Xantia Stereos

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

Xantia Stereos

Post by philhoward »

Quick one before I go any further...
A Search of the forums suggests that a DIN adaptor plate is needed for a Xantia (95), but steer clear of the Halfords one...or is it a Standard Double Din fitting?
I also want to keep the steering wheel controls (as most people seem to), which CD Tuners work with which lead sets, and which ones don't? Looks like a Sony one does...Also seen that Kenwood do adaptor leads for the steering wheel controls...anyone had any experience of them?
Any recommendations, chaps?
sheldon6

Post by sheldon6 »

try add-a-changer.co.uk
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yes I can tell you that even though the sony lead you can buy is a little expensive (about £30) it saves sooooooo much time when fitting the new sony stereo. I fitted a sony unit in to my old Xsara VTR but wanted to keep the controls. Found a site on the webb (UK audio or some thing simalar) purched the lead and fitted the stereo. You keep all the steering controls with no hassel. It also lets you use the controls for controling a CD player (track skip, scan, backwards, forwards etc) as well. So if you fit a sony radio / CD system and the lead all will work and you will only have to change the plastic suround so to fit the new unit. It's an easy job, you just plug in and fit, job done.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Well, I've got a Sony CDX-MP40 (Single CD with MP3), got the Autoleads adapter and the Autoloeads Facia plate (not the Halfords one). Fits fine and the Steering wheel controls work as well! It also comes with a little IR remote as well!
I did get another Sony Multichanger kit first, but it didn't come with the Joystick port (as required by the Autoleads adaptor for the controls), so that went back this morning.
Got the whole lot from Motormania - Lead was £35, Facia adaptor £25, Stereo £170.
Result![:D]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>Lead was £35, Facia adaptor £25, Stereo £170.
=£230. More than the Xantia????[:D][:D]
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Quote from a previous post:- "I just fitted a Sony Radio with single CD player (Sony CDX-L580X) to my Xantia to replace the original Blaupunkt unit. I also got an adaptor for the steering wheel controls and it works very well.
The Sony unit was the cheapest Halfords sold which allowed remote control from the steering wheel (130 quid). I'm very impressed with its performance, but at 4x50 watts output it makes the original Xantia speakers vibrate and kind of struggle if I turn the volume up."
Phil, I had problems fitting the Autoleads facia adaptor. I assume yours is the same as mine.
I found that the tags for the four screws were offset. Like two tags at a shallow depth and two tags were deeper set. They were in pairs diagonally opposite to each other.
I tried to fit the facia adaptor as it came but couldn't then get the finishing facia to fit.
I studied it and decided that the only thing to do was to cut off two of the tags. I think I cut off the deep tags. This meant that I only used 2 screws. The radio now sits ok and is quite firm. Although, to get the radio in deep enough I hadto use a hacksaw blade to trim off some plastic of the internal structure of the radio bay.
I got all the stuff from Halfords. I would have liked to haev seen one of their "technicians" fit the flaming thing.
It all works ok. I'm pleased with it. I just wonder if you had anything like the same problems.
Last min thoughts:-
Although I got my bits from Halfords. The leads and facia plate were Autoleads and not Halfords own make (If they infact make one...who knows ?). When I found it wouldn't fit I checked Autoleads web site and found that I had got the right facia reference no. so I must have had their standard part for the Xantia facia adaptor.
Do you know of another supplier of the facia. The one from Halfords cost me 20 quid, but Its rubbish quite frankly. I'd gladly throw it away and buy a new one that fits better.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I had a bit of a jiggle with the autoleads adapter; the screw holes all lined up ok, but it had to go to the top of the slots to clear that bit of plastic internally sticking up. Granted, it's no where as substantial as the Citroen bracket for the original stereo, but does the job quite well so far.
The cost of it isn't so much of an issue as now I can use the stereo in other after the Xantia's gone (whenever that may be...)
Not sure whether Citroen changed the facias at some point, or Autoleads have revamped their facia adaptor, but all 4 screws went in at the right depth, and the outer finisher fits on a treat.
This was the cheapest Stereo they had in which had the joystick port, but also came with a little infra-red remote as well! It also plays MP3's, so gets me off my desire for a multichanger (where woudl you fit it, anyway?).