DPF removal? Better think again!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: DPF removal? Better think again!

Post by Mandrake »

Good point Ben. I paid £480 for a Xantia V6 that had only done 65k miles and have done 10k miles on it in the coming up on 2 years that I've had it and have probably only spent about £600-700 on catch up maintenance including a full set of spheres...so total cost of ownership has been very low.

(That will go up a bit soon when it gets a set of tyres, but all cars wear tyres...)

Petrol costs me a bit but the car was a real find for the price and is a joy to drive. :)
Last edited by Mandrake on 11 May 2016, 17:26, edited 3 times in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Mine regens just fine, commute 9 miles each way, DPF stays clean as a whistle, trouble is its not very good at doing it without filling the sump with diesel, it is getting better with age but not what i would expect.

I think top speed of a car is very important, a car that will only do 90 will be a dog to drive on the motorway, a car that is able to hit 155 is going to purr at 70 so i kind of view the top speed figures more like a guage of refinement.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think one thing that is (was?) overlooked, unless it has changed the early DPF's at least were meant to be replaced occasionally too. Owners were not very happy at the 700+ odd in addition to the large service cost for this.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

One thing I'd like to know (I've not seen it but I've not really looked for it) during a 'regen' either on the road or forced, what is the actual pollution output and what is its content while its um 'cleaning' the DPF ?

Perverse logic might suggest that the DPF is simply 'storing' the 'nasties' then releasing them later, although I realise that's **not** the case given the chemical process of the Eolys fluid, although that's not very pleasant stuff...

Genuine question from someone who is curious...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Its a good question and what i do know is that the DPF is a store for hydrocarbon based particulate matter and the eolys fluid (although it very tricky trying to find out what it actually is or does) helps complete the burning off of these particles all the time but the car needs to run with elevated exhaust temps to work efficiently, if you potter everywhere it just doesnt work and eventially the DPF cloggs.
I have heard it said that the Eolys fluid lowers the temperature at which these particulates burn and while a significant amount is ejected from the exhaust an aweful lot more is burnt and it is evident the net result is lower particulate emissions.

Adblu i was suprised to learn is just Urine and water which is injected directly into the exhaust of comercial vehicles purely to lower NoX emmissions, ive always wondered why the two systems cannot be combined to reduce particulate AND NoX.

The newer system with which my truck is equiped is slightly more simple, it adds a second dose of fuel on or near the exhaust stroke to create a burn in the exhaust and raise exhaust gas temps and so achieve the same burn in the DPF as an eolys system would but without having to run the engine hard which is done under certain conditions, this does make the truck drop a bit of power and economy (10mpg reduction) during a regen and on many manufacturers vehicles results in oil contamination with fuel but my truck will regen on the 8 mile drive home through 30-40mph limits at 2k rpm, i dont think the eolys based system can do this. This new type system is the only type that does a regen where the engine ecu actually says "lets do a regen" and alters injection maps to achieve glowing mainfold temps rather just waiting for you to get the hammer down (which may never happen.

So far as i can see the Eolys based systems do not "regen" they will make eolys present in the fuel at all times and when you dive the car in a way that creates high egt's the particulates will burn, no heavy right foot = no high egt = no burn. A forced regen looks like the ecu just props the throttle open for as long as it takes to see below threshold pressure upstream of the DPF.

Correct me if im wrong but thats the way i understand it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Deanxm wrote: Correct me if im wrong but thats the way i understand it.

D
OK :-D

The DPF collects the soot particles - regenerating it causes these to burn off which produces CO2. The tail pipe of a DPF car should be clean, so no 'nasties' are released - although there is a higher CO2 emissions for the time it is regenning. There's usually plenty of oxygen available in a diesel exhaust, but I guess it's possible that some CO is made.

The Eoyls lower the ignition temperature of the soot, making it easier to re-gen. It's possible for a eoyls system to passive regen on a decent run if it gets hot enough; however, forced regen is more common. To do this it does alter the map, and on most cars bypasses the intercooler, and possibly does some post injection to get the exhaust temp high enough to light off the DPF. Non-eoyls systems require a higher temperaure, which is why they are prone to ending up with diesel in the sump, as much more post injection is required.

Oddly, the latest PSA systems with adblue don't use Eoyls, But I don't know if this leads to a tendency to overfill the sump.
Richard W
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Smartass :lol:

Thats interesting and makes a lot of sense, the HDI system is more advnced than i thought then and certainly better than the newer additive free solution in fact.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Deanxm wrote:Smartass :lol:
Thats interesting and makes a lot of sense, the HDI system is more advnced than i thought then and certainly better than the newer additive free solution in fact.
D
I think I've put a link previously on the principle, but here it is again from PSA:
http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/en/f ... ate-filter
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Sorry, but I can't excited about DPF or NOx systems which currently rely on what is described above.

Do wonder, too, about the 'whole life' emissions of these systems, i.e. total output resulting from normal driving and regeneration/cleaning.

Wonder whether the car manufacturers have kept a bit quiet about the purging cycles, preferring to concentrate on the cleaner normal driving part of usage. Would they do such a thing?

Have just read a few articles about Mazda's Skyactiv-D engine design. Looks like a good route, and without all the clutter and compromise of DPF and NOx systems. Haven't managed to find any long-term test reports on the engine's durability and emissions, though.

Roll on all-electrics, and we can forget all of this.
Chris
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

white exec wrote:Do wonder, too, about the 'whole life' emissions of these systems, i.e. total output resulting from normal driving and regeneration/cleaning.
Me too. I remember some ten or fifteen years ago that it was reported that diesel engines had higher NOx emissions than petrol when the engine was new but that, because a petrol engine wears quicker than a diesel one, over the whole lifetime of an engine a petrol one emitted more NOx than a diesel.

I wonder whether that is still true and, if so, why aren't petrol engines being chased to fit AdBlue systems as well.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

RichardW wrote:Oddly, the latest PSA systems with adblue don't use Eoyls, But I don't know if this leads to a tendency to overfill the sump.
Are you sure about this? About half way down the page at the PSA site implies that both are fitted.

How does the Blue HDi exhaust line work?

The Blue HDi exhaust line comprises two key subsystems:
•A PSA Peugeot Citroën additive Diesel Particulate Filter which drastically reduces the particulate emissions by 99.9% in terms of number, whatever their size and driving conditions.
•An SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system upstream of the aDPF which reduces till 90% of the nitrogen oxides (NOx) produced by the engine.

http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/en/f ... -reduction
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The new Blue HDi systems use the Adblue as well as the Eolys for the DPF part (the Particulates removal operation) and the SCR for the NOx reductions, as far as I can see.
Edited to clarify both types are used.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 17 May 2016, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I certainly don't read it that way. The description in the text is a bit nebulous about the DPF additive but the YouTube video linked to in the first bullet point states that the additive is in-tank.

Besides I can't see how, chemically, AdBlue would affect the combustion temperature in the DPF as it is not a catalyst as such. In fact as it's urea, which is an organic compound, it would surely not make it through the ceramic NOx reduction substrate in any meaningful quantity.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Adblue is in a separate tank though - on some vehicles it is filled via the boot and others via the fuel filler Paul.

Filler in Fuel Cap
Filler Tank - Boot

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

That doesn't mean that there isn't a tank elsewhere for the Eolys though. Just that AdBlue needs topping up more often.