Disable Xantia S1 passenger airbag ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Disable Xantia S1 passenger airbag ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Simon, I have a S2 center console as well that takes the switch......so would look OEM if it makes life easy
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Simon, I have a S2 center console as well that takes the switch......so would look OEM if it makes life easy
The S1 has the same centre console Alasdair, where the S2 Airbag defeat switch lives is the space occupied by the Hydractive switch in the S1. In the S2 the Hydractive switch moved to the dash...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

This might sound obvious, but ensure the ignition is off before enabling / disabling it. This is the reason why the switch is a 'key switch' on most cars, even though most keys do fit it, to ensure that you have the ignition off.

Its not in any real danger of being ignited, its more a case the fraction of a second of the 'no signal' while the switch is um switched could trigger a fault to be logged (open circuit squib or suchlike)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The disable switches are not just simple on/off switches, the on & off positions are actually 2 different value resistors. hence the reason the airbag ECU can detect a fault with it if it is unplugged or open circuit, it doesent physically interrupt the detonator circuit, depending on the resistance that the ECU sees on the disable circuit it either authorises it to fire or not. you would need to check if the ECU has the corresponding pins fitted or not. to be honest this doesent really sound like a good idea to me anyway. If it was me I personally would just unplug the airbag unit if I had to put a child seat there, the airbag warning light will serve as a reminder that it is unplugged until it is put back in.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The ones without a switch fitted are highly likely to not have the appropriate pins to add a 'disable' switch so the resistance bypass would be the only way to do it. I'm not saying I'd do it but...

The other option would be to fit the later SRS ECU unit that did have the switch capability but you're potentially opening a very big can of worms doing this what with wiring differences and potentially different gas-gen trigger currents.

The actual 'stick a resistor in' seems more common for the drivers one where an aftermarket unit has been fiitted (without 'balloon') and the owner wished to retain the use of the pretensioners.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The downside to disconnecting the passenger airbag is that it might fail the MoT (especially if things change). If you have to take the glove compartment apart to disconnect/reconnect the wire that could get a bit wearing (not to mention the fact you would have to disconnect the battery each time, and then re-configure everything that has lost it settings).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The glovebox on an S1 is a PITA of epic proportions.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:The glovebox on an S1 is a PITA of epic proportions.
Note that glovebox removal on a mk1 with passenger airbag is quite different to mk1 without. I don't recall it being too difficult once you know where the hidden screws are.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I can see her puttin' the Kybosh on that low Xantia sporty thing Simon. She'll have you driving a Korean Mpv for a pram the lot.
One of those diesel engines that sounds like an impact gun..............all Mumsnet approved! :rofl2:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I'd not worry about it too much Simon. I used a S1 Activa as our only car for 15 months after our son was born, and despite numerous trips to IKEA and the tip, I never had cause to put him in the front. Are you really going to go load lugging alone with a baby... that will need a pram as it won't be walking yet, enough times to bother with the hassle of trying to work this out?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I used a Citron AX when ours were babies... All this needing a car the size of a small lorry when you have children is bollocks...
Jim

BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: Disable Xantia S1 passenger airbag ?

Post by BenC5HDi »

CitroJim wrote:I used a Citron AX when ours were babies... All this needing a car the size of a small lorry when you have children is bollocks...
I agree totally. When I was born in was brought home from hospital in a Viva van, in one of those big silvercross prams. My dad leant on it so the springs compressed and then shoved it in the back of the van, released it, and it popped up against the roof and jammed itself in place.

We had a Simca 1000 rear engined thing after that, then a new 2CV - which a family of four went on 2 week camping holidays in, I would have been 6 and my brother 2 or 3!

I'm convinced the Berlingo is the only vehicle you need if you've got a normal sized family :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had three kids and a Renault 4, was fine
Then four kids and an Hillman Imp.
Then five kids and a GS.

The Volvo 265 was better for them though (had 11 in that one day).
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Pah! I used to throw two Alsatians in boot of Hillman Minx, put kids on roofrack and tie a hap over them, then head through Glencoe in fissing rain!!
Last edited by lexi on 04 Jun 2016, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

My wife grew up in a family with 8 children, and the family car was a 105E Anglia! It is possible that a couple of the elder children were away at boarding school, but the 2 hour drive to visit grandma on the weekend must have been interesting.