Various things on my Citroen C5 stopped at the same time????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Loobs
My Cars: Citroen C5

Various things on my Citroen C5 stopped at the same time????

Post by Loobs »

As I was merrily driving along, the horn suddenly sounded AND the windscreen washer spurted water??? Then both stopped and now the side lights, windscreen washer and heater blower don't work - actually scrub that - the blower works BUT only when the engine is turned off. The horn is still fine but what the hell?? How can the blower work with the engine turned off but not when it's on and why would these 3 things suddenly pack up?? I checked the fuse for the washer and that's fine (tried changing it just in case but nothing). Any ideas - could it be a major fuse that governs all 3 things (is there such a thing) or is my car haunted??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Various things on my Citroen C5 stopped at the same time????

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Welcome to the Forum.

First of all have you checked your battery condition? C5s like a lot of power and they like a well-charged battery. Many eelectrical problems can start occuring if the battery is not holding it's charge or is weak. If you are going to take the battery off and charge it - follow the BSI reset procedure listed in bullet form - failure to do this when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery can cause all sorts of electrical issues.

Just about all the kit on your car is electrical - most have a 'mini computer' (ECU) on each of the components and these talk to each other and to the BSI (Body Systems Interface) which controls most of them. Each of these will perform an action when commanded to do so by the BSI and unlike older cars, many of these components don't need the car running to work! These ECUs communicate mainly by electronic pulses in Binary code along several networks within the car.

Because of the above, it is very easy to miss the problem, without getting your car diagnosed with a Lexia (in the case of Citroen & Peugeot), which will help point you in the right direction. Here is a list of Forum members who have Lexias that are usually willing to help out - contact any on the list near to you directly:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178

The first thing to do is try a BSI reset procedure. This in effect puts the car's network and all the ECUs to 'sleep' ensuring they are all shut down properly and then wakes them up. This is like shutting down your PC and restarting it when it gets a bit sluggish and clearing the memory out by removing the power, instead of just restarting it, which keeps most of what's already in the memory there (just like when you start the car and turn it off - the ECUs still retain data as there is still power to them).

Try this first as it won't cost you a penny. But follow it precisely, as if you open any doors in the middle of the procedure you will have triggered some of the ECUs to wake up and it will be a waste of time.

BSI Rest / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

If all or any of the problems remain after you have checked your battery and performed the above procedure will likely mean you'll need to get it checked with a Lexia.

Issues with the horn, wipers and lights can oftern be attributed to the Comms 2000 (the unit that holds the stalks on the steering wheel). The electrical contacts on this unit can wear down over the years, leading to erratic behaviour. They can be repaired at a cost of the fraction of a new unit.

The other thing to look out for is to check your battery contacts to make sure they are clean and contacting well with the posts, and really importantly to check the earthing points as these can corrode and reduce effectiveness.

Another check is the engine fuse box - the contacts on these can break (dry solder joints for example) and these can cause issues with equipment.

So there's a few pointers and basic checks you can do to start with. If you still have problems after trying any / all of these, then get it diagnosed on the Lexia, clear all the fault logs and re-run the global test to see what is remaining. :wink:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Loobs

Post by Loobs »

Hi - that is so good of you, I think my battery is OK as nearly new - I do wonder whether the mice living in my engine might have nibbled something but really my only choice is to take it to a garage and ask them. This is where the fun part starts as I am currently living in France - anyone know the French for could you check ...................................? Thanks again. Laura
Loobs

Post by Loobs »

Just a thought - I will try your suggestion of the BSI reset procedure 'cos some of my doors open when I use the key fob thingy and then some don't and then do - could be a similar problem??
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Certainly sounds like an electrical problem.
I've had it a time or two.

Although you say the battery is new, do try to have it fully charged before reinitiating/refitting or fit a known good/fully charged one to test.
The problem may have been caused by either a current drain while the car is unused or a defective charging system.
Also as Marc says, it may be loose or corroded contacts or attachment points for the battery/alternator.
Loobs

Post by Loobs »

Hi - tried the BSI reset but no good - thanks for your help but off to the garage - it was worth a try though - cheers.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, well you have a few pointers anyway. Let us know the outcome. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc