Glow plug Relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dandeeve
My Cars: Seat Leon SW FR
Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6HDI
Eunos Roadster S special 1.6

Glow plug Relay

Post by Dandeeve »

Hi, i have just bought an 06 Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi 92. 1 owner, 85,000 miles, f.s.h. Oil changed every 12 months, mileage between oil changes 6,000 to 9,500. Turbo etc seems fine at the moment, slight play (radial) at compressor end. However, when cold starting it smokes grey/white, runs a little lumpy for a minute or two, but everything fine there on. I have read this is probably due to faulty glow plug(s). However, no heater glow plug light comes on on the dash.I have been told this could be the glow plug relay.Could anyone tell me where the glow plug relay is located. Also, the EGR valve. I am assuming it is behind the heat shield on the exhaust below the turbo. (Only had the car a few days and not got the Haynes manual yet). Any help greatfully appreciated.
Cheers :)
Bick

Re: Glow plug Relay

Post by Bick »

The glow plug light only comes on at -1 and below however that does not mean to say the glow plugs are not on because they come on without you knowing it for emission purposes. I would say replace the glow plugs and put some good fuel cleaner though it and change the fuel filter for good measure.
Dandeeve

Post by Dandeeve »

Thanks for the reply Bick. Will certainly be replacing the glow plugs and fuel filter. Wasn’t aware that plugs only kick in at -1. Thanks for that information. :) Would you know where the relay is located? Just for future eeference.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hi mate i not sure they have a glow plug relay these days may all be controlled by the ecu but im not sure about this?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I expect that due to the power the glow plugs consume a relay would be essential.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Yes there must be a relay somewhere but i dont think it is the type that was fitted to earlier vehicles. I dont think it controls the duration of the glow plugs like before - im just guessing it is controlled by the ecu because the plugs are not used to start the engine just emissions.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think it's behind the LH headlamp, a sometimes silver sometimes black box.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Dandeeve

Post by Dandeeve »

Thanks for all your replies guys. Gonna put some new glow plugs in to kick off with and see how things go from there. Cheers.:-)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Glow plugs in a 1.6 HDi in a Xsara Picasso??? I suspect it would be almost easier to take the engine out.... they are on the back, well buried, and are about 6" long and like snapping off in the head as soon as you touch them. I would leave well alone unless you really really need to! Not sure where the plug relay is, I'll see if I can find out later. The EGR valve is also buried on the back of the engine, but access is not too bad once you have removed the battery, tray, air feed pipes, air filter box, fuel filter and bracket..... :-D
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A simple test to see if the power is getting to the glow plugs must surely be the way to go.
Just connecting a voltmeter between the glow plug connection and earth, switch on the ignition and see if you have 12 volts and for how long will tell you if the relay is working without having to search for it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Even that on a 1.6HDi will require you to have double jointed orangutan arms!!
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

From memory the glow plug relay is attatched to the ecu bracket. On the 1.6 It looks a bit different to traditional glow plug relays. No bolted connections, just a plug with a slide locking tab.