Citroen dispatch 2l hdi non starter (veg/bio probably used)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jambo1uk
My Cars: Citroen dispatch 2l hdi
Renault master 2.8 high top

Citroen dispatch 2l hdi non starter (veg/bio probably used)

Post by jambo1uk »

Hi I'm new here I'm Jamie from UK and I'm trying to get a citroen dispatch working it could have had veg oil bio or whatever in it I don't know what type was used so far I have

Dropped the fuel tank cleaned the pump the tank the fuel lines cleaned the fuel filter changed the fuel pressure sensor/commonrail and have 2 injectors I know are good removed the others and cleaned those

It turns over but won't start it was blowing from no 1 injector that's now sorted I had air in fuel supply that's sorted I have a clear pipe from fuel filter to pump and on all spill pipes no signs of bubbles or air now

I have tried a new battery and it nearly goes untill I let go of the key I have not been able to bump start it as yet I had codes read but they could be from ages ago there were no new codes coming up I guess as it won't start so where do I go from here please any advise? Ps the pump in the tank hums on key and has filled filter and injector spill pipes thanks Jamie.
Bick

Re: Citroen dispatch 2l hdi non starter (veg/bio probably used)

Post by Bick »

Is it turning over fast enough?

I ask as the 2.0hdi engines have a problem where the stator motor gets worn and just doesn't turn fast enough to get the injectors working.
jambo1uk

Post by jambo1uk »

It seems to be yes I have tried a new battery on it o be sure that it's getting a good amount of current as the battery that was on it seems a little slow
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The HDi engine has to spin at a certain RPM before the injectors get triggered. There also has to be a high pressure available on the fuel rail (I think it is 200BAR). There are other conditions that need to be met (but I cannot recall what they are), and if any are not achieved the engine will not start.

I do not know what the age of the starter motor is, but I had to replace the starter motor on my C5 recently, as it was on the way out. Cost me about £120 (from GSF), but I got a refund on the old motor, so not too bad. She starts much more quickly, as the RPM is being achieved almost instantly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

There's quite a difference between veg and bio even if they are from the same source. Can you be more sure about which has been used?

Bio is generally safe if from a reputable source. My brother buys bio for his L/R 110 and occasionally gets me a few 25l drums of the stuff. Although I haven't used it in the X7 yet I have put it in both the 2003 C5 and the Xsara at anything up to about 90% bio without a problem.

Straight veg oil (SVO) is a different matter and shouldn't be used in an HDi engined car although it's fine in the older technology XUD and XUDT engines
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
jambo1uk

Post by jambo1uk »

Sorry I can't be sure what it was I have just tried changing the crankshaft sensor that made no difference either :-(
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Do you get any warning messages coming up? Assuming the Dispatch have that kind of display. Things such as Immobiliser fault? Are there any warning lights left illuminated after most of them have switched off after the first few seconds when the "ignition" is switched on?

Where in the UK are you? The Dispatch would probably benefit from having its codes read by a Lexia or Diagbox. These can give more information than generic code readers. Many members here offer their services - usually at the cost of tea and biscuits.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

jambo1uk

Post by jambo1uk »

Codes have been read by delphi the ones that were on it could date back to God knows when and were :
P1614 power supply sensor circuit short to battery

P0604 computer analogue/digital converter fault

P0121 accelerator pedal signal 1 short to earth or positive
P0121 as above signal 2

P0190 fuel pressure sensor circuit sensor feed fault

P0235 turbo pressure signal short to earth or positive

P1108 fan unit high speed circuit open or short to earth

That's all the codes that were on it none have come back after wiping them it shouldn't be an immobiliser fault as fuel is getting past the fuel filter I belive this is where the immobiliser would stop the fuel after reading lots of posts on various forums and I'm in West Wales hopefully I have someone coming to help try bump starting and have live data read if we can with delphi again
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If none of the codes have come back (yet!) then that should mean that they were either temporary or the fault was fixed. Maybe some of the codes will only come back only with time while the engine is running - a bit of catch-22 situation of course.

The P0190 fault could still be a problem. If the high pressure isn't high enough it'll be a pig to start. I think that if the low pressure is at fault it'll just plain refuse to fire.

Has the car had any work done on it recently? Timing belt for instance? Was it working fine until a certain time or is the car one that was given to you to try to sort out?

jambo1uk

Post by jambo1uk »

It's one of them if you fix it you can buy it cheap if you can't fix it I'll take it back probably drop a new one in it type things he has given me it to sort with a spare parts van too all I know is it used to start with a bump start and that it's had something other than just diesel in it that's why I cleaned the tank filters etc so with no codes as yet and sorted what I have I'm stumped I know fuel is getting to the injectors I know it isn't the pressure sensor/rail/crankshaft sensor/ as for pressure at the rail I read if you unplug the sensor there it would see above what's needed as a default so that would rule that out?
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

You could try "Easy Start" a spray of that near the intake whilst turning over will usually start anything.. then once it has run for a while, perhaps it will start again. Happened to mine once.. stopped at a garage filled with fuel and she wouldn't start... just turned over... called the AA man and after some head scratching used the Easy Start method.. she's run like a dream ever since.. never discovered what was wrong.
Good luck,
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As I said earlier, if the fuel pressure is not high enough the various ECUs won't attempt to even inject the fuel into the cylinders. IIRC the minimum pressure is 200BAR (but it might be as high as 300BAR).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

IF you need to use EasyStart, spray it engine side of the MAF
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jambo1uk

Post by jambo1uk »

Tried easy start still no joy but timing belt is loose so need to replace that now
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ah, well, that could explain it. Fingers crossed that is all that needs to be done. I don't know if you know this, but the water pump on an HDi engine is prone to leak if it gets disturbed, so most people replace them as part of the timing belt replacement procedure. I have not (yet) had the joy of doing this!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+