C5 in for MOT tomorrow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: C5 in for MOT tomorrow

Post by elma »

I think you hit the nail on the head with this bit Bobbins.
bobins wrote:A good indication of a roadworthy vehicle would be one that met the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations and/or Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations.
They are basically the law and the highway code is an instruction book written around these two sets of regulations (and some others).

It covers the sidelight scenario clearly in part 23(3)(C) which is actually quite interesting for a page of regulations.

What I found most interesting is that short of a brand new car straight off the forecourt no vehicle really fully meets these standards. Even dirt on the number plate is in contravention of these regulations. I've found this when reading insurance documents as well as numerous contradictions.

I think like all things the whole road traffic act, insurance and roadworthiness debate is set by precedent and reason. We know when we're taking the mick and with investigation so do police officers and insurance companies. If you choose to drive a car with a fault and it causes an accident you're probably screwed whatever the fault. However insurers and Police can't go after every missing number plate light and if seen to be unreasonable all hell can break loose so I guess its about common sense more than anything.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

elma wrote:
What I found most interesting is that short of a brand new car straight off the forecourt no vehicle really fully meets these standards. Even dirt on the number plate is in contravention of these regulations. I've found this when reading insurance documents as well as numerous contradictions.
I think it's quite possible for a brand new car straight off the forecourt to fail the C+U Regs or RVL Regs - I know I've been dazzled by Xenon / HID headlamps many times on new or near new cars. The RVL regs say: "No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used.........Headlamps........ so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road." :)
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... on/27/made

As you say though - common sense must prevail. Now........ is there a regulation governing common sense ? :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Yes those horrible new lights are dazzling from the off, probably get more legal with wear and tear.

I don't think common sense is allowed in regulations, we'd not need them if we all had it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As I understand it, common sense is not that common, and becoming rarer each year.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I much prefer those "horrible new lights". They have much better definition of beam pattern, and aren't dazzling if you don't stare into them. They're also *far far* better to drive at night with.

Old fashioned lights are far worse for being badly adjusted and having scattered beams.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

These horrible new lights are fine if they are adjusted properly. What I hate is the chavs who put illegal aftermarket blue HID bulbs into their stock headlights. It was a set of them which blinded me resulting in me writing off my c5
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2