DPF removal? Better think again!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: DPF removal? Better think again!

Post by Mandrake »

Paul-R wrote:
white exec wrote:Do wonder, too, about the 'whole life' emissions of these systems, i.e. total output resulting from normal driving and regeneration/cleaning.
Me too. I remember some ten or fifteen years ago that it was reported that diesel engines had higher NOx emissions than petrol when the engine was new but that, because a petrol engine wears quicker than a diesel one, over the whole lifetime of an engine a petrol one emitted more NOx than a diesel.
I'd like to see some evidence of that, because I find the claim highly dubious. Even if we accept that petrol engines "always" wear quicker than diesel engines, by what mechanism does that "wear" increase NOx production to or beyond diesel levels ? NOx production difference between petrol and diesel engines is largely due to the fundamental operating condition differences of petrol and diesel.

NOx production favours high temperatures, high pressures, and abundant oxygen supply. A diesel engine combustion chamber runs at higher temperatures than petrol, much higher pressures, and runs very lean any time you don't have your foot planted to the floor. Air flow is not throttled on a diesel so a light throttle means a very lean mixture with loads of oxygen and nitrogen present in the cylinder.

Add the high pressure and temperature and you get a lot of NOx produced. This is a fundamental limitation of the diesel combustion cycle - you can only lower NOx by lowering cylinder temperatures and oxygen/nitrogen availability (EGR) or filtering it out post combustion using something like SCR. The EGR valve blanking that everyone seems to love to do will cause the NOx emissions to go way up in a diesel as it is primarily there for NOx reduction. [-X

A petrol engine on the other hand has a throttle plate to restrict air flow, (thus reducing oxygen and nitrogen availability when only a small amount of fuel needs to be burnt) never runs lean (not on purpose anyway) and either runs at stoichometric when cruising, (carefully fine tuned with the oxygen sensor) rich when accelerating, or with no fuel injected at all when coasting on the overrun. You can see typical NOx production on a petrol engine as a function of mixture here:

This graph shows the raw output of the engine before the 3 way cat. The higher levels of NOx produced by a lean mixture don't occur in practice because the engine doesn't operate in this region.
I wonder whether that is still true and, if so, why aren't petrol engines being chased to fit AdBlue systems as well.
Because petrol engines don't produce anywhere near as much NOx as a diesel engine. No special emissions control equipment needs to be fitted to a petrol engine to easily out perform a diesel in NOx emissions, even a diesel with NOx reduction emissions equipment.

Just look at the Euro standards for NOx for passenger petrol and diesel engines:

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php

Although Euro 6 requirements are very tight for both petrol and diesel, look back to for example Euro 3, set in the year 2000 - the limits are 0.5 g/km for diesel and 0.15 g/km for petrol. Why ? Because a petrol engine of the day could easily meet 0.15 without any emissions control equipment (beyond the standard 3 way cat and oxygen sensor) while a diesel engine of that era could not feasibly meet 0.15 without loads of added emissions equipment that wasn't standard fit at the time.

Diesels are catching up to petrols for NOx performance but only by adding loads of additional emissions controls systems, which until recently people saw fit to remove/disable to save themselves a few quid... :roll: Now the chickens are coming home to roost as the law starts to clamp down on such activities.

While a petrol engine typically produces more CO2 (which is an unavoidable product of hydrocarbon combustion) than a diesel due to being less efficient in terms of MPG, there is no question that the exhaust of a petrol engine with a 3 way cat and an oxygen sensor is "cleaner" in almost every other single regard than a diesel, both because the raw output of the engine before emissions devices is so much cleaner, and also because its possible to use a 3 way cat on a petrol engine while a diesel is forced to use a 2 way cat (due to running lean all the time) and a conglomeration of other emissions devices and techniques. Those that think otherwise are deluding themselves. :lol:

There is no "hidden cost" in emissions control equipment of a petrol engine like there is with a DPF etc on a diesel that need periodic repair or replacement - in theory a 3 way cat in a petrol engine can last forever unless the engine has a major fault that causes lots of raw unburnt fuel to be dumped into the exhaust overheating the cat - but these days quality of cats is sufficient and ECU's are smart enough to detect problems and shut off fuel supply to a faulty cylinder that this is a rare occurrence and would only happen if a driver knowingly drove the car hard and long with a severe misfire.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No - you are right Paul, it uses both additives, Adblue first for the NOx conversion and the traditional Cerine Eolys for the DPF element as normal to trap the particulates.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I have no evidence as such. It's just something I remember from reading Diesel Car magazine. I don't think they put forward any evidence in that article but maybe they had done so in other pieces they had run. This was at the time that the VED was changing from capacity basis to CO2 emission basis and in order to pay for diesel's supposed "dirtiness" there would be a £5 extra charge on diesels. So that would place it in 1999 or 2000 I suppose. There was an on-line consultation that the DTp ran for the public's comments.

