Whats she worth??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ddahaa

Whats she worth??

Post by ddahaa »

I'm happy with my little ZX but I get tempted to change my car easily and I've been watching the BMW 325 TDS in the autotrader recently. I think I've just found a lovely one so my ZX might be coming up for sale (still trying to persuade the wife!!). What do you think it's worth? Has 58k miles but that will probably be 59k be next week. 5dr Volcane TD in red, 1996 on an N plate. Full history to 44k miles and regularly serviced since. Just had new front disks and pads in the last month and a full new exhaust late last year. Excellent condition and lots of MOT and TAX.
ddahaa

Post by ddahaa »

Any comments on the BMW gladly accepted, good or bad, especially if you've owned or driven one.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

according to parkers online its worth the below although thats only an idea and yours has less mileage. look in local papers and on the autotrader website for others for sale near your for an idea as well
Citroen ZX Hatchback
1.9 Turbo D Volcane 5d 1996/N
Average mileage: 70,000 miles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Price £ 14040
Dealer Retail £ 2180
Private Good £ 1890
Private Poor £ 615
Trade £ 1135
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

325 - lovely engine, shame it drives the wrong end. The 300 series is mighty cramped compared with your ZX and you might not like the offset pedal/steering position after a few 100 clicks on the motorway. Expensive service and parts and LOTS of wide guys both selling and (saying that they) service them.
//NiSk
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

Bmw 325 TDS - Great Engine, Great Chassis, Superb Build. RWD fantastic.
Rear Leg room slightly limited, , but plenty of room up front and in boot.
More expensive to maintain than the Citroen... Fuel, Tyres, Parts, Servicing...etc
Offset Pedal/Steering position - ??? - e36 renowned for its perfect Ergonimics (dash layout, Switch locations, Driving position). Its many french cars with the offset pedals(Cit Ax, Saxo...etc)
Verify Mileage, the Digital Odometer is easier to clock than analogue version, and it will hide high mileage well.
Dont rely on the Onboard Computer Service Lights, they can eaily be reset to look like its just been serviced.
Jon

Post by Jon »

"RWD far superior to FWD" ???
Yeah right, especially in snow! ha!
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

ok, lol RWD not an advantage in Ice/Snow(as I know from the other day :-S)....but for the rest of the time, its great :D
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Strange, I thought this was a Citroën -friendly site. (HOW long have Citroën been making FrWD - and why?)
//NiSk
ddahaa

Post by ddahaa »

I have owned both front and rear wheel drive cars over the years including an E30 325i sport, and I do prefer RWD. I'd guessed the servicing etc would be a bit more expensive, It would mainly be used for cummuting by me (approx 30 miles each way, about an hour each way) but also as a family car at weekends. I'm mainly drawn by the idea of a faster diesel and rwd.
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

sorry [:(], just offering opinion on Bmw as requested. (slaps himself on wrist for letting his Bmw enthusiam leak out on board[:I])
"HOW long have Citroën been making FWD - and why?" - FWD Cheaper to Design and Manufacturer, and Citroen not primarily aimed at Driver Performance/Experience market, which is what RWD offers over FWD.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Citroen introduced FWD on the Traction Avant in 1934, and have been building FWD ever since.
FWD much better for average driver, and much better in the snow....!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Yeah go for it, relative has had one for a few years, and still does not need to know where to put axel stands !!!! unlike most cit owners who can recognise the underside of there cars in the dark after a month!
Sorry but RWD rules, is a bit cramped though, and if the seller has a decent stereo set up WALK AWAY if you know what I mean, Big stereo more tempting than big service [:D][:D]
ddahaa

Post by ddahaa »

The one that I like is on autotrader for £5800 if anyone is interested. Yeah it has big alloys and some of the M3 kit fitted, but I think it looks really nice. Only problem is that I think it's in northern scotland, about 360 miles away from me!! If any one lives closer and wants to have a look at it for me, please feel free, just don't buy it before I have a chance to!!!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

ERRR How can I put this, I lived in a very poor area for many years high rate of crime etc, but a lot of the cars where beatifull just not mechaniccly maintained, Just take a look at the owner if he genuinely seems sad to be getting rid of it your usually on to a winner, If he is anyway eager,walk away there will be another better one.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Personaly I prefer FWD. As to the BMW, its a nice car, but in terms of value for money, I imagine the ZX is paid for. So do the maths on it.. It owes you nothing, performs extremely well, is comfortable, economic, reliable, etc etc..
The BMW has to be paid for, will depreciate, parts will be more expensive, vandels will notice it!! You will have second thoughts about leaving it in quiet car parks etc.. Its an uknown quantity as far as reliability is concerned, as the present owner is hardly likely to tell you much about any faults it may have..
All in all I would keep the Volcane as you WONT get what its worth when you sell it.. [:(!] ZX's are grossley under-valued, BMW's are usually a bit over-priced. Still.. It will look very pretty sitting on your drive, and you will be able to pose around feeling great tilll the novelty wears off and you see something else you fancy. [:o)]
The grass always looks greener.. [;)] but having said that, we all deserve to treat ourselves now and then.. Even if it dont make sense.. [:D] lol...