2003 Xsara Battery Warning and Now Won't Start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mr McNougat
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 2003 1.4

2003 Xsara Battery Warning and Now Won't Start

Post by Mr McNougat »

A couple of days ago the battery light came on on the dash a few times on the way home. Later it became permanently lit. The following day car used briefly a couple of times but on return home it would not restart. Battery flattened trying. Tried charging battery and it took charge but will still not start and no sound of fuel pump running. Also will not jump start. All fuses fine and garage are confused. Is there anything electrical that would stop engine starting because of an underlying fault? Hoping to avoid a trip to main dealership which may not be financially viable although car is otherwise a great runner.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: 2003 Xsara Battery Warning and Now Won't Start

Post by Paul-R »

Up until the end of the second sentence I would have said that the alternator just needs replacing. My wife's car had exactly the same symptoms and we had to be recovered back home. I charged the battery and it started, which is different to your car, and then found a SH alternator from a scrappie's to fix the problem permanently.

When you say the engine won't start do you mean that it turns over but won't catch or that it won't turn over at all?

BTW, still think the alternator's had it.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ditto that. Your alternator is keeping the battery charged from using juice keeping everything running. If it has failed, then your car will eventually stop when there is insufficient charge to keep the electronic components running (think about it - fuel pump, all the ECUs, instruments, any electric pumps, injectors, lights, air blower etc.) if the alternator has gone, it won't take long for the battery to rapidly drain. No amount of jump starting will fix that without a charged battery. Added to that the condition of the battery to start with - not sure how old it is, but if near end of duty cycle it won't charge to capacity anymore, adding to the problem.

If you don't have a multimeter and you do get the car started, put the interior light on by opening one of the doors and check how bright the interior light is, then put the fan onto high and see if the light dims but then returns to normal intensity - if it stays dim then you know that the alternator isn't providing the car's electrical needs.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is possible that the brushes on the alternator have worn out. This happened on my BX, around 150,000 miles. Similar symptoms, but I was able to get new brushes for around £15. No problems after that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Bick

Post by Bick »

Change the alternator and battery and go from there
Mr McNougat

Post by Mr McNougat »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Ditto that. Your alternator is keeping the battery charged from using juice keeping everything running. If it has failed, then your car will eventually stop when there is insufficient charge to keep the electronic components running (think about it - fuel pump, all the ECUs, instruments, any electric pumps, injectors, lights, air blower etc.) if the alternator has gone, it won't take long for the battery to rapidly drain. No amount of jump starting will fix that without a charged battery. Added to that the condition of the battery to start with - not sure how old it is, but if near end of duty cycle it won't charge to capacity anymore, adding to the problem.

If you don't have a multimeter and you do get the car started, put the interior light on by opening one of the doors and check how bright the interior light is, then put the fan onto high and see if the light dims but then returns to normal intensity - if it stays dim then you know that the alternator isn't providing the car's electrical needs.
I gave the battery a good charge so assume that this ought to have been enough for it to start and run for a bit but given that the fuel pump wouldn't run even though it had power enough to continue to turn over for some time I am wondering if the alternator dying has caused it to have some sort of computer brain meltdown (forgive my technical talk!). Since going to the garage the key light came on and windows and boot failed (the latter has now rectified). They are going to get a local electrics guru to look at it. I am left wondering even if I were to get a new alternator would the car's brain know and solve it's problem or am I left with the same issues but with a nice new alternator?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The 'key' light would indicate a fault with the immobiliser.
Was the battery reinstallation procedure followed correctly? - shortcutting it can cause immobiliser faults.
Mr McNougat

Post by Mr McNougat »

myglaren wrote:The 'key' light would indicate a fault with the immobiliser.
Was the battery reinstallation procedure followed correctly? - shortcutting it can cause immobiliser faults.
Pass. Can you tell me more so I can relay it?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The battery on most 'recent' Citroens needs to be removed according to a fairly tiresome and time-consuming procedure, and reinstalled using a similar procedure.

Failure to stick to the procedure can result in a number of unpredictable errors.
I tried to hurry the procedure one morning after charging the battery overnight, failed miserably with the immobiliser locked and had to take the bus to work.
Link to 'The Procedure'.
Note that there are some variations around but this is one I found some years ago and have adhered to wherever possible.
Some of the times when I have had to skip a stage it has been OK, others not so much :(