As I said - I don't know. I was looking for information about the state of things today.

Things certainly go in cycles with petrol versus diesel. First petrol engines had cats forced on them, then diesels had cats - albeit, as you state, 2-way. Petrol engines then went to injection, which diesels had always been of course, removing one of their cost advantages. I couldn't say whether petrol or diesel engines were the first for computer control of engine management so that's probably equal. Diesels then had particulate filters and, latterly, NOx reduction devices fitted. I just figure it's about time that petrol engines were subject to close scrutiny again.

The limits for diesel engines were surely set to allow the very many early engines to get through. Whenever my two early millennium cars went in for MOT testing they sailed through the particulates test with levels way below the limit.

Deluding? I don't think so. I do think that diesel has become the whipping boy for those with an axe to grind though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I still haven't had any response about whole life emissions though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Paul-R wrote:Are you sure about this? About half way down the page at the PSA site implies that both are fitted.
I thought so, but maybe not.... I had looked on service.citroen, and for cars with SCR I couldn't see a DPF additive tank, but maybe it's moved....
Richard W
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

.............Ford fitted EGR to its line of petrol engines in the late 90's i believe, was this to lower NOx output? cant see any other reason.

does anyone have an emmissions print out for their HDi equiped vehicle?, this is rather interesting and i think i will check my sheets when i get home and see what they show for petrol.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

EGR is certainly there to reduce NOx. ISTR it lowers the temperature of the combustion which, in turn, reduces the NOx.

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Deanxm wrote:.............Ford fitted EGR to its line of petrol engines in the late 90's i believe, was this to lower NOx output? cant see any other reason.

does anyone have an emmissions print out for their HDi equiped vehicle?, this is rather interesting and i think i will check my sheets when i get home and see what they show for petrol.

D
I had a '95 Mondeo (sorry) for a short time around 2000 and I can confirm that had EGR, it was a 1.8 petrol engine. One of its faults actually (dealer diag) was an EGR issue from what I recall vacuum pipe had split.

Vauxhall also did this too, we had a 1600 Astra (Y plate) with EGR. The older 8v engine not that curious Ecotec lump. Interestingly there was an ECU update to disable the EGR but not many dealers it seemed would entertain you unless you made a lot of noise about it.

On topic: I do wonder if the reason for disabling / removal DPF / EGR is not one of improved efficiency I wonder if its more to increase reliability rather than anything else. I know this is a bad example but the DW8 EGR is a prime candidate here, I know things have moved on a bit though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Yes i had a 1.8 (also sorry) and that cought fire when the EGR stuck open and got so hot it set fire to the insulation on the bonnet and firewall.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Stronger bottom end and diesel cylinder lubricity were a factor for oilers doing big miles .
Improved metallurgy, design and oil quality have seen petrol engine improve a lot on mile munching.
There are Accord petrol's around with 1 million miles on them...............USA with cheap fuel of course. Even little Clio 1.2's have 250k on some of them. I reckon a good petrol could do massive miles if running constantly and hot, like taxi or motorway cars. The thing is that big miles on a petrol means big money. Less it is a 40-50 mpg petrol..........................who would want to do 300k and count the fuel spent at 33mpg?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
rookie
My Cars:

Re: C8 Woe's

Post by rookie »

Hi Give Me a Break
Thanks for the comment, and the link, I have read that and lots more besides.
An MOT tester is not allowed to remove anything from the vehicle, that inlcudes such things as "Copper Slip" applied over rusty brake pipes, nothing whatsoever is allowed to be removed by an MOT tester.

