immobilizer fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john 1952

immobilizer fault

Post by john 1952 »

hi guys, i have bought a xsara (02) for my daughter, i have changed the cassette player with a cd player (clarion) i coded it to the car with my lexia, but when i tried to start car it would not start, and the immobilizer light is flashing on the hazard switch, has anyone had this problem, and can you give me a remedy to cure it, thanks in advance, regards, john.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: immobilizer fault

Post by Paul-R »

Did you fit the CD player and then recode at the same time or was a period before you recoded it? If there was a gap did the car start as normal?

What car did the CD player come from? I'm no expert on these things but I believe not all CD players from other Citroens (and Peugeots) are compatible.

Or was it an aftermarket Clarion CD player? In which case I don't think recoding is necessary and something else may have been changed by the Lexia.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
john 1952

Post by john 1952 »

hi paul, thanks for your reply, it was genuine clarion, from an 04 xsara, and i did code it at time of fitting ! regards, john.
john 1952

Post by john 1952 »

i have just done a diagnostic check, with lexia, and come up with these faults, it was running perfectly before i changed cassette, for cd player (which works incidentally)can anyone give me any help, or advice please, regards, john. permanent faults : (1,) engine management ecu reception, (2,) communication fault with the alarm ecu, ( 3,) communication fault between the built- in systems interface (bsi) and the ecu's on the bodywork van (4) inlet air temp. signal. CAN value not plausible,
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Do the communication errors go away and will it start with the radio disconnected ?

Have you checked all the fuses to see if one has blown ? Sounds like its reporting it is unable to communicate with the Engine ECU, Alarm ECU and BSI, which is a pretty serious failure.

My guess - either you've blown a fuse or there is a wiring mistake or fault with the radio you've fitted that is shorting out the CAN bus preventing other devices on it communicating.

CAN bus is a serial bus where all devices on the bus around the car share the same data wires - if the signal is shorted at any point they will all fail to communicate with the diagnostic tool or each other, hence the no start. It could even be something as silly as a chafed wire shorting to the chassis.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
john 1952

Post by john 1952 »

hi Simon, thanks for your reply, i have just tried with radio disconnected,and checked the fuses near diagnostic socket, they seem ok, but it still refuses to start, when ignition is turned on, alarm light flashes in hazard switch, thanks again, regards, john.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Did you disconnect the battery by any chance when you fitted the radio ? If so did you allow enough time for the BSI to power down before disconnecting ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Mandrake wrote: My guess - either you've blown a fuse or there is a wiring mistake or fault with the radio you've fitted that is shorting out the CAN bus preventing other devices on it communicating.
CAN bus is a serial bus where all devices on the bus around the car share the same data wires - if the signal is shorted at any point they will all fail to communicate with the diagnostic tool or each other, hence the no start. It could even be something as silly as a chafed wire shorting to the chassis.
I don't think you answered Simon's question regarding the wiring above - Can you confirm whether you altered / re-wired / removed / spliced any wires when fitting the CD Head unit? As we don't know the year and model of the car, it is difficult to ascertain whether this is a multiplexed vehicle or not - I believe this was intruduced on the facelifted models. However it is important to know regarding the wiring and also how you coded the CD player:

Did you use the Lexia to first 'Uninstal the Radio' and then again 'install' the CD unit? There are specific instructions to do this - and it is possible that simply removing the old unit and replacing the CD Player without first uninstalling the Radio / Cassette unit might be an issue.
Instructions:
Radio Uninstallation - Follow the instructions given in the diagnostic tool.
Procedure to be followed using the " LEXIA" diagnostic tool
Make the following selections in the diagnostic tool :
"DIAGNOSIS"
"XSARA"
"EQUIPMENT"
"RADIO"
"DE-INSTALLATION"

CD player : installation
Procedure to be followed using the "LEXIA" diagnostic tool
Make the following selections in the diagnostic tool :
"DIAGNOSIS"
"XSARA"
"EQUIPMENT"
"CD CHANGER"
"INSTALLATION"

Just follow instructions on the Lexia exactly. Computers like things to be done in the right order! :-D This might be worth a try if you still have the old unit - I would put it back and try the procedure from the start as specified.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

OP's car is 2002 and the donor car is 2004. I know from experience that 2001 Xsaras are different to the later cars on the COM2000 unit (early car has radio controls on steering wheel boss and later have them on a stalk*) and if the 2002 car is actually the early one then ISTR reading somewhere that the radio units (CD presumably) are not compatible.

As he was replacing a cassette player is it safe to assume that it must be the earlier type or were the early late types (if you follow what I mean) fitted with cassette players as well?

*The later COM 2000 apparently has provision for fitting the cruise control stalk which I would dearly have loved to do to my wife's car.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's one of the issues Paul - I think the multiplexing came on the later earlier models and this could be a possible reason as you say.
@John - can you please post or PM with your VIN so we can see what options were there at the time - it might help us further.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd have expected an 02 to be a bug-eyed multiplexed MK2 car - my Sister's is, and that was reg Aug 02.

Not sure what the OP is referring to by the immobiliser light on the haz warning switch though? AFAIK the immobilizer warning is a key symbol on the dash somewhere. I rather suspect that a fuse has blown somewhere - perhaps under the bonnet. Either that, or the battery has just gone and is causing all sorts of mayhem, as they do. Does it crank OK?
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

By bug-eyed do you mean Phase II? If so my wife's is Phase II (actually a slight hybrid as it has Phase I door mirrors - oh the fun that gave me one time). It's not (particularly) multiplexed though as it has the earlier indicator stalks and radio controls (the indicators start immediately and the headlamp flash is instantaneous) and has a cassette radio.

IIRC when the alarm is activated then the hazard switch blinks in sync with the other alarm light. This last might not be the same for all cars though as it had a volumetric alarm fitted by the previous driver.

If the car was a late registered car then it could still have been pre-multiplexed.

John 1952 - what type of radio controls does the car have? This will be a certain sign.

john 1952

Post by john 1952 »

thanks for all the advice and comments, i did reply earlier today, but my reply is not showing ! so i will answer again, i did not disconnect battery as power was needed for lexia, i did not alter any wiring, the plugs were identical, i didn't do the uninstall, but when i coded with lexia radio worked,(but i didn't try remote controls on steering wheel), it is an 02 face lift model, i have tried removing radio to see if it will start, but still got the flashing light on, and no start ! chassis number is : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], thanks again, i really appreciate all your help ! regards, john.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

john 1952 wrote:... remote controls on steering wheel...
Are they on the steering wheel boss or on a separate stalk on the right?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK - Now we have the info - I'll have a run through and see if we can identify what's what.
The car was registered 01/03/2002 (XSARA II) and has the 'RB2 Radio Cassette Audio System', (No Cruise Paul)
Your RB2 Unit:

The Correct CD Unit for this Model:

When you configured the CD - from what I'm looking at, the only option (apart from coding the unit to the vehicle) that mentions the CD is actually to do with the CD-Changer unit - which I assume you did not fit - as there is only one compatible unit with this vehicle. Therefore, check to see if you have enabled the 'CD Changer' and disable it back to 'NO' as this is only for the 6 CD Changer that is stored in the left hand side of the boot.

Note: It seems the configuration needs to include configuring of the Multifunction Screen with the Lexia too. Did you see an option to do this John?

Marc