My Xantia HDi Shed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Supernaut
My Cars: 2000 W Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi SX
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Re: My Xantia HDi Shed

Post by Supernaut »

I have a claw hammer and a selection of self-tappers.

Thing is, I need to be in Glasgow for Saturday evening... Replacement core plug is due on either Friday or Saturday morning.

Do I book a train ticket or not? My brother will let me borrow his car (2001 Honda Civic Aerodeck, that I actually want to buy off him soon) if I'm really stuck.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, loads of time to swap a core plug ;)

Some people also smear a bit of Blue Hylomar around the replacement when fitting it just as an added assurance... I never have...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Supernaut
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

I was just about to ask about gasket sealant. Other guides I've seen have mentioned it.

At least it's an easy to get to core plug! I'll just need to get hold of some anti-freeze as I'd rather not top it up with just water. What colour does an HDi use?

I used to have a luminous green Audi A4 1.8T that used a rather fetching shade of pink anti-freeze.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I have used a small amount of gasket goo and smeared it round the hole before fitting the core plug.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Supernaut wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 09:41What colour does an HDi use?

Use the normal ethylene glycol blue stuff...

Don't, under any circumstances, use OAT (often lurid pink) based stuff...

These days I find it's vital to check the container to ensure it actually is ethylene glycol as colour has ceased to be a reliable indicator of composition...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Later HDis were factory fitted with OAT coolant - the Citroen stuff is almost colourless. Of course after 17 years, it could have anything in it!

All coolants contain ethylene glycol as the antifreeze - it's the anti - corrosion additives that have changed, and potentially don't get on with one another! That the plug has rusted through suggests that the anti- corrosion properties of the coolant may be exhausted anyway!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 12:12 All coolants contain ethylene glycol as the antifreeze - it's the anti - corrosion additives that have changed, and potentially don't get on with one another!

Never realised it was just the anti-corrosion additives Richard... I always thought the OAT stuff was a replacement for ethylene glycol given how potentially toxic ethylene glycol is...
Jim

Supernaut
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

My 25mm core plug arrived today!

I managed to drain the coolant...
IMG_20170810_203611.jpg
Grim!

Then I also managed to remove the core plug... 2 holes because the first pilot hole I drilled was 4mm, too loose for the screw. The 2.5mm hole worked a treat!
IMG_20170810_205000.jpg
I then found out that a 25mm core plug is not what I need. I need a 30mm. It seems a fairly common size, so I'll check the local motor factors tomorrow. Luckily I don't use the car to commute, I just cycle a mile to work!
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

CitroJim wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 13:48
RichardW wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 12:12 All coolants contain ethylene glycol as the antifreeze - it's the anti - corrosion additives that have changed, and potentially don't get on with one another!

Never realised it was just the anti-corrosion additives Richard... I always thought the OAT stuff was a replacement for ethylene glycol given how potentially toxic ethylene glycol is...

That's what I thought too!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Supernaut wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 21:17 My 25mm core plug arrived today!

I managed to drain the coolant...

IMG_20170810_203611.jpg

Grim!

Definitely due up for a change! :lol:

Good on you cycling to work :) I do the same...
Jim

Supernaut
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

Here's hoping one of the local motor factors has a 30mm core plug, and I can book the work van...
Supernaut
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

UPDATE:

30mm core plug is too loose. I also got a 32mm, which is too big.

It seems I need a 31mm core plug, which doesn't appear to exist anywhere to buy. Can anybody look up a part number for this?

Or, is the other option that I'm just not hitting the 32mm core plug hard enough, and the one I took out only looks like 31mm on my measuring tape due to being distorted when pulled out? The 32mm really doesn't want to go in, whereas the one I removed will sit snugly.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I thought the whole thing about core plugs was that they ARE slightly undersized, but convex - so when you tapped them in they spread, thus holding them in place & sealing them round their circumference.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pretty sure I looked before, and the plug is not listed separately. You might be able to find an imperial one that is a fit? 1" 7/32 is pretty close to 31mm... Or get one made to order. Or weld up the one you've got. Or find one from a stat housing from a scrappers. Or get the stat housing milled out to take a 32mm plug..... none of them particularly straight forward!
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Take the 32 mm one and give it a file round the edges, then sand paper it. Make sure the opening is clean and worked with sandpaper too. This might get you the fit you need. I replaced plenty on Land Rovers and they were always a tight fit. Need to start them off true and then use a block of wood and hammer to force them in level, till they are home.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2