The time an MOT tester has to spend, or wants to spend, doing an MOT is limited, the equipment they use (inlcuding the emissions equipment) is already complicated and the smallest amount of soot cam make them innoperable. Add to that the pressure of such establishments as Kwik Fit etc to get as many tests/day, then it is easy to see that no changes will be made to the present MOT in regards to DPF. The Tester is not allowed to strip the canister to inspect it and nor do I suspect they have any wish to do so. A visual external inspection is all that is allowed and the cost of introducing equipment sophisticated enough to test the FAP would put many MOT stations out of business

I find it strange that Governments and organisations manage to mention the pollution discharged by motor vehicles yet flying overhead is a plethora of aircraft filling the worlds airways with all kinds of even worse pollutants. Still, I suppose it's hard to get their heads around the concept when they are laid back in their club class seats with the old G&T in their hands.

In 2015, worldwide flights caused 781 million tonnes of CO2 to fall onto the earth, but hey, best not mention that.

Hi Bick
I actually forgot to tighten the turbo drain flange enough, so when I started up, as you can imagine, I got a massive puddle of oil on the ground. I know that's not an exact measurement, but for the few seconds it was running, the puddle seems to indicate that there is at least plenty of oil passing through, not sure how I can measure the flow though so any hints would be welcome.
Yes, I unplugged the MAF, strangely it made little or no difference to the running of the car (I wish I had my Lexia back) so perhaps you could be on the right track. Will have to try to get hold of another MAF to try it, though I have heard that the copies on ebay etc are not worth even bothering with. Lord knows what a genuine one will cost..

Cheers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C8 Woe's

Post by GiveMeABreak »

rookie wrote:Hi Give Me a Break, Thanks for the comment, and the link, I have read that and lots more besides. An MOT tester is not allowed to remove anything from the vehicle...Not in Dispute
The time an MOT tester has to spend, or wants to spend, doing an MOT is limited...
...A visual external inspection is all that is allowed and the cost of introducing equipment sophisticated enough to test the FAP would put many MOT stations out of business
Irrelevant - you are either approved as a test centre or not and if you are, you need to have the appropriate testing equipment
I find it strange that Governments and organisations manage to mention the pollution discharged by motor vehicles yet flying overhead is a plethora of aircraft filling the worlds airways with all kinds of even worse pollutants. Still, I suppose it's hard to get their heads around the concept when they are laid back in their club class seats with the old G&T in their hands.
Not in dispute
Technically it isn't actually illegal to removal the DPF - but it is illegal to drive on the road, a vehicle that has had the DPF removed:
"According to the Department for Transport, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3)) to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use".
Insurance
"You must notify your insurer if the vehicle is modified but such a modification could in turn invalidate any insurance cover because it makes the vehicle illegal for road use".

I think the point is there is no moral justification for removing the DPF - it is a safety device. All forms of polluting transport are gradually being improved to reduce the various pollutants being generated - by having the filter removed, an individual is deliberately bypassing the safety device and is making a conscious decision to pump lethal particulate matter into the atmosphere.

They are now clamping down and fining companies who are removing these filters - and although some UK companies are being returned in 'DPF removal' search engine results, when you go to their websites, many are no longer offering the service, but instead are offering DPF cleaning services, which can be a much more cost-effective solution to a clogged DPF than a replacement in some cases.

Marc
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Removing a DPF is also an offence on a road car, as there is a person that "causes or permits" element in the Construction and Use regulations 1986 (section 61 from memory)

R
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

triumphtoledo wrote:Removing a DPF is also an offence on a road car, as there is a person that "causes or permits" element in the Construction and Use regulations 1986 (section 61 from memory)
R
That is my understanding too - some places are hiding behind the fact that it isn't actually illegal to remove a DPF, it is illegal to drive it on a public road if it has been removed. So some companies are saying - we don't remove it but we'll do the ECU mods to delete it! Or worse IMO is that they try and sound all official by saying "Contrary to what's been published on the web, it is not illegal to remove a DPF..." or similar, but don't go on to tell you that you can't drive it on a public road or about the insurance. I mean really, are there that many people who have an 'off-road' vehicle that stays off road, that would want a DPF removed?

Marc
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Interesting Marc - I am looking into a similar topic for work, regarding the sale of illegal car parts (or parts that are not compliant with Type Approval, when they need to be). Sellers bury their heads on the sand and either do not realise or refuse to realise that it is an offence to sell vehicle parts that are non-compliant, when compliance is required. Therefore, the law is pretty clear. Enforcing it is another matter :)