Disable Xantia S1 passenger airbag ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Disable Xantia S1 passenger airbag ?

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

My 1997 Series 1 Xantia V6 has a passenger airbag however there is no key switch in the centre console to disable it, and a warning sticker near the door not to use car seats in the passenger seat.

Now that we have a two month old it occurs to me that while his car seat currently always goes in the rear on the left hand side, there might be occasions where he would need to go in the front seat, for example if the seats were down for load carrying. Because I can't turn off the air bag I can't do this.

I know that some Xantia's had a key switch near the height control lever to disable the passenger air bag for use with car seats, is there any way to safely retrofit this ? And why have none of the Xantia's I've seen ever had this fitted ? (Is it quite rare ?) The pictures I've seen put it in front of the height control lever where the sport mode button resides, so clearly that location is not available to fit it on this car.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Disable Xantia S1 passenger airbag ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have an AirBag switch hanging on the wall (with a key) from the Green Goblin.....yours if needed. Others maybe able to tell you if it can be fitted but it looks like a simple switch to me, I would be worried about switching when live so I would not say if you can or cannot use it.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There was a switch next to the height adjuster on my MK2 (non hydractive); I had a MK1 hydractive with pass airbag; but I don't recall if there was a switch or where....no recourse to use it in those days!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is tricky... You can't just disconnect it as that will bring on the airbag warning light.

I believe (must be confirmed) that if you use a 2.2 ohm resistor in place of the airbag then the ECU will be happy. Therefore a changeover switch to select between airbag and resistor may do the job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I wonder how the original switch was wired though Jim ? Perhaps it just removed power to the ECU for the passenger bag ? Or maybe it had a special disable control line. I'd need to see a wiring diagram of a model that did have the switch fitted to know.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Simon, I can possibly find a diagram of an S2 to see how the airbag control works... Knowing where the switch is and where the ECU is, I fear the switch may just connect to the ECU under the coin tray rather to the airbag itself... Having the switch down there too would have made the wiring very easy...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I **think** (I'd have to check this) models that have the switch fitted (applies to Peugeot too) have a slightly different SRS ECU fitted. The reason being I'm reasonably sure the switch is connected to the ECU not to the 'line' itself as Jim has said. In other words there are a few extra wires on models with "disable" available.

The resistance value quoted appears about correct however.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The disable switch is wired straight to the ecu. The ecu illuminates a warning on the dash when the airbag is disabled.
However I can confirm that the 2.2 ohm resistor will work. You can use a double pole change over switch DPDT. Use one pole to switch one leg between the airbag and the resistor. Use the other pole of the switch to activate a warning lamp so the driver is aware that the airbag is disabled.
The other leg of the resistor and the other leg of the airbag can remain permanently connected together and to the wiring back to the ecu
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

BX, that's excellent and a very good idea indeed to include a warning light in the scheme... It only needs to be a small one and I'd say put it very close to or with the switch.... A bit of ingenuity could see a standard dash switch used for the purpose in one of the spare positions and a LED used within the switch to provide the warning... I'd go for a blue LED...
Jim

spider

Post by spider »

I do not want to put any dampener on this, but it may be prudent to tell your insurance people about this 'modification' even though its in the interests of safety...
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good point well made Andy...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The other issue is to make sure the airbag system gets power cleanly as the switch is used. Don't want it going off when the switch is used.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

By the look of it on service.citroen no Mk1 cars had a disable switch.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:By the look of it on service.citroen no Mk1 cars had a disable switch.
No, just a disabled glovebox :twisted: :lol:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:The other issue is to make sure the airbag system gets power cleanly as the switch is used. Don't want it going off when the switch is used.
Good point James. I'd only ever operate such a switch when the ignition has been off for at least 10 minutes to be sure... It should be OK but.... Better safe than sorry...
Jim

spider

Post by spider »

RichardW wrote:By the look of it on service.citroen no Mk1 cars had a disable switch.
I think (generally) the option to do this on PSA cars started to appear about 1998. Certainly things like later 106's / Saxo's / 306's etc had them but not the earlier ones.
Last edited by spider on 03 Jun 2016, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Andy.