Berlingo mass air flow sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spb1957
My Cars: Berlingo 2.0 Hdi

Berlingo mass air flow sensor

Post by spb1957 »

Hi guys
Recently tried replacing the MAF on the recommendation of a mechanic neighbour as the car was losing power on uphills. She is an old model (2004, 163,000 on the clock) and things need replacing. However, the new MAF was much worse than the old one, couldn't accelerate at all. Once she'd revved to about 2000 it felt like someone had put the brake on, but revs up fine when not i gear. Easy to say that the new part is faulty and I have spoken to the supplier who will replace it, but my concern is this......during some recent works for another matter I asked the garage to have a look at what might have been causing the power loss, but he couldn't get a reading , despite 2 different computer readers. Is it possible there's a fault with the bsi (?) that is not making the adjustments for a new MAF . Haven't had any of the odd things happening that other owners report when this part plays up. The only minor thing is that the interior lights don't switch off after locking for about 20-30 seconds
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Berlingo mass air flow sensor

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't know what sort of diagnostic readers the garages were using, but PSA cars really need the Lexia / Diagbox to get any meaningful information from the system. Generic scanners can't read some PSA cars and where they can it is only basic information. If you don't have a Lexia of your own, then here's a list of members with kit that are willing to help out:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178

Once you have undertaken a full diagnostic you should be able to get some pointers as to the problem.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bick

Post by Bick »

The guy who owns Easy Diagnostics told me that some of the older Berlingos can be a bugger to read and a Lexia clone won't read them.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Apparently there are some bad MAF's out there and you need to get a good one from a dealer or GSF - someone should be along to verify this?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bick wrote:The guy who owns Easy Diagnostics told me that some of the older Berlingos can be a bugger to read and a Lexia clone won't read them.
It'll depend on the quality of the components in the Actia - not all clones are the same, the revision, the firmware version and the software too are all factors, but I doubt you'll get anything better out of a generic scanner. There are members here with Berlingos that have their own Lexias, so should be able to confirm.

@ SPB1957 - Re the MAF - here's a guide on cleaning it in case you're going to give that a shot first:

http://www.mafcleaning.co.uk/

and here's a link to the MAF cleaners:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_nkw=m ... rmvSB=true
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

spb1957 wrote:the new MAF was much worse than the old one, couldn't accelerate at all.
Was it from Euro Car Parts by any chance ?
spb1957

Post by spb1957 »

Thanks for the replies everybody. Sorry for delays in replying but got a busy work schedule at the moment.

The part came from GSF, Vetech it says on the box.
As for cleaning, my mechanic neighbour reckons it's not worth it as he says the coating on the metal in the MAF wears off with time (?), but if the replacement I'm picking up on Tuesday doesn't work either I will try cleaning the old one anyway until I find out where the problem is.

My neighbour says he has all the modern readers and I shall be giving him the job of replacing (yet another) column control switch over the next week or so ,and hopefully he can get a read out for me while it's in the garage.
spb1957

Post by spb1957 »

Well, panic over.......got the replacement from GSF and it works like a dream, much more like the car I used to know.
Thanks for your input.