Power steering Fluid type?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ANTH

Power steering Fluid type?

Post by ANTH »

My power steering seems to be lacking power when starting up can seem to find the type in the hand book that it uses so I can top it up?

Citroen C5 2009 138 nav+ not the hydraulic suspension.

Possibly LDS from some posts but not sure if thats just for the hydraulic suspension type... Very confusing
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Power steering Fluid type?

Post by vborovic »

ANTH wrote:My power steering seems to be lacking power when starting up can seem to find the type in the hand book that it uses so I can top it up?
Possible steering rack leak? That's how it started on mine at least on 140.000 km ... The non-hydractive power steering fluid for the X7 is Total's Fluide DA
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Was there not much discussion that, at present, LDS has the same specification and, if available cheaper than DA, could safely be used?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Paul-R wrote:Was there not much discussion that, at present, LDS has the same specification and, if available cheaper than DA, could safely be used?

Yep - there appears to be naff-all difference between Fluide DA and LDS. They both have the same spec and some Cit garages seem to only use LDS on the C5 X7 regardless of whether the car is Hydractive or steel sprung. There's not a massive price difference between the two products, but one may be easier to obtain than the other.
As Vborovic says though, check for a leaking steering rack as this will cause a fluid loss - a puddle of fluid under the car would be a good indicator. It is possible to see where the fluid leaks from (basically, where the steering column shaft enters the steering rack) by looking through the drivers side wheel arch and following the line of the steering rack until you see where the column comes down into the rack. A torch may be useful, and it will help if you remove the drivers side roadwheel as well !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
ANTH

Post by ANTH »

Thanks guess I will have to get some tomorrow and hope it's not the rack leak