have done so many miles with it on, 2000 Km is a long way.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
hayabusa1300r
My Cars: 03 Mk1 Renault Megane Cabriolet c/w Roadbox
96 XJR1200
84 GPz900r A1 - own
99 Hayabusa - own

Re:

Post by hayabusa1300r »

I'm no expert, but I believe after a certain mileage Citroen recommend renewal of the DPF - I also believe on older Citroens (earlier C5's) it was with an exchange unit. Yours has c.120k miles, so this may be the issue. I acquired a C5 2.2hdi 2002 earlier this year, and my DPF was showing "blocked". I removed and jet washed it out at, and it does seem to have worked - some 2000 miles later I seldom get the blocked message (but I think this is related to cr** being cleared through the engine - it had spent the last 50k miles being driven like a little old lady around town). when mine wasn't running well it was really poor on fuel consumption, although again I suspect other issues throwing a spin ball in - EGR and a faulty boost pressure sensor. I'm using the car for regular good runs, and it seems to be helping - the engine is a lot livelier and more economical. If you go the jet wash out route remember the run off water will be full of nasty toxins, so shouldn't go down a drain

cheers
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re:

Post by SaabC5 »

Try the forced regen on a motorway/dual carriageway. You need to get the car up to about 50mph in 3rd and leave it in third for a long period. Its not particurlarly mechanically friendly but you are trying to generate heat to burn off the carbon deposits in the DPF. Travelling at 80mph in 5th/6th wont generate the heat needed.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: 307 2.0 hdi 110
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Re:

Post by jimmymarsbar »

Failing the above "italian" methods, you could always see if the DPF is detachable from the cat (some are 1 integrated unit), and if you can separate the two, give it a good clean with carb cleaner or a steam jet wash.
TodiCroitor
My Cars: C5 1.6 Hdi vtr+ 2009

Re: Re:

Post by TodiCroitor »

GiveMeABreak wrote:First thing, get a Lexia on it. There are several things that can cause this: low DPD additive, preventing regeneration, blocked EGR (valve sticking) which can affect the gas temperature used in regeneration; Waste gate Vacuum Solenoid failure leading to overboost, which can cause reduced performance (limp home mode).

If you get it on the Lexia, you should be able to see the
level of blockage in the DPF. If the filter is clogged up past 80-90% then regeneration may not work and the filter will need cleaning out or replacing. So a Lexia session should be one of your first actions. :-D
I tested the car and everything seems fine. DPF was at 18%. done a force regenerating and now is at 0%. it was a little bit weird at DPD additive since it showed something like 30k ml. EGR was without errors.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Risk of particle filter clogging

Post by Stickyfinger »

The ONE and only time mine has thrown this fault message, I had to BOOT the Car hard just after I had started out on a cold morning due to a mad quarry truck......never since.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Risk of particle filter clogging

Post by RichardW »

What's the indicated pressure drop across the DPF? It might be that the pressure sensor is goosed and giving a high reading (it goes to 128mabr if it's had it) - it should be reading 0 at idle, and only rising to 20-30 mbar at 3000 rpm
Richard W